Side skirt sealant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Lately, I have been spraying the green sideskirts I bought off Shude with halfords spray cans, and because im taking my time, they look nearly as good as if they were sprayed by a bodyshop!

Anyway, when I was sanding them down, I noticed each one had what appears to be signs of some type of sealant on the edge of the underside.

When I fit them, do you recommend I paint the strip (sealing it) to the underside of the car, making it water tight?

um - seam sealer? availible from ypour local Brown Brothers or similar decent trade type auto shop..

its the thick goo / rubber they use on seams (surprise surprise) on welded panels - the easiest example is in the spare wheel well - usually brushed on..

two arguments - yes and no -

yes - keeps mud out..

no - keeps any mud / water in and stops it draining..

would it be totally sealed on all sides? bit of a guess I'd say - and the goo was there as probably a bodge after clips got broken thinking about it..

It looks OEM if you get me, and is along the lowest part of the skirt, but with all the holes for the brakets, no doubt it would prevent water from escaping I guess

KillerHERTZ said:
It looks OEM if you get me, and is along the lowest part of the skirt, but with all the holes for the brakets, no doubt it would prevent water from escaping I guess

yeah i sprayed my skirts and bumpers (as per my how-tos) and i was (still am) pleased (and surprised) just how good they look.

the cans of spray paint needed soon mount up in the ££'s (cost me about £50 in total i think), but much cheaper than a paint shop.

only thing i worry about is using a pressure washer on them (may take off my paint and reveal the old silver paint underneath).

If you are intending on using a lot of spray-tins, why not consider buying a cheapish compressor and doing the job properly?

I know it's only £50, but you can buy cheap compressors that are usable, and which will give much, much better results than cans, for around £100. Even with a cheapish spray gun (eg Machine Mart ~ £20), you will be able to get reasonable results.

I know this is not more economical, but once you have a compressor, you will be surprised at how often you use it (pumping up tyres, blowing out dust/dirt, using air ratchets/guns if it is good enough!)

I used my one to refurbish a set of alloy wheels on one of my previous cars (Lexus LS400), and they genuinely came out virtually as good as any other refurbishment outfit!

This job alone must have saved me around £150-200. Paint cost about £20 or so. Not sure how long it took, just did a couple of hours each night for a few days.

Well worth considering IMHO! ;)

Cheers,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom