Silicon removal problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
On Sat I bought and applied sanitory silicon to the tiled joint between the floor and walls in a new wetroom. About 6 linear metres. This was the best silicon (I thought) from Screwfix made by Dow Corning.

As of this morning it has failed to set properly and although skinned over slightly has remained gooey.

Dow Corning helpline says that it has likely been frozen and it should be removed. :eek:

Fairy-snuff...but how do I remove the slippy residue that's left on the tiles so I can get a decent bond with any new stuff I apply? :dk:

Any ideas folks?

Ta.

Look in the Screwfix catalogue for Silicone remover.

Unfortunately this only dissolves hardened old silicon but doesn't get rid of the greasy residue left by that which is newly applied. (At least so I'm reliably informed).

No, it can be used on fresh or cured silicone...or so I'm reliably informed.;)

From their site: Use Dow Corning® OS-2 Silicone Cleaner and Surface Prep Solvent to Clean Uncured Silicone.

Thread Hi-Jack alert

Any ideas on what is the best silicone sealant to avoid the dreaded black mould?

I used some of the "mould free" stuff (Unibond) about two years back - and the black mould has returned.

Hi-jack reply. Dow Corning 785 also Everbuild Forever White are our best sellers.

Tec7 cleaner is supposed to be a good at removing silicone.

If you have applied a bead of silicone Everbuild do a angled stripout tool.
this would remove most of the silicone and allow the remainder to be scraped off.

they also do another tool for finishing (smoothout) tool which is great for getting a fine finish.

steve

I discovered the holly grail of silicon.

CT1 followed by use of multisolve. The main best invesion i have discovered in 10 yrs of DIY.

Multisolve removes old silicon

Reapply CT1

then spray over with multisolve and use finger to smooth (ct1 stops it sticking to your finger and makes the finish A1
Silicone Sealant, Silicone Adhesive, Adhesive Glue & Remove Silicone Sealant - Ct1 Ltd

Sorted now, thanks all. Cut/scraped away most of the offending mess with a scalpel then Bro-in-law came round with Wonder Wipes (courtesy of Everbuild.) Job done. :thumb:

Everbuild Product Range - Everbuild.

BTW...tried to get OS-2 and there are two stockists in the UK. The Scottish one said £6.33 a can but ther's a six week lag while it comes from the US.
The English one had ten cans in stock but a minimum £90 order with £27 carriage. :eek:

Good try all the same.

One of the causes of mould build up is in the way silicone is applied.
If you use the wet finger method to smooth it out it can cause a well in the sealant where water gathers.
Water dries and you get watermarks and mould growth.
If you use a tool to smooth the silicone you should get an even bond without leaving water traps

Sorted now, thanks all. Cut/scraped away most of the offending mess with a scalpel then Bro-in-law came round with Wonder Wipes (courtesy of Everbuild.) Job done. :thumb:

Everbuild Product Range - Everbuild.

We have a tub of those from when we had building work done. Forgot all about them they are very good, can remove practically anything.

Silicone will always allow mould to grow because it's a product that bacteria thrive on, whereas grout will kill bacteria and mould.

^ with that in mind DM I'm going to grout the join rather than re-silicon it. :thumb:

^ with that in mind DM I'm going to grout the join rather than re-silicon it. :thumb:

Grout cracks if there is any movement - hence the need for silicone between different materials (baths-tiles, etc). Ususally best to use silicone in corners too as sometimes walls move relative to each other

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom