Shuddering at 70+ MPH - STAR says TC slipping ? - 2001 E230 CDI S210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My shuddering was cured with new front wheel bearings.

Drives like new now.

Right one was loose ( the tapered bearing lock nut was loose). Swapped out just in case.

Runs fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I should add they check the wheel bearing play today and said its good. they spent a long time checking out the car. was on the lift and over the pit for a good few hours

Been a long time but finally I have had the lock up tested. I ended up getting my own star set up.

Long story short - if I lock the TC the shudder disappears.

No shudder in 1,2,3 or 4 only 5 and starts around at 2k on almost no throttle from around 68 mph up to around 100. Once I give any throttle the shudder disappears or throttle position is anything but minimal it doesn't happen. I've done around 25 k miles and its goes not worse.

Fluids & filter has been changed

I spoke to Mercedes in Budapest who said I should do full re-adaptation of all gears then test again.

I will check at the weekend if fluid has wicked up to the ECU

Am i wasting my time here and should just get a new TC ?

One point to note - when I look into the VIN in TCU its set to 00000000000000 but the screen shows there should be a VIN. Should I code the VIN into the TCU and why is this set to zero value ?

Thanks again

DT

I found this post from Google. Maybe I need to go for a good run to see if new fluid clears the issue but does look like I need a new TC.

How different is changing the TC to a clutch, are there instructions available and doable by an experienced home mechanic. I know I need to get the box out but then what ...... I could probably rent any special tools from a contact.

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/...ging-70-80-mph-feels-it-torque-converter.html

I re read the rules and didn't see any rules on external links to other forums. If by posting this link I'm breaking a rule let me know and ill remove the link

This might be of use to other doing TC fault finding

Its a PDF download with diagnostic flow charts

http://www.benzclub.ru/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89566&d=1265185728

This suggests I should do some more adaptations and go for a run then see. I guess my time is free so it cant hurt.

Update:

Well, I did another flush today. This time I did it all myself rather than using an indie here in Budapest. Followed the guides on most forums, drain sump, change filter, sum back on, add 3ltrs or so and drain TC using return line from bell housing.I bought 20 lrts of fluid so I could double flush if needed. I did the flush once, went for a drive then did it all again, new filter etc.... but this time I kept going with the TC drain until fluid was red. This took 5 ltrs the second time - i kept pouring slowly until new fluid appeared.

Sump wasn't too bad but the fluid was green but id say it wasn't smelling much different to the new stuff but I am a heavy smoker so I might be way wrong !

What was interesting/worrying is the sump has some powder coating missing - about 3mm by 1mm i the lower corner. Ill up a pick once I get my phone hooked up to the PC. I also has some small shard of metal which is like a 2 mm long piece of very fine wire. like a metal pesky nose hair That was on the magnet. Magnet was covered in minute layer of very fine grey dust whats looked like paste but when I touched it was like wet iron filings - not exactly the same but that's the closed I can think to describe.

I reset trans adaptations with star and went for a run. Nice clear straight flat motorway.

No more shudder ! I cant quite believe it but its no longer there. Question on my mind is for how long.

now I can feel very slight movement at around 75 ish which I probably used to put down to the trans issue. Feels like balancing. My tracking is a touch out so Ill get it all sorted when I have that done. I need to find someone in BP who has a good hunter system to get the full geometry done but might be a MB stealer job.

IF this lasts I'll be well chuffed.

Thanks to all for your help

oh yes indeedy ;) and tomorrow is that special Monday for sure - its late this year but very welcome :)

Pics

datripsta-albums-722-6-trans-fliud-change-picture8199-dirty-magnet-can-just-about-make-out-long-thin-wire-swarf-i-found-just-one-piece-about-2-3-mm-long.jpg

datripsta-albums-722-6-trans-fliud-change-picture8199-dirty-magnet-can-just-about-make-out-long-thin-wire-swarf-i-found-just-one-piece-about-2-3-mm-long.jpg

datripsta-albums-722-6-trans-fliud-change-picture8198-pain-chip-found-pan.jpg

datripsta-albums-722-6-trans-fliud-change-picture8197-dirty-pan.jpg

to end this off - I don't think star was saying the TC is slipping - I don't think the first guys and second guy rest codes and cleared adaptations as it all errors were still the same when I got my own MUX and Xentry. The trans fault was selector and not a current fault. Not usre many will have the same issues with being told something is done and then it not be done but worth asking not see faults are cleared etc... they were trying to get me to buy a used box for 700,000 Forints ( about £2k ! )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom