Silver E55.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also with this stand alone ECU, presumably you have no theoretical boost limit?

Also with this stand alone ECU, presumably you have no theoretical boost limit?

No boost limit imposed by the MAP sensor if that’s what you mean but still limited by the RPM and pulley size of the supercharger.

Have you done a crazy small pulley or one of the more typical ones?

No, nothing crazy, just one of their standard pulleys. It is the smallest they do so there's nowehere more crazy to go on that side of things anyway.

No, nothing crazy, just one of their standard pulleys. It is the smallest they do so there's nowehere more crazy to go on that side of things anyway.
Alex.......nowhere to go more crazy.......you have redesigned the intake for the weistec supercharger, running a standalone Ecu with a manual transmission with ratios to suit!!!!!!! What do you class as crazy???

Can still get a custom ground pulley :D

I wish it was just that! The ratio between the sc and crank pulleys is 2.75, which means that at 7000 engine’s RPM the supercharger is turning 19,250 times out of 18,000 capped by Whipple (bearing rating). So a smaller sc pulley (or bigger crankshaft balancer) is going to affect the longevity of the sc drive which is the limiting factor.

Fair enough haha

So when you hit the boost wall, sounds like the only way is turbo after this (if needed)

Fair enough haha

So when you hit the boost wall, sounds like the only way is turbo after this (if needed)

The tuning is not finished yet but even then there is a few areas to tweak to get to the target speed in this car. Shorter diff, map for meth - there's more to come.

Have you driven it yet?

Only in first gear and reverse (the clutch was sticking and neeeded adjusting). All sorted now but I'm fabricating new hats for the fuel tank to run bigger lines so will be a couple of weeks before I fire her up again.

After the amount of time and effort you've spent so far, it makes sense to take your time to ensure everything is spot on!

Absolutely beautiful work!!

I really wish MB had made this engine with a manual gearbox. It's going to be such a great combination. Jealous is not a strong enough word!

No boost limit imposed by the MAP sensor if that’s what you mean but still limited by the RPM and pulley size of the supercharger.
Great thread Alex, I think some people here just cannot imagine the detail you have gone into with this build, I have gone dizzy just listening to what you have and are doing, such finite stuff, I really look forward to seeing your perceived goal with this W211 55 machine, its going to be fun, all the best with the completion mate. R

Holiday season has had its toll. I've been away and not done much so time to catch up.

My trip to the tuning shop started out pretty exciting. After all it was nearly 2 years since the car was locked up in the unit to be taken apart and reassembled. It felt massive sitting inside (probably due to unit not being large) so seeing it outside for the first time in such a long time was great.

24936969818_5c24c7be27_c.jpg

We loaded the car on to the trailer and off it went. As it was Friday, the plan was to get her over to the shop and ready for early Monday morning.

Monday was hectic. To start with, the idle was quite high (1200-1400) and when you lower the RPM, the engine would oscillate. Almost as if someone kept tapping on the gas pedal every two seconds. There was a coolant leak somewhere too. Half way though the day we found out that one of the throttle bodies wasn't fully working. Mercedes didn't have any available immediately so off I went to pick up a second hand unit from a place 1/2 hour away but because it was towards the end of the day, the traffic was manic, I barely made it to the breakers 1.5 hours later. Just to find out it was a different TB to what they confirmed they had in stock. Another 1/2 hour later they found one they advertised. Except that it was filthy but at that point I no longer cared. Then a long way home and early start again to get the TB cleaned and blanked off for my application. Honestly, I was almost glad Monday was over if it wasn't my Mrs birthday! Quite a day.

Tuesday was great. I prepped the TB early in the morning, drove up to the tuner, we hooked the TB and all our woes from yesterday immediately went away (apart from the coolant leak but it was miniscule). It was a great relief and we could finally focus on getting the car mapped. The session went well but it became obvious, the fuelling system needed an overhaul. I swapped out the pumps on Wednesday for some aftermarket units but they didn't change a thing. After we hooked up a fuel pressure sensor, it was the fuel lines that needed upgrading.

Some graphs as promised:

38935590581_6207eebe53_c.jpg

38935592201_5714de3b21_c.jpg

As mentioned before, the car would only go to about 5500rpm before it runs out of the fuel pressure. I'm hoping to fix this with bigger lines, return to the tank (the oriignal system is returnless), a FP regulator and a new, higher flowing filter. Basically it's a whole new fuel circuit, loosely based on the original layout. Apart from new components I knew I had to change both hats (one at the fuel filter side, another at the pump side) as they wouldn't be compatible with the new setup. The pump side hat had a small leak too due to a burnt connector (there was a recall on this Stateside.)

38899505872_42b0ba88f8_c.jpg

I fabbed up two stainless steel hats by moving the level sensor and both swirl pot legs from the original Mercedes units:

27760340019_40750d5a0d_c.jpg

38640339005_9c4b317ab1_c.jpg

Then drilled and installed AN fittings that I picked up from some local suppliers earlier. Here's the hat fitted in the tank:

38827605814_e2360a0595_c.jpg

The next step was to somehow fasten the new pumps inside the swirl pots. I tried the cable tie route but it was eventually sliding to one end and kept pulling the pump from the prefilter:

24668845487_80fce9036c_c.jpg

So I had to improvise and came up with this:

39536683121_81a44bb963_c.jpg

Thanks G. I've got everything I need at this point bar a couple of electrical connectors. Brought home a bag full of good stuff just before Christmas:

39536682541_e5924ea5bb_c.jpg

Fuelab fuel regulator and filter, a bag of AN fittings and some hoses. -8 for feed, -6 for return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom