Sickening paint peeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLee

Car
to No.1 brand in reliability
Chaps, I'm not sure what happened here but this horrible paint peeling occurred out of nowhere ... I curse myself for not noticing it immediately and now can't really place when (seq of events that lead to) it occurred. Grr feel the car is not the same anymore. Without good paintwork, the 3-point-star experience is very watered down.

Rest of the paint is fine - you can see the peeling. Underneath is still grey paint, not raw panel yet. WHen I go for car washes I have to tell them specifically to avoid this area.

What are my options - can I seal it with touch up lactquer to prevent further issues? Pls advise.

Its probably the car washers that did it! But have you read their terms and conditions these days - literally everything is at the owners risk ...

Attachments

• 071211_180540_1.jpg
    071211_180540_1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 189
Hi KLee

I have had the same problem with mine and if you are very careful about rubbing the patch down I used very fine wet and dry and then lacquered it making sure you blend in to the area you have treated it will look ok.

As I said be very gentle with the wet and dry you don't want to take paint off as well.

Good luck
Norman

Thats not nice, it looks by the way the paint is lifting that the surface was contaminated before the clear top coat was applied, and held until something knocked it. You can see it is still lifting around the edges.

The hardest job will be blending it, and can only be done in a limited manner.

Your car is finished with 2K and that is much more transparent than the cellulose purchased in aerosol form, if you do try and and flat the surrounding area do it with 1200 wet paper, the action of the cellulose may cause the edges to lift. Only try at temperature's of around 20c so that it does not stay wet for to long

Thanks for the detailed info. Geez sounds too hard! Previously I have looked everywhere and failed to find 1000 grade paper someone advised to use on marble in the home, let alone 1200 paper. I currently only have the small lacquer bottle that came with touch up paint :( will look into the aerosol form. Sigh, why why why. I used to gloat about MB factory paint jobs, ... now ... I'm laughing stock.

Difficult to see what is happening from your piucture but it looks like the car might have some history. Has that area ever been repaired?

It looks like the paint was applied to an area that was not properly prepared and it has now given up the ghost. If you like the car and intend keeping it, I would very respectfully suggest you don't waste your money on an aerosol type repair. Get it properly sorted, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

I would be very, very surprised if this was down to Mercedes-Benz.

Good luck
Regards
John

Try and find a retailer that sells Mequiars professional parts, they do wet and Dry paper at 2000 grade and 3500 grade, and them top coat with laquer.
Do not try and mask of a small area as it will allways leave a line.

Thne picture is not very good but it looks like the paint is peeling? If this is the case then a light rub down with wet and dry is not going to cure this problem. Where the paint appears to be peeling can you get a finger nail under the paintwork and scrape it away? (Jusr with your finger nail) If so the paint has not bonded and it needs removing?

Can you possibly take a more detailed picture please? :)

John

Hi,
This as mentioned above may have had work before, taking it to car washes where they use a power washer dont help as that flicks the paint off even more...

if you have a look here they will tell you what the best way to treat it

www.detailingworld.com

i have had quotes for smart repairs for around £30-£50 it may be worth giving that a try.

Raj

I doubt that this is an MB related defect (otherwise the paint would be peeling on a lot more panels). I suspect, as mentioned by others that this area has had some work done in the past.
The bottom line is that the paint is not keyed to the surface caused by bad preparation or application and the only fix is to remove it and respray it properly. This could be local but is more likely to be the whole panel.
I would strongly advise against attempting to do this yourself. Without the correct equipment and material it will not look good and you are only delaying the inevitable, i.e. it will peel again until it is prepared properly.
Also, be aware that applying cellulose based products on top of acrylic can have disastrous effects as the two react with each other. This could result in 'pickling' which would subsequently require the panel to be stripped back to bare metal to put right.
Forget the 1200 (or any other paper) as the chances are the paint is not keyed correctly over a larger area and will only peel or flake anyway.
Sorry to be the bearer of this information

I agree with the above 100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom