Sigh .. they walk amoung us .. and unfortunately drive too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
definite inferiority complex coupled with low intelligence -just pond scum.
If she has a mobile with good camera /video facility that can help-heaven forbid any future similar situation.Good luck

1) Did you wife feel threatened and scared, answer :- Yes
This can be classed as aggravated assault, even though he didn't touch her, On female or child under 14 if they feel threatened its classed as aggravated.
2) Was he standing in the road, if he was, its jay walking.

Assault needs more than just feeling scared and jay walking is not an offence in the UK.

In this case banging on the window with a fist could be classed as assault but I doubt it would stick. The police would be more likely to use a public order offence if they wanted to do him.
Worth reporting IMHO.

Assault needs more than just feeling scared and jay walking is not an offence in the UK.

In this case banging on the window with a fist could be classed as assault but I doubt it would stick. The police would be more likely to use a public order offence if they wanted to do him.
Worth reporting IMHO.

I think you will find it is, if it against a female or minor under 14, its aggregated

Jaywalking is an offense, unless there are different laws in NI from the rest of the UK

Police will try for the laws they find easier to follow, i had to push them myself and quote the section of the law so they could go and look it up.

Alan

(I am not knocking the police)

I think you will find it is, if it against a female or minor under 14, its aggregated

Jaywalking is an offense, unless there are different laws in NI from the rest of the UK...

Must be different in NI then.

Here the police would have to use section 4 of the Public Order Act...
Fear or provocation of violence..

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—.

(a)uses towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour

(b)distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,.

with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful violence by that person or another, or whereby that person is likely to believe that such violence will be used or it is likely that such violence will be provoked.

Jaywalking is an offense, unless there are different laws in NI from the rest of the UK

Police will try for the laws they find easier to follow, i had to push them myself and quote the section of the law so they could go and look it up.

Alan

(I am not knocking the police)

It could be an NI thing - I know someone done for it (he says) in Belfast, but there is no equivalent on the mainland. There is an offence related to loitering on a pedestrian crossing.

Interestingly, although the driving standard here in Russia is quite frankly appalling, there doesn't seem to be the viciousness to go with it when things invariably go wrong.
- Very true. They cut each other up all the time, pull out in front of you etc, but I've never seen anyone actually take issue with it in the slightest. Road rage is a real problem in the UK and I don't know why it should be the case there specifically.

MarkP

The Russians do not get stressed in the same way we do because 'fault' and 'liability' are determined in a completely different way. The police produce the accident report and decide who was at fault. The accident report is needed to process an insurance claim. The driver who is innocent then has to claim by himself against the other driver's insurance company. Or, as is often the case, both parties bring whatever influence they have to bear and decide between themsleves who will pay. Influence and the police report are the key ingredients and it may well be that the result is that the innocent party pays for everything. That's Russia for you.

Why dont kids walk to school any more?

I had to.

They often do, though it's a 30-45 mins walk with them. In fact, on Wed morning, they walked in the rain because she was too scared that he might be driving past there at the same time in the morning. That's the legacy of idiots like this.

This morning at least she drove them there on the way elsewhere ...

Times like that one of those little video cameras seems like a good idea.

:confused:
:eek:

Good grief! Artyman, in the name of all that is good and pleasant and Zarquon's holy knees, Please... P L E A S E... P... L... E... A... S... E!!! do not suggest any such thing. We are, without doubt, the most heavily surveilled nation in the world and anything which adds to that needlessly inquisitive, prying, unblinking gaze, is highly likely to raise my stress levels further and produce in me the unreasonable urge to smash any camera which I see. Cameras do absolutely nothing to prevent crime or violent conduct.

They may have a role in identifying miscreants after the fact but a simple balaclava will defeat them. The current Orwellian obsession with spying on us all, is completely unacceptable to me (and probably to many others who were raised in the more genteel society of the 50s onwards) and I feel it is at odds with living a calm and useful life. Guilt is presumed if one is caught on camera just by dint of one's presence.

The behaviour described by AlanD is absolutely despicable and I feel for his wife and the madness she had to endure. It is also rather common to see our fellow humans use any excuse to display the shortest of fuses while they indulge in going postal. It probably arises in any society where there is too little space being shared by far too many people. The madness of us all trying to get to work and school at precisely the same time of day is also likely to be contributory.

As for right of way... it is not much use knowing that you had the right of way when you are lying under the wheels of some lunatic's conveyance. The relatively peaceful traffic in my small provincial town reminds me how much I hate big city driving. Where I live, it is very rare to hear a driver shouting abuse at another because they are blocking the way or some other trivial excuse to do with arriving somewhere too late because they did not leave sufficient time for their important journey. :doh:

People in large urban areas appear to be wired to the moon and happy to invoke violent disorder for any dumb reason. My counsel would be to drive defensively, accept that driving anyplace will induce unspecified delays and be prepared to give way (even if you have the right of way) at any time to any lunatic who feels that their life is incomplete unless they can get in front of you and be at their destination 5 seconds before you.

Last edited:
Well said Jepho!

I too live in a "provincial town" now, having moved away from London a few years ago and the difference in driving behaviour is remarkable.
When I have to return to London to visit clients, family and friends I'm reminded how hellish city driving is and how grateful I am that I don't have to endure it everyday!

And yes, we surely have enough cameras watching our every move as it, please don't suggest more!!! :eek: One of the things I enjoy about summer in Russia is the total lack of cameras spying on me constantly (except when visiting Moscow of course :D )

contact the police and make sure they know you believe he did it on purpose. may be insurance fraud.

a decent bodyshop and your car will look fine afterwards. just make sure you go to one that is gonna resolve any issues you may have (ie big company) for re-assurance.

We tend to forget the real power of our police has been taken away. They are now a service not a force.

Like the Special Air Service, or Special Boat Service, perhaps?

No-one seems to mind the Armed Forces being referred to as the Services, so I wonder why it's considered irksome when applied to the police?

Worth noting also that "force" in this context is just shorthand for "workforce", or body of people. It doesn't refer to the manner in which they carry out their duties.

Like the Special Air Service, or Special Boat Service, perhaps?

No-one seems to mind the Armed Forces being referred to as the Services, so I wonder why it's considered irksome when applied to the police?

Worth noting also that "force" in this context is just shorthand for "workforce", or body of people. It doesn't refer to the manner in which they carry out their duties.

But the SAS & SBS are still part for H.M.Forces. not that it makes any difference because they too have so many rules enforced on them that they may as well join a knitting circle nowadays. :(

In my local paper its reported one guy beaten and stabbed to death early am, parent of two boys. I actually saw all the tape and flowers tuesday.

Another tried to commit suicide after a separate assault on someone. Jumped off a bridge but missed the train :)

More like beirut everyday.

contact the police and make sure they know you believe he did it on purpose. may be insurance fraud.

a decent bodyshop and your car will look fine afterwards. just make sure you go to one that is gonna resolve any issues you may have (ie big company) for re-assurance.

Yep, the fact he deliberately scraped the car could also be deemed as deliberately causing a collision, something the police would be interested in.

I'd maybe get some legal advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom