shreak from engine on startup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badshot1uk

Car
1991 300 TE 24V Sportline, 2001 Chipped Picasso 2.0 HDI
Hi All,

Its been a while, happy new year to you all!

I think I may have a loose fanbelt as I had it replaced a while ago and before long it started to make a real squeal on startup, its be going on a while now and is driving the wife nuts, (i think she doesnt like the unwanted attention it brings when she drops the kids at school! lol )

Anyway does this sort of thing sound like the belt, it also squeals under full lock right or left?

If so how can I tighten it?, cheers, all the best for 2007

Paul

It could possibly be your steering fluid needs topping up and bleeding as well.

Ian B Walker said:
It could possibly be your steering fluid needs topping up and bleeding as well.

Hi Ian,

I did check the fluid, it was also changed the same time as the belt, Shame your a while away as id love you to have a look at her, as theres a few nigling bits and bobs:crazy:

Anyway all the best

Paul

Paul, did you bleed the steering pump?

Sit in car with engine ticking over, turn steering wheel lock to lock about four times slowly.

To check if it is the fan belt, sprinkle some talcum powder on the belt, if it still squeals then its not the belt.

Contitech sizes

If you look on the multi-rib belt you should see a figure for the overall length-
sizes I have from the contitech site http://www.contitech.de/ct/contitech/themen/produkte/antriebsriemen/kfz_ersatz/docs/liste_pkw.pdf
are
6PK2355 without AC
AND
6PK2445 with AC ---Extra pulley with aircon needs a longer belt.
If its longer than this it will slip cos the tensioner wont work properly.
they are about £12 from ECP.

Hi Chaps,

I just took her for a quick spin round the block,

I did try the talcum powder thing but what little i could get on the the inside of the belt it actually made it worse, well the squeal went on a lot longer at least until i got to the end of the road.
I noticed that the power steering also juddered as if it wasnt being assisted for the first couple of minutes intermitantly?

when i eventually got stopped by some lights it did quieten down and seemed to go back to normal, as it allways does when on the move.

Its was only when I got back and did the lock to lock thing that it let out that painful sound again?

the belt does feel like theres about an inch of movement in it, if it is loose how can i tighten it?

Ian,

I asume the chap who serviced it before did bleed it as he said he did a complete fluid change on the vehicle when he serviced it a few months ago.

Also Im not sure if this is related but the other day the coolent light came on and when i checked it was down to the bottom.

I have since renewed it but it still seemed a little low today after only a 50 odd mile motorway journey last thursday, (the car has stood standing since)

Any ideas much appreciated,

Paul

No doubt it is a problem with the multi-rib belt slipping.
Could it be the wrong replacement belt was used ?
Joe

length of present belt?

Joe Bagnara said:
No doubt it is a problem with the multi-rib belt slipping.
Could it be the wrong replacement belt was used ?
Joe

What are the marks on the present belt on your engine??? If the belt is relatively new they should be easy to read. You might have to turn the engine over a bit to see them. Should have a mark like 6k2055ek407 or 6PK2445 where the letters in bold are the length in mm of the belt. see my previous post.

grober said:
What are the marks on the present belt on your engine??? If the belt is relatively new they should be easy to read. You might have to turn the engine over a bit to see them. Should have a mark like 6k2055ek407 or 6PK2445 where the letters in bold are the length in mm of the belt. see my previous post.

i did try to turn it but theres only a couple of places that you can see it clearly,
ill give it another go again later

thanks again.

Paul

badshot1uk said:
Also Im not sure if this is related but the other day the coolent light came on and when i checked it was down to the bottom.

I have since renewed it but it still seemed a little low today after only a 50 odd mile motorway journey last thursday, (the car has stood standing since)
I wonder if the water pump is leaking and the bearings are screeching when under load.

Dieselman said:
I wonder if the water pump is leaking and the bearings are screeching when under load.
Very valid comment, I had not thought of that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom