Sidelight Bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazzawm

Car
CLC200 2009
I have a 2009 CLC. I have noticed that the previous owner has changed one sidelight bulb so now one is more of a 'yellow' colour to the other. I want to change both so they are matching, what is the most brightest 'white' appearing bulb I could put in please? Thanks.IMG_0322.jpg

Ok thanks, I'll get those then. Easy to change?

Personally I would be a bit careful of that style of LED with our cars - that design has sharp edges that can (and do) catch when you pull the bulb holder, the bulb can then drop out inside the headlight unit and be difficult or impossible to retrieve. That's exactly what happened to me first time I fitted LED side/parking lights - I forgot to test before putting the holder back in, I'd got the LED wrong way up so had to pull the holder again, bulb caught and pulled out, for all I know it's still lurking in my headlight as I could not retrieve it.

Lesson 1 - if fitting LED's, switch the light on before putting the holder back into the light - Murphy's Law says you'll get at least 1 wrong way up!

I found these which have no sharp edges :
T10 501 W5W CAR SIDE LIGHT BULBS ERROR FREE CANBUS 6 & 10SMD LED XENON HID WHITE | eBay
Fitted them to both cars, for some reason in the MB they do not last well, looks like they overheat, so after a few changes I've reverted to normal bulbs.

Changing the bulbs you'll need a pair of long fine needle nose pliers to get hold of the outer bulb holders, an inspection mirror and a head torch also helps as visibility can be rather limited.

I used some needle pliers to put them in place, you just need to be careful. I havent had any issues with overheating.

I also fitted 80w H11 leds into my fogs, with inline resistors to prevent the bulb warnings. The resistors get hot but they are fixed in place in the cavity so that they don't touch any plastic.

I dont use my fogs as fogs, but I like the whiteness of the lights when I have the convenience lighting on when unlocking or stopping at night.

I have changed the lights as suggested Yugguy, but I noticed that there must be other bulbs in that cluster as there is now a yellow tinge in the corner? Whats recommend for these so they go with the ones I have put in?

There are 2 bulbs each side, called sidelights and parking lights, the outer ones are IIRC the parking lights. They come on with the sidelights, but on the light switch there are 2 positions for just left and right parking lights. The front ones are even more of a PITA to get at than the sidelights!

Yes, two bulbs for each sidelight, like you can see in my pics.

Sorry what lights have you changed? Have you changed the two in the brow above the headlight? Maybe your front end is different than a w204? I have two small wedge bulbs in the brow. In my first pic I've changed one to led and left one to show the difference. Second pic shows them both as led.

Below you can see a pic of when I changed the indicator bulb to an Osram diadem chrome, that looks chrome but flashes orange, so that the whole cluster looks clean with no orange.

Osram diadem chrome in the indicators so no yolk

Parking light and side light buklbs are identical 501 wedge bulbs, so just get another pair of what you bought for the sidelights. The outer ones (parking lights) are a PITA to get at, make sure you test before replacing the holder (turn your light switch anticlockwise to R or L parking light position)

Been there, Done that:

If a bulb gets stuck inside the lamp assembly, fetch the vacuum cleaner.
Tape a thin hose to it and then insert that hose into the bulb access hole and probe around.

It will attach to the bulb and it can be retrieved without taking half the car apart...

Been there, tried removing the headlight bulb and fishing with a magnet, bloody thing is still visible in the headlight, can't be bothered to try other fishing methods although I do have a flexible grab etc! Gave up on LED's for the MB and have reverted to ordinary bulbs!

Ultra LED Canbus Error Free 501 (T10) White Sidelight Bulbs

These are what I put in at your recommendation so i need matching onse to go where the red circle is.

Now I have successfully changed the sidelight and parking lights bulbs to these, now the headlights appear yellow. Could you recommend brighter bulbs to go with the others please. Thanks.

In blue is what I need to change now, whilst Im at it I may as well change the ones in orange?9876-1462527979-497e3b0b2724280672bec62dd83ddf3a.jpg

Attachments

• 9876-1462527979-497e3b0b2724280672bec62dd83ddf3a.jpg
    9876-1462527979-497e3b0b2724280672bec62dd83ddf3a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate or Lazer - I have Ultimates in dips (on full time) and Lazers in mains, not convinced the Lazers are worth the extra money compared to Ultimates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom