Sigh .. they walk amoung us .. and unfortunately drive too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
So just over 2 weeks ownership and some idiot has crashed into it. I just can't fathom the mentality of some of our fellow species.
This morning, after dropping the kids to school, my wife was driving down the road past the school entrance - a 2 way road that, for much of it, requires single file traffic to pass parked cars. With the path ahead clear, she went to pull around a parked car (so therefore offside wheels over the line) and jumped on the brakes as some fool pulled into her path and raced into the way.

I would stress that he was not taking avoiding action and had every opportunity to stop; or indeed reverse back out of the way, unlike my wife, who had another car right up behind her. Instead, he wound down his window, screaming at my wife and banging on the car and proceeded to drive down the side of the car on purpose, scraping it on his way and knocking the mirror in.

He then got out and started thumping on the window and yelling some more at my, by now, rather terrified wife. They somehow managed to swap details while he shouted at her continuously and aggressively for over 10 minutes about how he was going to screw her over because it was her fault because she was on the wrong side of the road and there was nothing she could do about it. He actually said he wasn't going to risk his alloys on the curb when she was there so, effectively admitted to driving into her on purpose.

Fortunately my wife got the details of a witness in the car behind - another mortified school mum. He also apparently got a witness, though I'm unsure as to what side they'll come down on.

We now have a contested insurance claim (he was in an N reg Omega ... not exactly much book value!) and a damaged car; not to mention a very shaken up wife.

I was so furious this morning I almost contemplated contacting the police to see if any of his behaviour constituted a criminal act, however I have my doubts and also reckon it would be troublesome to prove. Deliberate attempted insurance fraud springs to mind and a tangential issue to his behaviour.

Now I'm faced with sending off my once lovely new car to an unknown paint shop to trust as part of their approved network, or to use my own, but remain £600 out of pocket for the NCD until the claim is settled. Either way I still have to wait and see what the respective insurance solicitors will decide for my fate and face potential higher premiums even with a "successful" non-fault claim.

I guess some people are just born that way ...

Times like that one of those little video cameras seems like a good idea.

Hope your car isn't silver otherwise your probably going tonhave a car that's 2 different shades!!!

These are the sort of times that I wish I was driving, not the other half, so when he starts going off on one, I could just lay the **** out!

It would appear that on this occasion, that as your wife was already travelling forwards as such and he turned into the path of her, which hopefully the witness can back up, that your wife effectively had right of way. But, without knowing the actual area, this is kind of guessing.

Hope you get it sorted mate, after all the searching for this car too!! :(

Sorry to hear about this pal.

I hope your missus is all right and you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.

Hope, your Mrs is alright and not too shaken. Was he a big fekker? Give it 6 months and burn his car.

(just joking of course)

I would seriously consider contacting the police regarding his threatening behaviour. That's really not acceptable.
Good luck with the insurance, hope you get it sorted.

MarkP

^What MarkP said.

He was totally out of order.

They will do nothing, I saw one of my neighbours go ape at the bin men for not taking his bin (he couldn't be ar$ed to put it at the end of his drive like everyone else so they left it). He went totally mentally, blocking the dustcart with his car, he was in the can throttling the driver. The police came, took statements and 5minutes later they were shaking hands and it became a laughing matter.

They are useless shyates unless it is a serious crime.

S

Hello

I would also contact the police, if nothing else its extra beef to put in the claim.

People shouldn't be banging on other peoples cars and especially a lady on her own in a car outside a School !!.

Hope you get it all sorted

When I read things like this it really p***s me off! The aggression I see everyday amazes me. I'm sure things weren't this bad a few years back...
Interestingly, although the driving standard here in Russia is quite frankly appalling, there doesn't seem to be the viciousness to go with it when things invariably go wrong. Maybe something's in the food we eat in UK....

Hope your wife's OK and you get the car sorted to your satisfaction.

When I read things like this it really p***s me off! The aggression I see everyday amazes me. I'm sure things weren't this bad a few years back...
Interestingly, although the driving standard here in Russia is quite frankly appalling, there doesn't seem to be the viciousness to go with it when things invariably go wrong. Maybe something's in the food we eat in UK....

Hope your wife's OK and you get the car sorted to your satisfaction.

May be its because Russian police carry firearms and have real power.
We tend to forget the real power of our police has been taken away. They are now a service not a force.
Perhaps the memory of goolags (sorry if its spelt wrong) lingers in the memory of Russians - or they just have higher standards than some of us.

The police came, took statements and 5minutes later they were shaking hands and it became a laughing matter.

They are useless shyates unless it is a serious crime.

Such as phone hacking ?

1) He wound down his window, screaming at my wife and banging on the car and proceeded to drive down the side of the car on purpose, scraping it on his way and knocking the mirror in.

2) He then got out and started thumping on the window and yelling some more at my, by now, rather terrified wife.

1) Did you wife feel threatened and scared, answer :- Yes
This can be classed as aggravated assault, even though he didn't touch her, On female or child under 14 if they feel threatened its classed as aggravated.
2) Was he standing in the road, if he was, its jay walking.

I had exactly the same problem, I was accused of leaving the scene of an accident with a female in the car after the other driver lost the plot, I countered it with the above and it was him that got charged.

So report the aggravated assault (some police don't know that, he had to go and look it up!) and jay walking

Good Luck

Alan

Yup, being shouted at is assault...

I remember them saying it on Road Wars...

Definitely report to police. Your wife should have dialed 999 as she was being threatened. He could have been a complete nutter not a half nutter and who knows what could have happened.

One thing is very plain - he is a COWARD

So just over 2 weeks ownership and some idiot has crashed into it. I just can't fathom the mentality of some of our fellow species.
This morning, after dropping the kids to school, my wife was driving down the road past the school entrance - a 2 way road that, for much of it, requires single file traffic to pass parked cars. With the path ahead clear, she went to pull around a parked car (so therefore offside wheels over the line) and jumped on the brakes as some fool pulled into her path and raced into the way.

I would stress that he was not taking avoiding action and had every opportunity to stop; or indeed reverse back out of the way, unlike my wife, who had another car right up behind her. Instead, he wound down his window, screaming at my wife and banging on the car and proceeded to drive down the side of the car on purpose, scraping it on his way and knocking the mirror in.

He then got out and started thumping on the window and yelling some more at my, by now, rather terrified wife. They somehow managed to swap details while he shouted at her continuously and aggressively for over 10 minutes about how he was going to screw her over because it was her fault because she was on the wrong side of the road and there was nothing she could do about it. He actually said he wasn't going to risk his alloys on the curb when she was there so, effectively admitted to driving into her on purpose.

Fortunately my wife got the details of a witness in the car behind - another mortified school mum. He also apparently got a witness, though I'm unsure as to what side they'll come down on.

We now have a contested insurance claim (he was in an N reg Omega ... not exactly much book value!) and a damaged car; not to mention a very shaken up wife.

I was so furious this morning I almost contemplated contacting the police to see if any of his behaviour constituted a criminal act, however I have my doubts and also reckon it would be troublesome to prove. Deliberate attempted insurance fraud springs to mind and a tangential issue to his behaviour.

Now I'm faced with sending off my once lovely new car to an unknown paint shop to trust as part of their approved network, or to use my own, but remain £600 out of pocket for the NCD until the claim is settled. Either way I still have to wait and see what the respective insurance solicitors will decide for my fate and face potential higher premiums even with a "successful" non-fault claim.

I guess some people are just born that way ...

You should report the behaviour of said motorist to the Police. Shouting in someones face is an act of assault

The witness that you have may be willing to back you up with a prosecution, can the witness provide details of the following:

1, Shouting in your wifes face (this is the actual assault)

2, Your wife sounds as though she is justifiably frightened (affect on your wife during and after assault)

3, Were your kids in the car? Frightened?

You have a witness, you should report this immediately. Check that the witness is willing to confirm the incident to the Police - some people don't want to be involved when you mention the "P" word!

Your wife should not have entered into a conversation with the assailant, she should have driven off for her safety and immediately phoned the Police - with hindsight!

I cannot abide this type of behaviour.:mad:

Thanks for all the kinds words. So far is still with our insurance pending a response from his. Going with their paint shop in order to avoid paying the excess fee up front. Will just have to keep sending it back if the finish isn't good enough. Rear bumper and quarter panel have the worst marks, back door a couple of minor but visible ones. Beyond that the mirror has a scrape too. No dents that I can see (though it hasn't actually stopped raining for long enough yet!).

Will mention about the police, but I think she possibly won't want the stress and hassle of it all. Better sooner than later though if she does though. It did really knock her confidence and scared the hell out of her at the time. She just couldn't understand why someone would behave like that. Very glad the kids weren't in the car. Maybe he has a chip on his shoulder about women drivers .. or MB drivers .. or busy school spill out on local roads .. or the world in general!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom