Should Ronnie Biggs be released from Prison ?

Should Ronnie Biggs be released from prison

• Yes - now

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Yes - sometime in the future

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • No - never

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
Should Ronnie Biggs be released from prison

The guy's 80 now isn't it? Can't really pose a threat to anyone can he?

Can't see him holding up much trains these days, unless it's by the amount of time it takes him to get on or off one.

According to reports he has had a few strokes which has left him unable to walk or talk.
It has been suggested he will be released from prison July/August 2009.

However, perhaps it might be better to ask the family of the train driver that died later from complications from injuries sustained in the robbery.

Personally, I think he should not be allowed out until his sentence has been fully served.
Not so much as to punish him, but to serve as a deterrent to others.
Just my opinion.

YES

its just BS that he is in still

if that was a normal crime then he would have been out years ago as the sentance would have been alot smaller but as it was a crime v the state/queen ect. they came down very heavy on them

my mate was arrested for the train robbery too

if it happend today he would get a weeks community service as crime these days seems no longer to be seen as a problem by them upstairs

killing 6 people as he was asleep in his lorry and gets 3 yeras and they did not even bother to try him for the higher offence

like the brazilian case the judge told them they were not allowed to even consider finding them guilty, utter BS

However, perhaps it might be better to ask the family of the train driver that died later from complications from injuries sustained in the robbery.

ISTR he died of cancer.

However the myth persists because he never returned to work after the attack because he still had problems afterwards.

Ronnie Biggs ran away to sunny climes to avoid prison then. Now he's back I see no reason why he shouldn't serve his sentence; the ability to run away shouldn't confer the right to get away with crime.

RH

Ronnie Biggs ran away to sunny climes to avoid prison then. Now he's back I see no reason why he shouldn't serve his sentence; the ability to run away shouldn't confer the right to get away with crime.

RH

I suspect he only came back because he was sick and had run out of money. Thank goodness for the NHS eh?
I think he should be let out because its probably cheaper to have him on a pension and looking after himself than it is to keep him locked up.

Crikey, Ronnie Biggs is still alive, I thought he died a while ago!!
Need to to get the bugger out, they have wasted enough tax payers money chasing this guy over the years!:crazy:

Hi,

Biggs should have served his sentence (like the others) and now he would be 'free'.....but as he escaped he spent some very good years (i.e. healthy) as a 'free' man...and cocking a snoot at the UK.

Now he's old and infirm he wants us to pay for him to spend his last days in a nursing home (as I believe his son cannot afford to support him privately) but if it's cheaper to look after him in prison....that's fine by me.

Cheers,

Saw an old interview with him smirking at the camera from Brazil saying ' They can't extradite a father of a Brazilian baby back to England ' with a sneer on his face. Let him serve his time.

The train driver died of something unrelated as someone said earlier , but because he never returned to work , they blame it on that ...

It's not as if he was shot in the face at the scene , he just got a cosh.

YES

its just BS that he is in still.No it's because he hasn't served his sentence and absconded.

if that was a normal crime then he would have been out years ago as the sentance would have been alot smaller but as it was a crime v the state/queen ect. they came down very heavy on them What is your definition of a normal crime?

my mate was arrested for the train robbery tooNice friends...

if it happend today he would get a weeks community service as crime these days seems no longer to be seen as a problem by them upstairsYawn

killing 6 people as he was asleep in his lorry and gets 3 yeras and they did not even bother to try him for the higher offenceWhere did you hear he was asleep? What is the higher offense?

like the brazilian case the judge told them they were not allowed to even consider finding them guilty, utter BSBecause perhaps they weren't??

You seem to have a very interesting slant on the law............

Whether the rain driver got a cosh over the head or not, Biggs should do his sentance. the man is a disgrace.
He should stay inside untill he dies.

A quick question. If the government let him out on compassionate grounds for hospital treatment etc etc, and he got better would he go back inside to serve his time.

There's an old saying .......

" If you can't do the time , Don't do the crime "

The driver who was coshed could easily have died as a result : it was lucky he didn't but it does not make the malicious intent any the less therefore the gang are no better than murderers in my book ( and only slightly better than rapists and child molesters , all of whom deserve to be used for medical experimentation before having the death sentence carried out ) .

Let him rot .

its just BS that he is in still. No it's because he hasn't served his sentence and absconded.

true, he has almost served 10 years and is dying, might aswell let him go

if that was a normal crime then he would have been out years ago as the sentance would have been alot smaller but as it was a crime v the state/queen ect. they came down very heavy on them What is your definition of a normal crime?

a crime that was not against the government gets a lesser sentance than other similar crimes, would they have got 30 years for bank robber back then ?

my mate was arrested for the train robbery too Nice friends...

actually he was in germany selling cars for a living and was arrested for it as they thought that some of them had run away to germany and he was from london, he was let go the next day, so yes a very nice friend who is now 81

if it happend today he would get a weeks community service as crime these days seems no longer to be seen as a problem by them upstairs Yawn

well you being plod dont exactly have an unbiasd view on stuff

killing 6 people as he was asleep in his lorry and gets 3 yeras and they did not even bother to try him for the higher offence Where did you hear he was asleep? What is the higher offense?

drunk, alseep, high on drugs or more likely on the phone which he had been done for before, either way he got bugger all time for mass murder, he was found guilty of "causing death by careless driving" rather than the higher offense of "causing death by dangerous driving" so only got 18 months, the law as usuall lets the public down even though the judge said that the offence was “one of the most serious of its kind”.

He told the court that the maximum sentence for causing death by careless driving was five years. The maximum for causing death by dangerous driving is 14 years. Da Silva has already spent four months on remand, and will serve another 14 months of the sentence.

He should have got the full 14 years the family murdering scum bag

like the brazilian case the judge told them they were not allowed to even consider finding them guilty, utter BS Because perhaps they weren't??

yes they were not guilty at all and as far as they knew they were going after a man about to blow himself up BUT thats upto the jury to decide and being told they are not allowed to find them guilty is a slap in the face of justice wether they were guilty or not

Last edited:
Good heavens, let him go NOW. It’s an embarrassment and damming indictment of our legal system, that an infirm 80-year-old man is still banged up for a heist committed 46 years ago. Biggs, whilst a gang member, never took a direct role in the actual stopping/boarding of the train. He was only on the job because he knew a retired train driver that could move the train if required, his role was minding him and help loading mailbags into the waiting vehicles. Whilst he was eventually allowed to stay in Brazil on a technicality, he wasn’t allowed to work, so had to make a living giving interviews with sometimes salacious remarks for the benefit of the worlds press. Even ‘Slipper of the Yard’, a yard detective that had pursued him relentlessly for many years, in an interview given 10 or so years ago, said perhaps it was time to ‘let it go’. We see such leniency being dished out to far worst individuals and some truly shameful and disgusting sentencing for some of the most abhorrent crimes, an example being a man local to us, whom had attacked his partner kicking her repeatedly in the Head resulting in severe brain damage, the women can now no longer talk, walk, care for herself or her baby daughter, he served 3 years and is now free!! Ronald Biggs after having served a total of 10 years in incarceration has now well and truly earnt his Freedom, his release is long overdue, it’s only a pity that we could not of afforded him some compassion.
frown.gif

It's serves no purpose to keep a dying man in prison, especially one that is as feeble as Biggs now is. Let him out to die with dignity and there will be room for another who poses more of a threat to the public.

FYI...........
The train driver was coshed over the head with an iron bar by a person unknown.
This led to multiple complications. He died in 1970 from Luekemia which doctors say was probably caused by the attack, although this has never been proved beyond all doubt.
If Biggs had not escaped in 1965, he would have been made a free man in 1994. The original sentence laid down in 1964 was for 30 years (I think). He escaped in 1965 after only serving about 15 months.
As a total by the by, he was a deserter from the RAF and was dishonourably discharged.

Slightly OT
ln late 1975 I was sent to HMP Winson Green for a short time (it's a long story)
One of the gentlemen who was in the police cells in Coventry was a chatty guy, who told us that he was well known in 'the Green', 'all the screws know me' and that he had 'got over the wall'. Of course I thought this was all a story.
Anyway, as we were being admitted, one of the prison officers looked at him and said to him "I know you - it's Wilson, isn't it?", while a little later, totally seperately, one of the inmates told me "That guy you came in with was Charlie Wilson - he got over the wall some time back"
The train robbery was never mentioned, but I have always wondered.......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/12/newsid_2996000/2996402.stm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom