Simple things so complicated and painful... replacing bulbs on newer cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
After 2 years of ownership I had to delve beneath the s205's bonnet to replace a dipped beam bulb.
The w202 and s124 had loads of space to switch, but the s205 was torture as you need one hand to hold the assembly and another to pull off the bulb. In the dark, wind and cold. I needed a small screwdriver to lever the bulb off the bulb seat, and finally figured out that it was better to point the bulb up through the bodywork where I could get a better view and grip. I shall have to buy a head led torch and a bullet/snake torch to see what I am doing. Having said all this, the s205 has an anticlockwise twist off cover and an anticlockwise twist off bulb assembly. Both are improvements on the old designs. Its still a pig to change the bulbs, especially the dipped ones which are right in the wings and my hands are already small.

My 2006 S203 C class like many cars has a headlamp bulb held in with a spring 'cage' affair, very common. They usually clip into a cut out on the headlamp housing. Anyone who has changed a headlight bulb will be familiar with this arrangement.

For some reason known only to themselves MB saw fit to hold this spring part in with a tiny screw (in all my years of driving I have never had one of these springs let go- in fact they can be a pain to get off sometimes due to poor access ) Not only did they decide to use a tiny screw , it's a TORX screw FFS !

A headlamp bulb replacement (on a car this old) should be a 'side of the road' job not requiring a trip to a tool supply shop , Working in engineering I have all sorts of tools to get the job done , many people don't but even I would not have thought to carry a small TORX screwdriver set with me to change a headlamp bulb.

I wonder which Dumbkopft signed this one off ? 🤔 Probably the same one who saw fit to delete the TC drain plug from the Transmission :doh:.

Rant over.

That's mild by some vehicles. I've encountered instances where lack of space meant removing the entire front bumper so that the light unit could be taken out to be worked on.

Wasn't it a Megane that necessitated jacking the car and removing a front wheel to access the back of the light via a wheelarch flap?

That's mild by some vehicles. I've encountered instances where lack of space meant removing the entire front bumper so that the light unit could be taken out to be worked on.

Wasn't it a Megane that necessitated jacking the car and removing a front wheel to access the back of the light via a wheelarch flap?
Pretty much the case on the pre-face lift w212 in my experience. I find it quicker and easier to do just this and it means I don't cut my hands to shreds going in from the top.

Halfords used to fit bulbs for a fiver.

S204 sidelight/parking light bulbs you need gynaeocologist hands, R171 SLK headlight bulbs wheel off and wheelarch liner released - I've changed headlight bulbs on the S204 but have to bluetack an inspection mirror in place plus head torch to see what I'm doing!

My car has no bulbs to change at all. The disadvantage is that one needs deep pockets at the point something fails be it headlights or interior lights.

G Wagen you have to remove the entire headlight (was designed in the 70s mind you).

I wouldn't trust Halfords to empty the ash tray
[and I'm a non-smoker]
I've used them, 350 miles from home, it's dark and raining and a bulb has gone, it wasn't a difficult decision.

I would imagine that the average Halfords bulb changing monkey has done more of these than the average MB driver.

Prior to discovering the joys of MB ownership, I ran for 10 years a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 litre TD.
These have a small side light at the front corners.
To change the bulb, it was necessary to remove a trim panel and then the remove the lamp unit to get at the bulb.
The lamp unit was fastened to the metalwork with two tiny posidrive screws.
[At least they weren't tiny torx screws]
These rusted themselves into place so tightly that they sheared off when you tried to remove them.
First one side (Bad language) then a year or so later, the other side (even worse language).
What can you say about the "engineers" who produce this nonsense ?

Ford Ka was like that.

I don't understand why the breakdown (roadside assistance) companies won't change bulbs - if you're away from home and bulb goes it renders the car unroadworthy.

Halfords won't change them if access is tricky, and I've seen a few reports of headlamp bulbs not being seated correctly.

Though I haven’t done it (yet), the headlamp bulbs on my MX5 are supposed to be a right pain to change. Either front bumper off or inner wing liner out and wheel off apparently.

R172 SLK is similar. Remove wheel and wheel arch liner to access rear of headlamp cluster.

One of the ILS cornering lights failed on Angie’s SLK55 as I was driving home from the MB dealer where it had just been serviced. Complete coincidence, but I thought it worth going back and acting dumb and asking if they could change it.

Almost two-and-a-half hours later, and having replaced part of the headlamp cluster that they broke attempting to get the bulb out and then having several attempts at re-coding the replacement so that the ILS still worked (ultimately successful), I was given a profuse apology for the time taken and told that there would be no charge. Not even for the bulb.

Remembering one of my past Vauxhall Omegas (again , sorry !). It was the first one 'old shape' Elite estate. because it was never designed to have the straight six BMW Diesel engine in it that GM did fit for this model it had to have a bigger battery to run the glowplugs etc (thats what I was told anyway)

Changing the left headlamp bulb meant taking the very heavy battery out of the engine bay first (ask me how I know) Doesn't sound like such a big deal compared to some of the shenanigans that have to take place for even the basic jobs to be completed on modern cars , but it was a big deal in the 1990's when cars were more simple to work on.

Never understood why some car makers make it so difficult. My old S40 had a simple retaining pin, pull it out and the headlight simply slid forward and out making it an easier change.

LED headlights name it even simpler in their with nothing to change but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom