Should I throw away my Humax because of my new TV?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
humax_hdr-1000s_freesat_plus_recorder_with_freetime_3.jpg

I've just picked up an LG OLED TV (at a knock down price) to convert from my beloved Plasma.

Fantastic picture, gorgeous colour / blacks, upscaling, more Internet TV (Iplayer etc) and 4k / HDR content becoming more generally available through Netflix. And plenty of modern movies "generally available" for watching. Straightforward.

But... (It's tech, there's always a but)

Although the TV has both Freesat & Freeview tuners, I hate the LG Smart TV programme guide (all those figging irrelevant channels), and I'm sceptical about the ability to file recorded programmes.

So, I'm thinking that I should KEEP my Humax Freesat PVR, with its clear programme guide and clear precise listings of old recordings.

I just want to be able to see what's on less than a dozen HD TV Channels. Basically BBC, ITV, 4. And then record them automatically for watching later.

Am I right - is a PVR such as Humax, SKY or Virgin, still the best way to control channels, see upcoming content, schedule recordings, and see past live TV?

"What does the team think?"

Last edited:
You should be able to customise the channel view so it only shows you those you're interested in. My Samsung TVs have that feature and I'd be surprised if LG doesn't too.

That's the problem with new tech- there's often a steep learning curve. :(
If your old system does what you want then why change. Online /On demand content is fine but if your internet access goes down [ Does happen at internet service provider or content server level occasionaly] you would still have your recorded content to watch on the HUMAX?

Our Sony 'smart' tv comes with the Freeview players and I thought, great one less bit of kit to connect/configure etc...

Wrong!

The inbuilt Freeview player is a *******ised version and a real PITA, slow, clunky and rubbish. Recording requires extra kit (USB disc etc..). So I purchased a Humax PVR with Freeview+ and it's brilliant. Does everything it should and snappy, consistent and predictable.

But

The Sony does online content from Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, sooo much better, in regard to picture quality (4k) and HDR... So day-to-day viewing done via the Humax and film watching via the Sony..

Last edited:
Exactly as I'm thinking...

The inbuilt Freeview player is a *******ised version and a real PITA, slow, clunky and rubbish. Recording requires extra kit (USB disc etc..). So I purchased a Humax PVR with Freeview+ and it's brilliant. Does everything it should and snappy, consistent and predictable.

But The Sony does online content from Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, sooo much better, in regard to picture quality (4k) and HDR... So day-to-day viewing done via the Humax and film watching via the Sony..

Yep - exactly my reaction after configuring it yesterday. The Apps are easier to pick from the pop-up menu.

The only remaining minor aggravation is configuring my (non-Humax) video library on another local drive, which apparently can't be my networked Apple Time Capsule.

LG_EG960_large_07.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom