Should tyres be on the options list?

Should tyre type be on the options list

• The manufacturers choice is best

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Customers should have unlimited choice of tyre fitted at the factory

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • A limited but varied series of tyre options should be offered perhaps at extra cost

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't need it in writing :)
Next time you buy a new Mercedes, just ask to have your choice of tyres. Simples.

Anybody done that in the UK? :dk: And I'm not talking about the dealer taking off the tyres the car came with from the factory and putting on a new set from ATS down the road and charging you for a new set over and above the list price of the car. ;)

Next time you buy a new Mercedes, just ask to have your choice of tyres. In reality = COMPUTER SAYS NO!! Not so Simples? :mad: If it is a valid factory fit choice why is it not mentioned in the glossy brochure or options in the price list?
Choice only exists if people are made aware of it surely? And that includes the people selling the cars as well as the customers!

Last edited:
I'd like to see a spare set of steel narrow wheels with winter tyres on the options list, but when new they come with conti 3's or something equivilent.

If snow becomes more regular in this country that might be an option but as long as we only get a light sprinkling it won't.

That’s an interesting question though; I was never offered or even given a choice when I ordered my new Audi A8L W12, which actually arrives at the dealers on December 20th. I opted for the 20”x 9” PRK alloy wheels with 265/40/R20 Y tyres and there’s no mention anywhere on my invoice or in the brochure as to what manufacturers tyres are being fitted, other than the above sizes. Maybe I should have enquired at the time when placing the order, but would the dealers have known this, probably not. I just ticked the options box, which just describes the alloy wheel; it’s a bit late in the day for that now though. Never mind, as long as they are black, made of rubber, round and new, what the hell. Somehow, I have complete confidence in Audi to fit the right ones; personally, I can’t see them somehow fitting anything other than premium brand tyres, similarly with Mercedes Benz.

Regards,

Dash1

I think you are right Dash. They are not going to fit any budget skidmaster tyres!

In the past Mercedes have come fitted with a bewildering array of Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Kumho, Dunlop, Goodyear, Yokohama tyres among others-- I suspect its what they can get their hands on /for the production line demands / at the right price / at any one point in time [ assuming they meet minimum spec of course] Tis rumoured many manufacturers' press review cars often come with tyres that show a new model in the best light but come mass production time for the "punters " the "boots" may be on a different foot ---------??:dk:
The background to this post came from another thread where I proposed that high silica content tyre compounds found in allseason tyres offered the best tyre rubber mix for all year UK motoring. However mindful that there are some MB owners might feel short changed by having to buy a car with tyres which might put seconds on their NURBURGRING lap times every weekend ;) suggested a tyre choice from the factory might be a good option and by increasing choice incidentally might help sell a few more Mercs in the process?:thumb:

Given that I've never bought a brand new car (and I probably never will), it's not really something I'd given much thought to.

I have, however, bought cars second-hand with OE tyres on and they don't always work that well - Subaru and Bridgestone being a glaring example. My first Impreza used to tramline horribly until I ripped off the Bridgestones and put on a set of Goodyear GSD3's as recommended by the owner's forums.. transformed the car's handling completely.

Question is, how many people do the research before buying a car? So long as it has new boots on, that'll tick most people's boxes..

Cheers,

Gaz

We had a choice of winter or summer tyres when specifying the Cayenne.

Yes I'd like my new car to be filled with Shell Petrol please, and the tyres pumped up with air from Nepal :D

Nah, air from Nepal is too thin.

I requested that my E-Class didn't arrive with Conti's on and came with Dunlop or Michelin instead, it came with Conti's. Reason given - it is what was available that day in the factory when the tyres were put on my alloys.

IIRC on Ferraris you can choose the tyres your new-build comes with.

Anybody done that in the UK? :dk: And I'm not talking about the dealer taking off the tyres the car came with from the factory and putting on a new set from ATS down the road and charging you for a new set over and above the list price of the car. ;)

Next time you buy a new Mercedes, just ask to have your choice of tyres. In reality = COMPUTER SAYS NO!! Not so Simples? :mad: If it is a valid factory fit choice why is it not mentioned in the glossy brochure or options in the price list?
Choice only exists if people are made aware of it surely? And that includes the people selling the cars as well as the customers!

I've been buying Mercedes for 40-ish years, and have always attatched my list of "special conditions" to the order. Never had a problem yet. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom