Sinclair Mercedes Cardiff - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
My 21 year old son bought a 2 year old A Class from Sinclair Cardiff very recently. A 260 mile round trip! We expected the car to have been checked and any issues (hopefully minor) fixed. Buying from a main dealer, we expected no surprises! We were WRONG!

We were ushered into the showroom at 11.00 am having been told to turn up promptly or we would have to wait.

We did all the paperwork and told Paul (salesman) that we noticed some scratches. These were polished out but I was surprised to see that they had not spotted and fixed these prior to us collecting the car. All good so far and a very chatty friendly Paul.

My son was handed the keys and we opened the door and saw the interior for the first time having only looked through the frosted windows quickly when we arrived. Have a look at the attached photo. We were both shocked at this damage to the steering wheel surround. We called Paul back out and his attitude was appalling and he was very rude.

Basically, he said its a used car what did we expect. there would always be minor issues (sic). He said that they would not fix it! Then he said he was prepared to cancel the sale. As my son had spent a month looking for a car with certain features this was something my son didn't want to do. No matter what we said he just didn't care. Within a few minutes of making the sale, they didn't care. What a poor attitude!!

Paul eventually said he would ask his manager of they would pay for the repair. My son got a phone call later, saying they would not!

Yes my son was a little naive in not checking the car out. All he wanted to do was drive his dream car away. I cannot blame him for that. I would never expect any car dealer, let alone a Mercedes-Benz main dealer to sell a car with such a fault!

AVOID SINCLAIR MERCEDES GROUP if I was you.

Attachments

• image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 241
I'm sad to say this is nothing new. I have had the same from my local MB dealership as well, this was 5 years ago! Approved used isn't worth the paper it's written on, I had multiple faults on the car despite a fully signed off vehicle check list.

Have you expressed your concerns in writing to the sales manager ??
Put everything in writing to them outlining the extensive damage. Then contact mb customer services and complain but you also have the option to return the car ??

Had the same when i bought my CLS from MB Giffnock. An approved used car that was ready to go with a (bare metal) scratch on the drivers door , sunscreen hand prints on the rear quarter.

Both the above were repaired prior to collection but should have been dealt with on their pre-sale inspection , as per their sales blurb. I very much doubt if i hadn`t picked them up then the dealer would have just left them.

RE your boys car ,just get the trim replaced and let him enjoy his new toy as there is no point getting worked up about it (although it is hard not to) . Just dont give them anymore of your £££ and write a letter to the dealer principle or head office regarding the salemans attitude , if it makes you feel better but it will probably end up with the rest of the spam , in the recycle bin.

Even the video some garages send you when buying a car "remotely" is of such poor quality that you would struggle to identify what make it is , never mind being able to pick out any minor defects.

We had a similar thing with a car my wife was looking at , they repaired a blemish on the bumper (badly as it was painted outside ) and we rejected the vehicle after being assured by around three salesmen that it would be re-done. When their boss appeared i told him that whoever made a mess of the paint has just cost him £15k , which is the only language they actually understand - £££££.

K

Last edited:
It sounds like your experience from start to finish was appalling and I’m sure no sane person could defend it.

The most frustrating part is the obstinate attitude of the salesman, he’s turned what should have been a “sorry sir, we’ll find a solution to make you happy with your purchase” into a “wadda ya expect, schmuck?” and it’s caused 1000 times the damage.

Sorry but I would have cancelled the sale there and then. This experience is becoming common place and it is because people are prepared to accept it.
Ironically people still wish to buy cars from garages for their peace of mind and warranty :wallbash:

Lesson learned. Always check a car out BEFORE handing over the readies. Even go as far as pay an independent mechanic to inspect the car or take along a mechanic friend. That goes for anyone, be it a main or back street dealer. That said, the dealer's attitude is wrong.

The problem is just the ‘scorpion and frog’ thing. There are too many of us frogs out there that keep getting stung (I include myself in that, I’m pathetically naive as both buyer and seller). I loathe sales people.

The attitude you have described is not good enough, however if you were not happy with the car or the way the sale was handled then you could have made that clear at the time, which if not resolved then would end-up with cancelling the deal.

The service is not good enough, but your son chose not to inspect the car in advance or upon arrival, and subsequently accepted the car after the two issues were identified and not fully resolved. There was plenty of opportunities to stop proceedings.

Sorry if you feel that’s brutal but that’s an objective review of the scenario you have described. Very frustrating I’m sure, but by accepting it without agreed resolution you have ultimately accepted it which reduces your leverage with the dealer.

Like leaving a restaurant dissatisfied with the food or service, without mentioning it, and then emailing head office. By accepting the food/service it just have been acceptable, and not mentioning it prevents the restaurant remedying the issue.

Like I say, apologies if that’s not what you want to hear. Wishing you and your son the best in resolving the issue, but most importantly don’t let it sour the purchase of a dream car - those opportunities are too few in life, so don’t let it be ruined 👍🏻

The attitude you have described is not good enough, however if you were not happy with the car or the way the sale was handled then you could have made that clear at the time, which if not resolved then would end-up with cancelling the deal.

The service is not good enough, but your son chose not to inspect the car in advance or upon arrival, and subsequently accepted the car after the two issues were identified and not fully resolved. There was plenty of opportunities to stop proceedings.

Sorry if you feel that’s brutal but that’s an objective review of the scenario you have described. Very frustrating I’m sure, but by accepting it without agreed resolution you have ultimately accepted it which reduces your leverage with the dealer.

Like leaving a restaurant dissatisfied with the food or service, without mentioning it, and then emailing head office. By accepting the food/service it just have been acceptable, and not mentioning it prevents the restaurant remedying the issue.

Like I say, apologies if that’s not what you want to hear. Wishing you and your son the best in resolving the issue, but most importantly don’t let it sour the purchase of a dream car - those opportunities are too few in life, so don’t let it be ruined 👍🏻
Tell that to a 21 year old who has set his sights on a car after dreaming about buying a car for 6 months while finishing Uni and landing a well paid job because he studied hard at UNI? Thanks for your apologies - I accept! My son overlooked that defect because it was a dream car and has moved on. But I am still incensed.

If that was me, I’d be sending a letter to MBUK to let them know how one of their dealers was behaving. That’s disgraceful.
I have contacted them with zero expectations and they have "lived up to them". they have merely referred the issue back to the dealer. JOKERS

Lesson learned. Always check a car out BEFORE handing over the readies. Even go as far as pay an independent mechanic to inspect the car or take along a mechanic friend. That goes for anyone, be it a main or back street dealer. That said, the dealer's attitude is wrong.
We trusted the brand name! yes it was a big mistake. It's the attitude that I want to make people aware of. I can buy and fit the replacement part myself. It's being treated like s***, that isn't on! And it's quite an easy fix.

I always believe in giving any seller the chance to rectify a mistake. Whether it was done on purpose or not (selling with known damage), they should put it right. Personally, it's an A class and you should be able to find another one. I would

1. Send it back and cancel the sale. If anything else goes wrong in the warranty period, you have no chance of getting it repaired
2. Complain to MB UK just to annoy them
3. Put it on social media. They've had their chance and their attitude stinks. They deserve any bad reviews they get

This will only make it harder to validate a car pre-purchase and reject it.

I will never use a "delivered to your door" service like Cazoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom