Shower Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm getting a shower pump fitted (negative head, twin pump) and after looking around seem to have these brands shortlisted:

Grundfos Amazon 4.0 (brass)
Techflow QT120TNH Negative Head Twin Pump 3.3 Bar (just over minimum)
Stuart Turner Monsoon Shower Pump 4.5 bar
Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 4.1 Bar
Salamander Force 3.0 Bar Brass Twin End (may be a little too weak)

Any advice as to brand or model? Trying to keep it under £500... and have been told I need a minimum of 3bar...

M.

I'm getting a shower pump fitted (negative head, twin pump) and after looking around seem to have these brands shortlisted:

Grundfos Amazon 4.0 (brass)
Techflow QT120TNH Negative Head Twin Pump 3.3 Bar (just over minimum)
Stuart Turner Monsoon Shower Pump 4.5 bar
Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 4.1 Bar
Salamander Force 3.0 Bar Brass Twin End (may be a little too weak)

Any advice as to brand or model? Trying to keep it under £500... and have been told I need a minimum of 3bar...

M.
I think you'll find Grundfos and Stuart Turner actually manufacture the pumps they sell, don't know anything about Techflow but think Salamander probably label someone elses.
Back in the 90s and 00s Stuart Turner were the manufacturer of Miras Showers pumps which is a sign that they are(or at least were)good quality.

I'm leaning towards the grunfos at the moment- though one of the more expensive ones in the selection it's a brand I know...

Gonna need to order tonight, plumber comes next week!

I had a 2.5 bar salamander at my old place. Was very very powerful tbh! ran quite loud though!

are you getting a plumber to install just the pump? or you got other work for him? It is very very easy to say the least and certainly dont need to pay pro rates!

Had a new pump a few months ago. Will check what it is when get home later. Seems to work very well and not as noisy as some.

I'm leaning towards the grunfos at the moment- though one of the more expensive ones in the selection it's a brand I know...

Gonna need to order tonight, plumber comes next week!

Which ever you choose should be ok for reliability, the issue with most pumps failing ie central heating pumps is lack of use during the summer, with a shower pump that never occurs.

Getting a pro to install it - there's a few lines of pipework that need installing at the same time. The upstairs bathroom is on mains at the moment, so I wan't that to be put on the pump as well.

Had trouble finding my mains tap last time (never found it!) so I'm willing to pay a pro for it if he can find the tap :p

M.

lol fair enough. he will prob use plastic knuckle joints that anyone can install easy! I've been doing up houses last 2 years and have now done 7 bathrooms up from scratch I have to say the pros make it look a lot harder than it is tbh! plastering, bricklaying and carpentry are the real skills for pros. plumbing and electrics anyone with a brain can do.

*awaits incoming from plumbers and electricians* :dk:

As a C&G electrician, I do agree the electrics aren't too tough... that said, I have met some right eejits in my life who I wouldn't trust near a fork, let alone wiring their house...

We're going with copper joints, brazed... at least, that's what I'm paying for... who knows what I'll actually get fitted :p

Ours is a salamander rated at 3.0 bar. Copes easily with 3 showers simultaneously.

I fitted a new grunfos amazon at home when my old pump packed up about 18 months ago,it's been trouble free & gives good performance.

It is illegal to do your own electrics in a bathroom wet area or the like, you need to use an approved spark .

Ours is a salamander rated at 3.0 bar. Copes easily with 3 showers simultaneously.
Are all the showers on the same floor? My issue is that one shower and one tap is upstairs (about 3-4 meters ABOVE the hot water heater). These are currently on mains water with an electric in line heater...

M.

I have a Stuart Turner pump and that's been 100% reliable for the last 8 or 9 years (that's the kiss of death for that, then :rolleyes: ). A couple of bits of advice that I was given regarding shower pumps:
  1. Don't over-specify, use a pump that provides just enough pressure and flow
  2. If you over-specify you will end up having to uprate feed pipes and valves on water tanks just to keep up with the flow rate
  3. Likewise, you can easily pump more water than the drain in the shower tray can cope with.

We're going with copper joints, brazed... at least, that's what I'm paying for... who knows what I'll actually get fitted :p

Well, they won't be brazed joints for sure...hopefully they will be soldered though.

1. Don't over-specify, use a pump that provides just enough pressure and flow
  2. If you over-specify you will end up having to uprate feed pipes and valves on water tanks just to keep up with the flow rate
  3. Likewise, you can easily pump more water than the drain in the shower tray can cope with.

And you will need a larger header tank.

I'm not a fan of shower pumps, the showers then chuck too much water about.

The problem is that most gravity showers are poor quality and require 2m of head. Buy a shower designed for 1m of head, supply it with 2m of head, 22mm feed pipes and a decent shower head and it will deliver more than sufficient water volume.

Amazing that a 240V pump can cost £500. It'll have a 1-year warranty as well

Nick Froome

What is your reason for the pump... Have you low hot water pressure or general low hot and cold. Or is it just to run power shower 1/2 etc.

We have a stuart turner 4.0 bar that runs just the hot water for three shower/bath and two rooms downstairs and is just right, but make sure you can insulate as noise can and has been an issue for us.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom