SIM/handset recognition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Can mobile 'phone companies tell what type of handset a SIM is in? I.e. remotely interrogate the SIM to see if it's in a Nokia 6230 or Sony K700i, etc?

jukie said:
Can mobile 'phone companies tell what type of handset a SIM is in? I.e. remotely interrogate the SIM to see if it's in a Nokia 6230 or Sony K700i, etc?
yes :) They can use the IMEI number on the phone.

You been offered one of those Samsung D500's also then ;)

peterchurch said:
I have a D500 its the best phone I have ever owned :rock:

Yeah, £2,000,000 worth of them were stolen recently according to crimewatch.

Was offered one the other day for a ton.

Sp!ke said:
Yeah, £2,000,000 worth of them were stolen recently according to crimewatch.

Was offered one the other day for a ton.

Shame I would guess that they would be completly usless in the UK :(

peterchurch said:
yes :) They can use the IMEI number on the phone.

I was told by Orange that they can't read the IMEI of the phone. Basically I wanted my P800 unlocked to use on any network and they needed the IMEI number. To do this so I had to hang up, read the number of the inside of the phone and then call back.

The call centers may not be able to read them but the IMEI is used to ban the phone if it is stolen so there are parts of the network that can. A few years ago I had serveral different models for the Orange network and I called them up to ask a question and they was able to tell me what model I was using at the time they also refered to one of my other phones. You can use a phone code to get the Emie number as well on some phones, to save on taking the battery off...
I was told by one of their admins that, 3 scan the network disabling any 2G phones they find...

peterchurch said:
You can use a phone code to get the Emie number as well on some phones, to save on taking the battery off...
*#06# - its part of the GSM spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom