Sim cards and phone numbers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Is it possible to have two Sim cards for the same phone number? If it is how do you do it. If you can presumably you can only use one phone at a time.......Ideas and comments welcome.

I had this idea a while back. To allow me to have one phone that I had a car kit for and installed and to have whatever latest fandango beam me up scotty mobile was for general use without caring about how it integrated in the car.

The answer is, easily, no.

I think Vodafone did cater for people who wanted two sims on the same number, but the service had a name and cost more, a lot more.

Thats what I was thinking, one for the car and a Nokia 3200 camera phone for keeping up with my daughter with!

Hypothetically speaking, its possible to clone a SIM ;) To do so you would hypothetically need to get hold of the SIM's Ki (magic number used for subsriber authentication) held on the original SIM. Unfortunately its impossible to read this number out of the SIM, its never transmitted over the air, and its only ever stored in 2 places, the SIM and the Network. So it should be pretty easy for a network to duplicate one of their own SIMs. Or DIY if you're any good at 128bit decryption and have several millenia to spare...

I suspect the "dual SIM" offerings by the operators are not clones of the original, but have different IDs, and simply point to the same number and account in the network, allowing you to choose which one receives incoming calls.

I had dual sim on vodafone. Cost an extra fiver a month or so.

The service worked well and you just key in a code on the phone you want to use and all the calls come there. I just didnt need it anymore which is why i don't have it now.

you can only get it on business tarrifs

Was just speaking to a mate back in Oz today, and he tells me that the second sim/same number functionality has been recently released over there. Missed the point of the orginal post - understad now. Sounds good!

Orange are due to launch this facility in Q1 2005 if anyone is on the right network.

Guy

I have two sims with the same number with Vodafone business. It's ok but you lose any mms functionality so you can't send photos and no conference calling either. I think as Fuzzer say's it's about a fiver a month.

Its called Multi Sim on Vodafone. I've used it on a number of tarriffs - not just business. Works well, but can be a pain if you don't sync your phone books between phones !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom