Silly neighbours 'manager' dispute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Not really a dispute - more of a silly ar$e problem....

Not sure how we shoudl tackle this - so advice re next move appreciated.

Story / circumstances:-
We own a water mill, which now, after several years very hard work and a hell of a lot of money (think small house value) now generates electricity for 'free' (prepaid some would call it...)

The water that feeds us comes off the river on the neighbours land. The neighbour is German and lives in Germany, and whos English is good but not perfect, minor misunderstandings and or opposites have happened (eg - its ok to do this, actually it isnt). But relations are good.

They employ a 'manager' who is nothing of the sort - more 'janitor'. He is employed to mow the grass etc.

Said manager has now put 5 separate things into the leat (water channel) system blocking it. Possibly more, but those 5 are 'very likely' on my scale. The last item - a bucket - at 6pm I removed, and stamped on (yeah - childish) and lobbed into the river next to the leat (yeah - ok - not green). The next day I find the same bucket in my field.... The only way said bucket could end up there is with human intervention. I see no reason said janitor should remove the bucket from the river (where it could have washed down - the same as it could have washed down to the leat) and lob it into my field unless he attributed the bucket to me....

Sounds childish in the extreme. But the money starts becoming significant. This is not the only 'sabotage' that has happened - another incident involved him switching off the water for 4 days - killing 1/2 a mile of aquatic wildlife that we just managed to keep alive over this very very dry summer through constant effort. Another involved him opening a sluice at the precise moment that would wash away river bed works. Its long and complex.

A suggestion has been to install a 'trail-cam' type wildlife camera next to the point where he (allegedly) puts in stuff to block the water - however this isnt my land (even though I have rights to access it)

Every time this has been brought up he denies any knowledge and blames 'kids' - even though I actually caught him once doing it.

What would you do?

LOL - thats what I have been told by every single bloke I have asked. Every one. and one woman. My mrs is a bloody hippy.

I would put up a trail cam, carefully hidden... then record the evidence that you accidentally caught on your nature cam.

Then approach your German neighbour with the evidence and detailed historical activities whilst politely asking that he ensures that his employee ceases this disruptive behaviour.

What motive does this 'manager' have for being such a PITA?

I think gather the evidence and then try to talk to the land owner is the only realistic way forward to begin with?

If that fails I am sure there are plenty of disposal facilities nearby?:D

Also, presumably the Environment Agency have an interest in the waterway being unobstructed?

Hard evidence is what's really required first & foremost.

In the meantime you should just ignore it from now on (possibly less of his carry on will happen over winter). Next, you could contact his employer, a nice letter explaining the situation and asking then to instruct their manager to kept an eye on anybody causing potential flow problems - hope you see where I'm coming from here. After that it's all down to evidence, the law and what course of action the employer takes. Personally, I'd avoid doing or saying anything including childish actions as you mentioned.

That's my 2p's worth and might be worth less as nobody knows the real situation except you.

I would put up a trail cam, carefully hidden... then record the evidence that you accidentally caught on your nature cam.

Then approach your German neighbour with the evidence and detailed historical activities whilst politely asking that he ensures that his employee ceases this disruptive behaviour.

What motive does this 'manager' have for being such a PITA?

what are the potential implications of implanting a camera not on your land?

Genuinely have no idea what the janiors reasons are. Really.

Keep a diary of every incident, its very useful when asked when and where rather than relying on memory. Speak to the Enviroment Agency as well, not sure if they can help but worth a shot.

public access - it is a b&b / weekly holiday apartment rental property, with full grounds access for guests (inc tennis court next to said blockage point), plus agreed neighbours may move livestock through (horses) with their ever changing staff

Record it first. After you have plenty of evidence then contact the owner. You can show him without any legal consequence. Have on hand some other local person or company to recommend as a replacement. Don't deal with the numpty at all keep it all with the owner and keep it polite. I would hope he'd get replaced. If not then report anon to the local authority and don't hold back about what you SAW him do but you don't want to give your name you were just a guest or walker. or something.

And last point have you updated the site yet ?

what are the potential implications of implanting a camera not on your land?

Genuinely have no idea what the janiors reasons are. Really.

There would be zero implications if on public access land. i.e. Not signposted as private property, no trespassing etc.

I would suspect that if confronted with good quality filmed evidence it would be very unlikely that your neighbours would wish to discuss the rights and wrong of filming.

People will often do the strangest of things (like this) over some perceived wrong doing. This can be the most minor of things that sticks in their throat and builds in their minds into something far greater than anybody in reason would ever consider.

Sadly this is common in most neighbour disputes. Jealousy can play a big part or any perception of a snub.

Good luck.

Presumably he's not doing it out of boredom. Have you thought if asking him if there is a problem, and if so, how you can help resolve it? Worth a try; you'll be no worse off if he just says "no" and carries on as before, blaming 'kids' again, and who knows, you might be able to sort out whatever he sees as the problem.

Last edited:
yes - have asked if theres a 'problem' - there isnt.

he hid (took away) the 'keys' to the sluice gates at one point. I took this as an indication that he didnt want me to adjust the sluices further up the system, so I left it well alone. Months later the son of one of the owners asked me very very politely if I wouldnt mind letting more water over the weir. I said yes, but I couldnt as the keys are missing.....

was he trying to get me into 'trouble' by bypassing all the water down the system rather than the river? Possibly.

I suspect he has a problem with you using diverted water to get free electricity, so is making life difficult.

You are going to have to confront his head on to make progress.

But why DM? How does my 'free' leccy affect him? he doesnt pay any energy bills.

Because he is jealous. You are going to need to get firm over each and every incident and reason.

Don't say the keys are lost, say "manager" took them. (assuming that is true)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom