Silver cars are safer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Sorry Kinky, I just know that you were dying to post this ;) :

Silver cars safer, research shows

Drivers of silver cars are less likely to suffer serious injuries in a crash than motorists with vehicles of another colour, research has claimed.

Silver cars were said to be 50% less likely to be involved in a major crash compared to white cars, according to the report in the British Medical Journal.

But driving a brown car appeared to be the recipe for disaster, with these vehicles the most likely to suffer serious crashes.

The researchers from the University of Auckland in New Zealand examined the effect car colour had on the risk of injury in more than 1,000 drivers between 1998-99, taking into account age, sex, seat belt use and road conditions.

They said that around 3,000 people were killed in traffic accidents around the world every day.

Past research has also suggested that lighter coloured cars are less likely to be involved in accidents.

The New Zealand study found that after brown cars, black and green vehicles also had a higher risk of accident, while yellow, grey, red and blue cars were not significantly different to white cars.

The researchers said it was questionable how far their results could be applied to other settings.

But they concluded: "Increasing the proportion of silver cars could be an effective passive strategy to reduce the burden of injury from car crashes."

:D

lotusmark2 said:
I must admit I alway have the urge to ram brown cars off the road, so that explains that then ;)

Hehe , nice one :)

Silver lovers 1 - Silver haters 0 :p

Flyer said:
The New Zealand study found that after brown cars, black and green vehicles also had a higher risk of accident, while yellow, grey, red and blue cars were not significantly different to white cars.
From what I remember from my psychology course, brown and green colours are only bad because people subconsciously ignore them, they are the colour of the ground and trees etc, which are inherently "safe".

GDC200 said:
Lies, damn lies and statistics. If one brown car out of the 10 ever made has a crash then 10% of brown cars have crashes if 2000 silver cars crash it only accounts for 0.0000001% of the number of silver cars on the road. Fuse lit ...run!!! :D

You'll have to run faster than that :D have you never heard of safety in numbers :D .

If it's such a low percentage os SILVER cars that get pranged then there's a good chance it won't be mine :bannana: - but if it's a higher percentage of brown and should I be stupid enough to have a brown car, then it's more likely to be mine and would serve me right :D

Yey - come on the silver army :D

Perhapse the "other colour" people need to rest a while, here take a seat :D
chiavari%20silver_jpg.jpg

Flyer said:
Silver cars safer, research shows

Yeh, but it's not surprising because they're all driven by boring sheep... [gets coat and drives BLACK car to nearest airport]

pammy said:
... but if it's a higher percentage of brown and should I be stupid enough to have a brown car ...

So you won't be getting a respray then? :D
f0331.jpg

K24_3.JPG

K27.JPG

Sorry, couldn’t resist it :crazy:

If you look closely you can see brown paint on these silver cars, showing where the brown cars drove into them :D

I wonder how many crashes are Silver/Silver ? And would that count as 2 crashes ?

Silver Safer?

…mmm not so sure about this Silver is Safer rumour. MB use Silver cars for their crash tests, maybe they are conducting tests that represent the typical Mercedes Crash?
The best thing about silver is the stone chips don't show up so bad.

Last edited:
vito113 said:
…mmm not so sure about this Silver is Safer rumour. MB use Silver cars for their crash tests, maybe they are conducting tests that represent the typical Mercedes Crash?
The best thing about silver is the stone chips don't show up so bad.
Or chips from your pushbike handlebar as you squeeze past like i did yesterday morning :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I have 3 questions

1. Who paid these people to do this research ?
2. How do I get a job there ?
3. When can I expect this to increase my insurance premium ? :crazy:

I just have to say that I think it's a sad reflection on life today that the silver boys have to justify the very reasoning for puchasing their cars, by using stats which we know are usually not a true position, as theyre spun to reflect their very argument.

Ok, so they made a mistake and deeply regret it.

I'm happy to forgive you all this once, and once only.

I now demand that you all go and trade in your cars now, loose 30% of the value, and get those lovely wonderful shades of blue, black, red or green vehicles which MB so much more lovingly prepare than any old silver muck.

:rock:

We the gradual conversion of White Van Man to Silver Van Man, does this mean the van drivers will automatically be safer in the future?

PJH said:
We the gradual conversion of White Van Man to Silver Van Man, does this mean the van drivers will automatically be safer in the future?
Of course not, white van man was extremely likely to be in an accident according to the figures, but silver van man can ignore the status of the traffic lights, forget the use of the indicators and get much more friendly with your tailgate with the complete peace of mind that he is less likely to be in an accident ;)

Source of Information

The info on silver cars comes from this weeks endition of the British Medical Journal.

"Car colour and risk of car crash injury: population based case control study
S Furness, J Connor, E Robinson, R Norton, S Ameratunga, and R Jackson
BMJ 2003;327:1455-1456, doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7429.1455"

Read the full article at:

BMJ Article

Ah Ha ! It relates to NEW ZEALAND !
Therefore it's been a complete wind-up for all UK based non-Silver (oops!) Grey MB owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom