Silver Arrows, MB World, 7th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I was bought an SL 63 driving experience for a birthday present last year, and I phoned up today to book it for tomorrow (it expired three days ago, but they give you two weeks grace).

I was hoping for 1 or 2 o' clock drive time, and 2 was the earliest they had. It turns out that they are having a Sliver Arrows display at 1 o'clock, so that's a happy coincidence, and this is a heads up for anyone who may be around tomorrow, in case you didn't know. Not to see me, of course, but the Silver Arrows!

Think the silver arrows is every day when the kids are off, got to ride along in the SL63 during the display when we went a few years back.

I did the three hour AMG Driving Academy in an SL 63 at MB World the other week-end. It was very good and they tailored it towards handling limits as I had requested. The day was perfect insofar as it poured down with rain. When you plant your foot in the SL63 it squiggles and squirms and you think to yourself this car will kill me in the rain on a wet A road. The session proved how wrong I was the handling limits even with ESP in Sport mode are incredible. If you haven't decided on an SL63 prior to the session you certainly would afterwards. Judging by the fuel consumption you get in the SL63 I'd say it's a bargain as you probably use the value of the session in fuel. It's better than a track-day 1.because the circuits are designed as twisty A roads. 2. You are the only knob on the circuit and 3 most important it's someone else's car!

nice to drive 63

A big thanks to the MB World (Rusty) Driving Experience team for being so accommodating, as we were seriously held up with traffic, and they found us a later slot, having phoned ahead. I may even have a speeding ticket on its way as the M3 has SPECS cameras for most of the section I had to use.

Since we had to wait a while for my new time, we decided to eat there, and that was nearly my downfall, as I was starting to feel a bit of motion sickness after about 50 mins of rapid twists and turns! My instructor was retired Met Police traffic/murder squad and a good guy to boot, and he only had to smack my wrist once, as I'd forgotten we were on the 30mph limit straight. No problem, as he had his own brake pedal!

I've been toying with the idea of replacing either a 129 SL or a 211 estate with an AMG, so I was looking forward to trying the 63, but of course this car has the 5.5 bi turbo, with the most amazing soundtrack, with lots of thunder, crackle and pop! 0-60 in 4.1, and I didn't realise the CLS is even quicker (3.8), with greater horse power for a heavier car. The safety features and systems are impressive, but one symbol that came up on the dash a couple of times was a circle with a diagonal line running through, just like the NSL sign, something the instructor hadn't seen before. Any ideas?

Getting back into my SL500, which felt quite pedestrian in comparison, I did wonder how long I might keep my licence with so much more power to hand, but as we were only doing 15mph on the M25, I also wondered how frustrating it would be to not be able to use the car to its any of its potential. Then I turned 61 on Saturday, and I thought who am I kidding?!!

Just as a matter of interest how long did you drive the car?

It's more about handling than speed, and it breaks down roughly at 5 mins at the dry straight line section (braking education), then 5 minutes wet straight line for understeer and oversteer education, approximately 10 minutes on the circular skid pan trying to drift and 40 minutes on the twisty track.

It's more about handling than speed, and it breaks down roughly at 5 mins at the dry straight line section (braking education), then 5 minutes wet straight line for understeer and oversteer education, approximately 10 minutes on the circular skid pan trying to drift and 40 minutes on the twisty track.

I agree and I found it very interesting and if I hadn't of decided on an SL63 before I certainly would have after doing a few hours on the handling circuit in the rain.

If driven all day, the SLs get through a set of tyres every two to three days!

Just realised you have one, Birma! Is it a 5.5 or the 6.2? I'm just wondering how the two compare.

I was there on the 7th and have taken a fair number of pics, will upload them as you might have been in one of them :)

Just realised you have one, Birma! Is it a 5.5 or the 6.2? I'm just wondering how the two compare.

Mines a 2008 N/A from a price point of view the 6.2 is a relative bargain (£40-50K) I am also a big fan of the N/A engine.
I couldn't honestly tell any difference having driven the 5.5 for about three hours as I mentioned my intention was to see what the limits of handling are and the day was perfect as it was pouring with rain.
If anyone was thinking of buying an SL this is the perfect way to see if they are the car for you.

I was there on the 7th and have taken a fair number of pics, will upload them as you might have been in one of them :)

I was driving the SL on the playground from 9 until lunch time about 1

I was driving the SL on the playground from 9 until lunch time about 1

We arrived about 12:30, saw the Sliver Arrows bit and hung around until about 3.

Food was good, wasnt that overally impressed with the actual place TBH, I was thinking it would be more of a muesum rather than a large showroom - still worth going though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom