Sinclair Mercedes Cardiff - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dealer experience means a lot. I bought my current C350 brand new because of it. I’d gone into the dealership (MB Peterborough) several months beforehand when I happened to be passing on my way home after getting my CLK230K MoT done. I was wandering around looking at the used cars but didn’t see anything that interested me, so I popped into the showroom to have a look around the new car models, with absolutely no intention of buying.

A salesman asked me if I needed any help and I explained that I was just browsing on my way home from getting an MoT. He asked why I didn’t get them to do it and I told him that I got a good discount elsewhere. He told me that they would beat any Peterborough price for my next MoT. I jokingly asked if that applied to my Porsche too. He said yes. A few months later they did my Porsche MoT cheaper than anywhere else, whilst I had a coffee and idly browsed through a selection of new car brochures.

That was where I discovered the face-lifted C350 petrol that looked like just what I wanted, albeit expensive. I went over to a salesman (not the one I’d seen before) to ask him about it and ended up going home with a brochure and price list without having to endure any heavy sales pitch. I decided exactly what I wanted in the way of options then popped back to talk about colours and discounts, then ordered it.

That was 8 years ago. Nearly every year when I go back there for the service and MoT (still at the good price) that same salesman spots me and asks how things are. He remembers me and he cares. It’s fairly certain that I’ll be buying my next car from there.
A great experience that proves its purely down to the dealership and not the brand. There’s good and bad within all car marques. MB of Carlisle (closest to me) seems to have a fantastic fan base locally. Shame they had no used cars that took my fancy at the time I was looking.

While I agree the experience could have been much better, a second hand car was offered for sale in whatever condition it was in and your son bought it in that condition. He (and you) could have inspected it beforehand but neither of you did. Indeed, from your post it seems the condition of the steering wheel surround was revealed by opening a door. Why was this not done before?

Yes, you had a bad experience but I'm with the dazzler on this.

I think the problem comes from blurb like this:

Purchasing Mercedes Approved Used Cars from Sinclair in South Wales guarantees the same quality and customer satisfaction that you would normally only associate with acquiring a brand new Mercedes-Benz.

15-20 years ago our experience of buying a MB AU car was that the car would probably be immaculate. At various times MB have given the impression that buying AU from them meets these sorts of expectations. However I think over years many of us have realised that the standards are variable and sometimes shoddy.

Yes the OP should have checked the car properly. But let's be clear here - as described the situation should (a) never have arisen and (b) should have been resolved to the customers' satisfaction on the spot and (c) makes a mockery of the dealer's own statement quoted above.

I think the problem comes from blurb like this:

Purchasing Mercedes Approved Used Cars from Sinclair in South Wales guarantees the same quality and customer satisfaction that you would normally only associate with acquiring a brand new Mercedes-Benz.
As much as people have tried to throw this back into the OP’s court, the bit underlined is the money shot - they’re saying their used cars will be the same quality as brand new; how can anyone defend them when these are their own words?!

As much as people have tried to throw this back into the OP’s court, the bit underlined is the money shot - they’re saying their used cars will be the same quality as brand new; how can anyone defend them when these are their own words?!
Plus MB’s biggest problem is there are now plenty of large, incredibly capable companies out there who are selling high value cars, beautifully prepared to the highest standards and marketed extremely profesionally and only too happy to compete with Main Dealerships and take their business. MB‘s mantra, like other MD’s is slipping. Otherwise these new guys wouldn’t be there.
A perfect example for me is Auto100 | Quality Prestige Car Sales, located in Nottinghamshire

Plus MB’s biggest problem is there are now plenty of large, incredibly capable companies out there who are selling high value cars, beautifully prepared to the highest standards and marketed extremely profesionally and only too happy to compete with Main Dealerships and take their business. MB‘s mantra, like other MD’s is slipping. Otherwise these new guys wouldn’t be there.
A perfect example for me is Auto100 | Quality Prestige Car Sales, located in Nottinghamshire
Indeed, I’ll certainly not be going out of my way to buy used approved in the future. I paid above & beyond expecting a premium vehicle & experience but IMO it’s been no better than an indie dealer purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
My CLK was approved used. I did view it before purchasing. And it did check out. But I subsequently realised the bonnet had had a very poor repaint and there were some other niggles. I took it on the chin and a couple of years ago the bonnet suffered some vandalism and I took the chance to have it properly resprayed. It is now pretty much spot on.

Would I ever buy an approved used MB again over a non-approved? Nope. Waste of time. Just find the best you can no matter where you source it. The MB approved scheme is a waste of time imho.

Well, they’re not lying........ they are probably providing the same 'great' service whether you are buying old or new.

Well, they’re not lying........ they are probably providing the same 'great' service whether you are buying old or new.
You might be on to something there; they don’t actually say whether the “quality and customer satisfaction” are actually any good..! 😂

As a former boss of mine used to say, “quality is not an absolute”.

I bought an E350 cab from them about 4 years ago. It was a nice car but needed two front tyres.

As I am fussy with tyres, I confirmed they would be Contis to match. They agreed. When I picked the car up I didn't inspect the tyres as it was pouring down, but when I stopped at a service station on my way home I noticed they had fitted some cheap, unknown make, Chinese ditchfinders. After several emails back and forward they agreed to contribute some money to the cost of changing, which I did.

It would have been nice if they hadn't presented me with this hassle in the first place!

So, the moral of the story is always do a final check before you pay and drive off - raining or not!

I’ve had abysmal customer service and service work from MB Cardiff, as well as the lack of knowledge of the staff there, and lack of accountability when you have terrible customer service or terrible quality of work. They charged me money to fix things that and actually made them worse.

MBUK HQ were actually more rude to me and worse. The people on the phone that are nice have no authority to fix anything. The ‘final’ person you speak to will be so rude and basically tell you to go ***k yourself.

Yes you should have looked closer and probably rejected the car based on the attitude of the salesperson, but I’m really sorry that you/your son had a crap experience

Please, just don’t give them more money for the overpriced service plan. Maybe a MB center if you wanted to sick with a dealer - just not Cardiff... please!

Never, ever, accept poor quality from anyone. What you need is waiting for you somewhere else.

Bought 3 cars from the south coast. A big thing for me is door dings. I ensured salesman was aware of this when I was buying Ibiza for my daughter. I wanted no marks. On exiting taxi, first thing I noticed was 3 dings. My daughter agreed she would not buy the car. The Seat MD Business Manager took over and committed to have the car sorted at their Porsche branch in Glasgow. That commitment allowed us to take the car with confidence. Dings removed within two weeks.

A salesman is only your friend until you drive off the lot.

Me too R129 from a main dealer fifteen years ago . On pick up key wouldnt turn in the ignition, heating and aircon not working and the hood that i was assured was blue was in fact black (they didnt want to take the hard top off I guess.,. just because its a MB main dealer doesnt mean you should not take all the same precautions you would with a Dodgy Daves Motors forecourt. ( with apologies to Dave) Laughably they said the ignition switch was not covered by the MB used warranty. So under MB official used they can sell you a car that you cant drive because you cant start it. Eventually after much back and forth they paid for the ignition and a replacement blue hood but the problem for trust is that they tried not to.

Me too R129 from a main dealer fifteen years ago . On pick up key wouldnt turn in the ignition, heating and aircon not working and the hood that i was assured was blue was in fact black (they didnt want to take the hard top off I guess.,. just because its a MB main dealer doesnt mean you should not take all the same precautions you would with a Dodgy Daves Motors forecourt. ( with apologies to Dave) Laughably they said the ignition switch was not covered by the MB used warranty. So under MB official used they can sell you a car that you cant drive because you cant start it. Eventually after much back and forth they paid for the ignition and a replacement blue hood but the problem for trust is that they tried not to.
Blimey I bet a new hood wasn’t cheap 😳

Dealer experience means a lot. I bought my current C350 brand new because of it. I’d gone into the dealership (MB Peterborough) several months beforehand when I happened to be passing on my way home after getting my CLK230K MoT done. I was wandering around looking at the used cars but didn’t see anything that interested me, so I popped into the showroom to have a look around the new car models, with absolutely no intention of buying.

A salesman asked me if I needed any help and I explained that I was just browsing on my way home from getting an MoT. He asked why I didn’t get them to do it and I told him that I got a good discount elsewhere. He told me that they would beat any Peterborough price for my next MoT. I jokingly asked if that applied to my Porsche too. He said yes. A few months later they did my Porsche MoT cheaper than anywhere else, whilst I had a coffee and idly browsed through a selection of new car brochures.

That was where I discovered the face-lifted C350 petrol that looked like just what I wanted, albeit expensive. I went over to a salesman (not the one I’d seen before) to ask him about it and ended up going home with a brochure and price list without having to endure any heavy sales pitch. I decided exactly what I wanted in the way of options then popped back to talk about colours and discounts, then ordered it.

That was 8 years ago. Nearly every year when I go back there for the service and MoT (still at the good price) that same salesman spots me and asks how things are. He remembers me and he cares. It’s fairly certain that I’ll be buying my next car from there.
Recently had the complete opposite experience.
About 2 months ago the SLK was in for a service & MOT. I told the service guy that we would soon be looking to buy an SUV (GLC or GLE) and would it be possible to borrow one for the day when the E Class comes in for a service. He said that it was possible but I would have to coordinate that with the sales team.
When the E class was due a service & MOT I phoned to book about 1 month before it was due. Asked for a loan car which they usually provide free of charge with customers on service plans. Sorry sir, due to coronavirus we are experiencing high demand and do not have one available until after your MOT expires.
So I phoned sales and was put through to the salesman who sold us the E Class 4 years earlier. He didn't remember us even though we have dealt with him several times. I explained that we were looking for a GLC or GLE and could we borrow one for the day when the E Class is in for service. No that is not possible was the short reply.
We would like to trade in the SLK & E Class so I asked him for valuations. I gave him full details of both cars and told him that the SLK had been in recently for service & the service guys would vouch for it's immaculate condition. The E Class would be in for service in a month and he could inspect it then if he wished.
Told him our budget for the SUV. He said that he was unable to do anything that day but would phone back the following day.
5 weeks on I'm still waiting for that call.
They obviously don't care.
When collecting the E Class I had a call 15 minutes before they closed to tell me it was ready - we live 25 minutes away. So I had to collect the following morning. I was handed the sanitised keys and told that the car was in the customer car park at the front. I searched the car park twice then walked round to the back of the building where I found the car. The drivers door window was open about 30mm and had been all night. There were leaves on the seat. There were paper mats on the floor & a plastic cover over the seat. The window would not close correctly. So I went back into service reception & they sent a technician out who mumbled an apology and re-set the window.
Having owned Mercedes cars for about 15 years out of the last 20 years, we are now looking at a BMW X3.

Maybe look at another dealer?

Sorry to say this,, but you view a any car with a fine tooth comb ,,even go there three or 4 times to check it over ,, things you see the second time around you dont spot them on the first visit ,, and any problem or faults you see you ask the seler to fix them . He might say no, then walk away .No good asking on the day everything is done and dusted and finalised . Its not fair to blame or slag off the vendor for ones mistakes . I know how your son felt on the day he was too pick up his new pride and joy. I have been there ,and all the items i asked for minor items to be fixed .And not one of them had been done . But i was young and just wanted to drive it home ,They said leave it and they would do the work . I just wanted to drive it home even though nothing was done, .He knew i would just take it as it was .

I think the experience is more granular than the dealership even.

I find it is down to the individuals working there.

You notice this if personnel change and the quality of individuals you deal with varies.

My expectations on cars are set on the age of the car i.e. I don't expect a 6 year old car to be new-car mint but I would expect a 2 year old car to be a lot closer to it.

Maybe look at another dealer?
So, I tried that.
Visited the next nearest dealership who had a high spec GLE for about £29k. Took the car for a test drive and thought we would buy. Had our cars previously valued on webuyanycar.com so had an idea of their value.
As our cars are immaculate with recent service & mot, recently refurbed wheels & new tyres there was nothing to down value them.
So with the wbac.com valuation & £250 off their car I thought we could hand over our keys & £14k.
They offered 2k lower than wbac.com and nothing off their car.
Salesman said he would speak to his boss the next day.
So the following day he phoned & increased the value of our SLK by £250 and asked if we wanted to do the deal at our cars + £16k. I said no. He asked where we wanted to be and I said our cars + £14k. He then asked if there was any middle ground near to his offer. I said no thanks. He said he would be in touch when similar GLE’s became available but I haven’t heard from him again in the last 4 weeks.

i tried contacting JBD on here with a pm (his dealership is part of the same group mentioned above). Asked for his help to locate a suitable GLE and fully described our cars full spec & condition. That was about a month ago and so far no reply.

So it seems Mercedes Benz have little interest In selling a used car to me.
Trying another dealer looks like trying another manufacture.

We visited Saxton 4x4 in Chelmsford to view their 800+ car stock to help us narrow our search. We had many years ago tried BMW’s but were underwhelmed.
Sat in an X5 and an X3 and were impressed.
Came home & the following day visited the local BMW dealership to test drive an X3. Suitably impressed we are now looking for a top spec X3 within our budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom