SIM cards for use in US

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Off to US for three weeks and obviously do not want to be hammered for phone calls and data charges.

Got unlocked smartphone and tablet and been advised that locally purchased PAYGo AT&T SIMs are the best option.

That sound right?
I

Yes, unless you have a 3 contract - then it's basically free, including data, as it'll come off your monthly allowance - wonderful feature!. So far they offer 16 countries, if I remember correctly, could be more by now - haven't checked since last November.

Be careful with the 3 'Feel at Home', data and UK calls remain included but make a local call in the US and Boom, they get you...

What network are you on in the UK?

You can get one of those Three pay monthly sim only deals without a minimum contract, very useful when travelling to the US and other included countries

Last September I got a T-mobile sim to use in NY for a couple of weeks. Had I planned better I probably could have got the sim for free but I only realised I needed it after I got there and my work bberry broke. I bought the sim in bestbuy to use in my personal phone. I think I paid something like $2 a day for data. I didn't need to make too many calls.

Most of the UK telcos have a deal now where you pay something like a £5 daily rate and you can just carry on as if you are still in the UK with your monthly minutes and data.

That's all I do when I roam now.

I know 3 should be OK as is EE and Voda - not sure about O2 as they tend to be a bit behinsd the curve.

O2 seem pretty hopeless in this respect.

Did offer to lift my £125 per day data cap though....

We were in the states last year and the 3 phone bill for my wife and son was exactly the same for the time we were there as it was back home.

My daughter took her old Galaxy 3 without a sim and used the WiFi in the hotels etc. , she used the "Whats App" application to send texts and pics back home .

Kenny

For travelling abroad, I use WorldSim, it does work, but quite awkward to set up.

Got ripped off by T-Mobile last year, Pay as You Go sim that charged me for making and receiving calls.
This time I bought a cheap phone ($15) and a AT&T prepaid sim. $2 for the first call and free national calls and texts for the rest of the day.

I use telaway. Get a sim card and for a flat fee I get.
Free calls within USA to mobiles and landlines
Unlimited data
Free calls to UK to landlines and mobiles
I also get a London landline number I can give to others to call which diverts to my phone. I also set up my mobile to divert to London number so people who call my mobile come straight through to my USA number.

Just google telaway sim cards for USA. They use the T-Mobile network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom