Shower woes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HP = High Pressure (i.e it runs off the mainscold and a combi feed for the hot).

LP - Low pressure, a traditional hot water system with a vented tank in the loft.

A high pressure system has a built in thermostatic cartridge that balances and equalises the pressure imbalance between hot and cold feeds (sometimes up to 33-1).

The symptoms you describe are classic cartridge failure. However, when the new cartridge is installed it needs to be calibrated (i.e. adjusted until it works correctly) this is within the plumbers remit who fitted it, did He do this? Did he even test it?

HP = High Pressure (i.e it runs off the mainscold and a combi feed for the hot).

LP - Low pressure, a traditional hot water system with a vented tank in the loft.

A high pressure system has a built in thermostatic cartridge that balances and equalises the pressure imbalance between hot and cold feeds (sometimes up to 33-1).

The symptoms you describe are classic cartridge failure. However, when the new cartridge is installed it needs to be calibrated (i.e. adjusted until it works correctly) this is within the plumbers remit who fitted it, did He do this? Did he even test it?

The plumber just slotted out old one, and shoved new one in, then switched it on. You think it might need calibrated? Is it a hard job to calibrate?

Though, both supply's should be the same, as I have a systems boiler with a santon premier unvented system.

Can supply be adjusted?,

The supply pressure should be fairly similar from a mains pressurised cylinder. There is a pressure reducing valve to keep the cold inlet pressure below 3 Bar but if the taps are flowing well that isn't the problem.

It sounds like the isolator valve for the shower Hot connection is partially closed restricting the flow as with an open pipe such as you have in the pics the water should pour out similar to the cold flow.

From the cylinder there is probably a second draw off tapping for the shower. Check there are no isolating valves fitted there, then work your way along the pipes to the shower. There should be an isolator somewhere, check it's fully open.
The water pressure should be enough to blow the filter out of the inlet.

What is the pressure reading for the cylinder?

How did the plumber isolate the shower to fit the new cartridge? Has he left the valve closed?

The plumber just slotted out old one, and shoved new one in, then switched it on. You think it might need calibrated? Is it a hard job to calibrate?

Actually yes it's usually simple but should be done at installation by the fitter.

It's simply a case of testing the until and making sure the end stops are in the correct place on the cartridge. I'd give the chap a call and ask him.

The supply pressure should be fairly similar from a mains pressurised cylinder. There is a pressure reducing valve to keep the cold inlet pressure below 3 Bar but if the taps are flowing well that isn't the problem.

It sounds like the isolator valve for the shower Hot connection is partially closed restricting the flow as with an open pipe such as you have in the pics the water should pour out similar to the cold flow.

From the cylinder there is probably a second draw off tapping for the shower. Check there are no isolating valves fitted there, then work your way along the pipes to the shower. There should be an isolator somewhere, check it's fully open.
The water pressure should be enough to blow the filter out of the inlet.

What is the pressure reading for the cylinder?

How did the plumber isolate the shower to fit the new cartridge? Has he left the valve closed?

Right, I'd missed the post where it described the hot water system.

As suggested you should have no imbalance. Follow the hot feed pipe back as far as you can and check all valves attached to the same.

It is still possible the cartridge needs calibrating but there's absolutely no point trying this until you've discovered why you have no pressure at the hot side of the valve.

If the taps and other hot supplies in the house are working fine than this is a loclaised problem, just be systematic in checking the hot feed to the shower valve for any possibility of blockage/restriction.

Thing is that, no shower valves or anything of the sort have been adjusted/changed/touched, so dont see how that would be the problem. Had a look around the unvented tank, but couldnt see anything of the sort anyway.

I have ordered the check valve tool, the flush catridge and a flow restrictor. Pipe might be cleaned out this way?

Any ideas?

Probably the best bet actually.

Your taps work fine which tells me your hot water delivery is OK, so the problem is somewhere between the hot water supply and the valve or the valve itself.

New valve so it could be any service valve, PRV, PEV or any other type of valve that's fitted in the pipeline.

Sometimes these problems can only be solved by systematic replacement.

simply replaced the filter now my hot water is hotter than the sun! Plus, the pressure has greatly increased aswell!.

Thanks for everyones help!

Glad you got it sorted

simply replaced the filter now my hot water is hotter than the sun! Plus, the pressure has greatly increased aswell!.

Thanks for everyones help!
might smell a bit better now(lol):D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom