Silly novice oil question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edc

Car
Boxster 550 Spyder Anniversary and C55 AMG sadly for sale
I have a C55. I want to drain off a little oil with a pump extractor.

I look for a mechanical dipstick and don't see one ...

I assume I have to remove the filter by the oil cap to be able to suck any oil out?

At the rear up against the bulkhead there is a red cap covering an inlet pipe of sorts - what is that? The manual doesn't help with any of this.

there is an inlet for the oil dipstick (not included) into which you can insert the probe for the extractor .. it may be a black plastic cover instead

there is an inlet for the oil dipstick (not included) into which you can insert the probe for the extractor .. it may be a black plastic cover instead

I might need some help confirming the whereabouts of that as knowing me I will find one and end up sucking something else out instead!

I know that on certain models C203 included the dipstick tube moved from the front of the engine to the rear. I would guess that the blanked off red cap is the top of the engine is an oil level inspection tube. You will need to purchase a suitable aftermarket dipstick and test it out. Should be easy to distinguish between engine oil and transmission fluid.

I've read elsewhere that the red cap with the flat end at the rear left as you stand at the front of the bonnet is the engine oil dipstick tube for the C55. Can anyone confirm rather than me having to randomly poke down various apertures in the engine?

If so it looks very high up and a long way down to the sump. I don't think my newly bought pump tube will go down that far ...

Do you have anything that looks like this?

$_1.JPG

A646 010 00 35

If so then the engine oil tube would be just underneath.

That's exactly what I've got. When I'm back I'll put that pump to good use after all! Thanks.

Bit of a cross post but I'm pleased to say my 12 quid Silverline extractor did the job and I did find the right dipstick tube. I was a bit heavy handed with the pump and creating a vacuum and had I not kept an eye on it it would have pulled out 1.5L not 1L. I say 1L as that's what it looks like approx. as the container is 1.5L but there are no markings on the side of it ... Anyway, dash seems happy, the car's still barely done any miles, and for a C55 yes it is the red flat end cap to the rear left of the engine as you stand in front to extract the oil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom