Single click turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Wonder if anyone can help ... 2007 CLS makes a single click noise when going around corners (up to 30mph).To confuse things, I think it sounds metallic, indy thinks it sound like plastic.

Had it in to my indy who can find nothing wrong, says everything is tight as a drum. Car drives spot on with no issues.

Its bugging the life out of me, the Mrs says turn the radio up, but id still know it was there.

Could be cracked rubber in one of the suspension bushes... enough to allow brief metal on metal contact under heavy load.

Sadly very difficult to diagnose, as the cracks can sometimes only be seen with the bush removed, and a crowbar does not always produce sufficient force to replicate the issue.

Forgot to say it doesn't happen all the time... some days nothing other days you can sit stationary moving the wheel side to side listening to it click

Not lock to lock ... i 'rock' the steering wheel side to side and you cam hear it click then 'click back'

OK. Might be another bush then - but same principle apply.

The bushing/seal where the steering column goes through the bulkhead?

The bushing/seal where the steering column goes through the bulkhead?

This was my thought, to be fair to the mechanic it was difficult for him to pinpoint the noise with it coming and going.

Ive read this is a cheap enough job and may just ask them to change it. (I intend keeping the car a while so even if it isn't what is making the noise ill consider it an investment of sorts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom