Silverstone Experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w124nut

Car
Mercedes W124 E320 cabriolet
Yesterday, my wife won a day's driving experience at Silverstone. She has the choice of driving a Ferrari, Aston Martin or a Nissan.

She doesn't know what models from each marque there are available to drive and is waiting for written details of the win through the post.

Irrespective of model choice, what make of car would you choose if you had won the prize?

Manufacturer no object : AC Cobra - proper 427 Shelby one

From your list : Aston Martin

It depends how much of a car nut she is. If she's looking for the car with best noise and bragging rights then I'd go with the Ferrari.

The Nissan, I assume a GT-R, should be very capable, but I doubt these places will let the drivers really push the car hard, so I'd stick with the Ferrari if I had the choice.

Because its a limited one off ----FERRARI because its the closest to an "instant gratification " car experience-- bit like a roller coaster. Aston Martin is perhaps a longer term thing which needs time to savour like joining a good golf club.The Nissan--- technical masterpiece that it is, doesn't get a look in except maybe to fans of Grand Theft Auto 4 :p

It probably does not matter too much but assuming the Nissan GT-R (or even the NSX).....that is the one I would choose.

Mic

Did one of these last year in a ferrari 360 at Rockingham :bannana:A great day, not only beause the Fezzer was fantastic but the instructor was Ian Ashley (former F1 driver) top bloke!
Sighting laps were done in a Mini cooper, I was actually very surprised at how quickly these can go round a track.

Drove a 360 Ferrari at Silverstone two weeks ago as a treat to myself and to be able to say I've driven one. I recall seeing 135 mph on the Hangar Straight while still accelerating but to be honest wasn't confident enough after just three or four laps to watch the dials rather than sighting for the corners. There didn't seem to be a lot more power to be had at that point so I suspect the cars are detuned a bit. I do drive a car already with steering gear change so the flappy paddles were nice and easy unlike the Renault Megane Cup that was used for learning the lines and required very firm selection. Very good fun but you need at least three laps (on the southern half of the Grand Prix circuit while the Touring car championship was on the top half) to get to grips with any car on there. There was an Aston circulating and I think I may have overtaken it. Your wife will probably get a ride round with an instructor driving. There really was one of the earlier passengers throwing up as soon as he got out of the car but unless she has a weak stomach I wouldn't worry because they instructors don't get there without knowing what they are doing.

A personal choice for me would be the Aston. I'm not too fussed on Ferrari's. If I didn't get 135+ mph during my laps. Then I would expect a full refund.

I would also hope to get The Stig as the instructor.

I've never got Aston Martins, there is not a single one I like or would care to own and drive.

So it would be the Nissan or the Ferrari that would be my choice. Or I'd ask politely for a Porsche 911.

A couple of months back I drove a Lamborghini Gallardo round Silverstone (birthday present :) ) Awesome sound track but a bugger of a gearbox (6 speed manual)! Managed to get a four wheel drift through a couple of corners.

But it's the engine that really made my spine tingle.... Wonderfully vocal at high revs :D

It would be between the Aston Martin and the Ferrari for me. I'd just have to go with gut reaction on the day as I stood there and looked at them.

Somebody was wobbling very noisily with lots of tyre squeal round Stow corner in a Lambo while I was spectating. You certainly seem to be able to get some speed as the briefing instructor told his anecdote about the beginner coming down to Stow at 160 mph in an Audi R8 and failing to comprehend the instruction to brake by just dabbing the pedal. Those runoffs are handy!

Manufacturer no object : AC Cobra - proper 427 Shelby one

From your list : Aston Martin

a few months ago i had the chance to go out in a replica kit-car cobra with a 6.3 v8 chevy engine. It took my breath away and i have since fallen in love! that day i also got to go out in an Ultima that was off the chart quick amongst other very nice cars. but nothing matched up to the experience of the cobra :p

from the list it would be a Ferrari, but i would be very curious about what nissan it would be!

The Nissan GT-R is one hell of a machine. But as said above you will not be able to push it to the limits and so go with the Ferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom