Should tyres be on the options list?

Should tyre type be on the options list

• The manufacturers choice is best

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Customers should have unlimited choice of tyre fitted at the factory

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • A limited but varied series of tyre options should be offered perhaps at extra cost

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Following on from the winter tyres thread elsewhere I thought it might be useful to have a poll about this. It occurred to me some time ago that Mercedes offer a huge number of options on their cars which you can use to customise your own particular vehicle from the factory. However a singular omission from this is the ability to choose the type of tyre the car is supplied with. Needless to say it would have to be the correct size /load and speed rating for the vehicle but how about a choice of manufacturer, tread compound/pattern, summer/ winter/allweather type? Obviously again this would have to be in reason but how about a choice of 2 or 3 manufacturers and/or summer/winter/ allweather types? ARE YOU MARKETING BOYS LISTENING??;)

I believe in some EU countries it's a legal requirement to have winter tyres on during a certain time of the year so it would be interesting to know what MB do in those countries especially for new cars delivered in December. If they just supply the car with summers on surely the new car wouldn't be road legal.

As far as I know, you can ask for your choice of (quality) tyres.

Not fussed. Another added complication and something else to get wrong!

A choice of manufacturer will be very difficult indeed... what next, customers deciding whether the brakes will be made by ATE or by Lucas? The the seatbelts by Delphi? etc etc. You could equally argue that in spite of meeting the same basic specs one manufacturer is better or more reliable than the other.

But if the parts meets MB's specifications then it should be good enough for a buyer... it would be impossible to run mass-production business where customer can choose your suppliers. Bespoke car making is something else...

When you buy a new HP or Del computer, you get whatever hard disk drive HP or Dell chose to work with at the time... Seagate, Toshiba, etc. And the same goes for memory and so on.

Where there's a difference in spec, e.g. HK sound system, or Becker SatNav instead of standard Audio, it is a different story.

Interesting--- is that a FRENCH dealer option? Is it stated somewhere in the French MB brochure?

No, all you have to do is ask. ;)

They offer a choice of wheels --- 6 on the C class for example [ all probably made by different suppliers] what's so different about a limited choice of tyres also I see no difference. They are a "bolt on" job unlike more "integrated" brake system components etc.

Well all I know for example is they will on the vans so why not the cars. Ups the parcel company spec sprinters for example have winter tyres fitted as standard.

I do recall someone saying they can do this if you ask .

They offer a choice of wheels --- 6 on the C class for example [ all probably made by different suppliers] what's so different about a limited choice of tyres also I see no difference. They are a "bolt on" job unlike more "integrated" brake system components etc.

Wouldn't this necessarily complicate the type approval process, in terms of obtaining official fuel efficiency and emissions figures? MB already quote different figures for emissions based on the size of wheel/tyre fitted. I f they had to do so for each different manufacturer as well, I could see things getting very complicated.

I think it works differently in different countries.

Im fairly certain that you could ask for winter tyres but the standard choice is summer tyres.

I dont think MB will offer a variety of tyres anytime soon... They will work with whomever it is financially beneficial.

A simple choice of summer, winter or all season would be fine. Not aware that MB fit budget tyres so happy to leave the choice of manufacturer to them.

Wouldn't this necessarily complicate the type approval process, in terms of obtaining official fuel efficiency and emissions figures? MB already quote different figures for emissions based on the size of wheel/tyre fitted. I f they had to do so for each different manufacturer as well, I could see things getting very complicated.

With the new EU labelling regs on tyre's fuel consumption/rolling resistance I see no problem in type approval provided the different makes of tyres fitted all possess the same rating of the original type approval exercise. Are you not simply looking for complications where none exist? :confused: BBC News - New European tyre labelling could save money and lives
Remember I am suggesting a limited level of extra choice not Carte Blanche to fit anything you like.:eek:

I find it interesting that some folks think you can specify the choice of tyre fitted-----I guess that's possible :dk: but I'd like to see it in writing ;)somewhere.

There's not a type approval for each make/size of tyre, but each car model has a range of possible tyre fittings.

Provided you comply with these, you can fit whatever make of tyres you want, and still meet the approval.

With the new EU labelling regs on tyre's fuel consumption/rolling resistance I see no problem in type approval provided the different makes of tyres fitted all possess the same rating of the original type approval exercise. Are you not simply looking for complications where none exist? :confused: BBC News - New European tyre labelling could save money and lives
Remember I am suggesting a limited level of extra choice not Carte Blanche to fit anything you like.:eek:

I find it interesting that some folks think you can specify the choice of tyre fitted-----I guess that's possible :dk: but I'd like to see it in writing ;)somewhere.

You don't need it in writing :)
Next time you buy a new Mercedes, just ask to have your choice of tyres. Simples.

A choice of manufacturer will be very difficult indeed... what next, customers deciding whether the brakes will be made by ATE or by Lucas? The the seatbelts by Delphi? etc etc. You could equally argue that in spite of meeting the same basic specs one manufacturer is better or more reliable than the other.

But if the parts meets MB's specifications then it should be good enough for a buyer... it would be impossible to run mass-production business where customer can choose your suppliers. Bespoke car making is something else...

When you buy a new HP or Del computer, you get whatever hard disk drive HP or Dell chose to work with at the time... Seagate, Toshiba, etc. And the same goes for memory and so on.

Where there's a difference in spec, e.g. HK sound system, or Becker SatNav instead of standard Audio, it is a different story.

Yes I'd like my new car to be filled with Shell Petrol please, and the tyres pumped up with air from Nepal :D

Yes, but carte blanche is one of the options in your survey.

I thought that manufacturers had to supply cars fitted with the same type of tyres that had been used to obtain the official figures, as those from other manufacturers could not be guaranteed to produce the same results under the same conditions. Seems things are more flexible than I imagined.

The trouble is probably 90% of people wouldn't have a clue what tyres are any good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom