Shuddering when braking - Clk 430

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave CLK 430

Car
Mercedes CLK 430
Was out and about yesterday in the clk, the car started to shudder when i started to brake.. its quite a harsh shudder, the harder you brake the worse it gets and at high speeds when your braking is even worse!! Any ideas?? i know i need new discs and pads but surely this isnt the cause??

:mad:

Yes, worn/warped disks can cause this problem, get it done sooner, rather than later ;)

Me thinks you have answered your own question.

Warped discs the most likely cause although it could be suspension related.

ATE are good OEM substitute for genuine MB parts.

Have a quick check at ball joints,track rod ends. The plentiful potholes are harsh on suspension/steering joints.

cheers guys.. thought it might of been but just i'd ask for some advice first. Best get the wallet out and spend some pennies :)

cheers guys.. thought it might of been but just i'd ask for some advice first. Best get the wallet out and spend some pennies :)

Seriously try ECP (European car Parts) for your Discs / Pads..

I have just replaced all Discs and pads with Textar discs and Textar "E" Pads (Low dust)..
I am totally delighted with them.
Thery have been on 30,000 miles and the Discs havent gone at all rusty...

Excellent quality parts at none stupid prices..

Put your REG number in below then search...

Euro Car Parts | The UK's Number 1 Provider of Car Parts Online and In Store

Could be the discs but I would also check the suspension/wheel bearings etc too. Despite having FMBSH and low mileage when I bought it, my CLK55 had excessive endfloat on the front wheel bearings which was giving slight vibration when braking at speed. Adjusted it out and it's been fine for over three years now. The discs were new.

Was out and about yesterday in the clk, the car started to shudder when i started to brake.. its quite a harsh shudder, the harder you brake the worse it gets and at high speeds when your braking is even worse!! Any ideas?? i know i need new discs and pads but surely this isnt the cause??

:mad:

Fraid so new discs and pads trust me :(

Get your suspension checked over before you spend anything. It could be suspension related and still affect you after the new pads and discs are fitted.

Been there - done that.

If you know you need pads and discs get them fitted and then see if you've got other problems. As already said, discs the most likely culprit for pedal vibration.

A siezed pad in the carrier will also cause this

OP never mentioned pedal vibration.
True, but if I had a car which I knew needed discs and pads and also had a harsh shudder on braking I think I'd do those first before looking for other things to spend my money on.

Interesting thread. Had the exact same on my clk but only happening at speed. Replaced discs/pads with genuine items - fault still there. Recently found out i'd been lazy and not removed the labels from the discs. cleaned them up now and the situations improved but not completely erradicated. Suspension / bearings next then i guess judging from the replies here.

True, but if I had a car which I knew needed discs and pads and also had a harsh shudder on braking I think I'd do those first before looking for other things to spend my money on.

You'd experience a grinding noise from the pads far sooner than being able to warp a disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom