Singapore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
So, summer holiday booked to go to Singapore (Grand Mercure Roxy) for 1 night. Followed by an all inclusive (except drinks & tips) 5 night cruise up the Malaysian coast as far as Phuket then back to the Grand Mercure Roxy for 3 nights with tickets for practice night, qualifying night & the race night of the Singapore GP.

The stays at the Grand Mercure Roxy are room only so we need to sort breakfast, lunch & evening meal in Singapore as well as daytime "entertainment".

Daytime entertainment could be lounging around the pool, the beach or other sight seeing.

Meals - dining on the cruise will likely be a grand affair every day so in Singapore I would rather try to sample the local cuisine, either as street food or where the locals eat.

I know nothing of the area so would appreciate advice from anyone who has knowledge of Singapore.

Thanks in advance:thumb:

I can't offer any knowledge at all but I can tell you I'm green with envy.

Sounds a dream holiday Piff. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Good on ya fella. :thumb:

Only been there once and that was on business (media engagement event over the GP weekend in 2011). Didn't get any 'real' experience of what I would consider to be local cuisine. Had a very nice meal at Raffles Steak Bar plus the obligatory Singapore Sling, and an excellent lunch in the restaurant on top of the Pan Pacific (which is where I stayed).

I'm told that the infinity pool on top of the Marina Sands Hotel is worth the effort, but didn't get the opportunity to go myself. There is also the Singapore Flyer (like the London Eye, but bigger I think), again didn't go on it myself though did stand next to it.

Not sure what access you'll have wandering about on foot due to the GP circuit. On the day after the GP, I had a walk along part of the circuit which was interesting. Sit on the track and get a driver's eye view. They have very large spherical objects in their trousers!

Have fun!

Hopefully someone with more local knowledge will chime in.

This is one of the places on Earth I'd like to go, even if only to see the Gardens by The Bay and meet the families of otters that live in the Bay area:-

TheGardens-Introduction-01-1670x940.jpg

otter1.jpg

Link to the holiday please - wife and I were in Singapore in late 1974 and it's on her bucket list for a place to revisit - and adding a cruise and the GP sounds like heaven for her (cruise) and me(GP). PM me if you don't want to post it!

You can go to the Gardens by the Bay in Marina Bay. This is where they filmed the last Hitman film. The race is held in town so you can visit places like Raffles Hotel and go to the Long Bar for a Singapore Sling. There's also Lau Pa Sar to savour local food.

There's a Blues pub in Armenian Street and Old Parliament Road near the Cricket club. This is near the old Supreme Court Building which is where the Japanese surrendered to Allied Forces led by Lord Mountbatten. Visit Orchard Road and walk around the Central Business District. There is also the Sands Hotel with its unique architecture at Marina Bay. I am not sure what you like to see but there are quite a few Colonial buildings in the general area.

We gooutevery 18 months as my wifes dad lives there. Only stayed in one hotrlbut standards out there are very high.
As already been said orchard road is very good but it's all about the shopping. Boat quay and clarke quay are full of restaurants and make an interesting night out. Seeing the marina bay sands hotel is a must and they do a great light show from there out onto the river every evening. I can't remember the names but there are some very nice bars on the opposite bank to watch it from.
If your interested a big thing to do out there is to go to the long bar at raffles hotel for the singapore slings.
The Fullerton hotel is worth a visit as well as much just to see the array of cars parked out side.
We went to the first singapore grand prix as we got 3 day tickets for £60. Guess it's a bit dearer than that now.

Forgot to say, if you like a beer be prepared to pay at least £8 and at least £10 for a glass of wine

Marina Bay is a must. Walk across the Helix Bridge to the Sands during the day and in the evening for different experiences. The free hologram light shows on the bay in the evening are spectacular and best viewed from the waterfront outside the Sands. Lots of excellent eateries at The Esplanade on the promenade just south of Raffles Ave. (Best to reserve a table because the best places are always busy.). It's a short walk from there across the bridge to the Fullerton.

Unless you're a shopaholic, give Orchard Road a miss. Could be shops anywhere in the world and many are complete rip-offs preying on tourists.

The best thing to do is explore. Look for what interests you.

Singapore Flyer is second tallest in the world 165m. Very spectacular you can even have dinner organized there on the run.
Singapore zoo, Botanic garden(Free admission) and night safari, China town, little India, Santosa Island with Aquarium and Universal studios
A lot of shops around. Get umbrella for rain and sun and enjoy your stay

I think I saw this trip advertised somewhere - did it come with the AutoExpress subscription or something? Looked a good trip, enjoy!

Wonder if Boogie Street and the nightly parade of stunning looking "women" (with adams apples...) still happens. Amusing memory from 1974.

Wonder if Boogie Street and the nightly parade of stunning looking "women" (with adams apples...) still happens. Amusing memory from 1974.

Never seen that one but you have the four floors of whores just above Harry's bar off orchard road. Never been in but see some odd and interesting sights sitting in Harry's bar.

Orchard Towers down Orchard Road - otherwise known as '4 floors of whores'!!! No idea why :dk::dk:

The Boogie street parade was not whores, but trannies dolled up to the nines mainly in evening dress, high heels, full make-up, and were it not for the adams apples and low pitched voices you'd have sworn it was a Miss World or Miss Universe parade. Mind you, I did hear stories about men getting a surprise in the taxi headed for a hotel when the found the "young lady" had unexpected "equipment"!!

Link to the holiday please - wife and I were in Singapore in late 1974 and it's on her bucket list for a place to revisit - and adding a cruise and the GP sounds like heaven for her (cruise) and me(GP). PM me if you don't want to post it!

This is their latest package (ours is actually 9 nights so a slightly different itinerary)

I think I saw this trip advertised somewhere - did it come with the AutoExpress subscription or something? Looked a good trip, enjoy!

They advertise every week in the Mail on Sunday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom