single mass conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stillhere

Car
vito camper
Hello all,
newbie and first post on here so bear with me please.
I have newly acquired a 2003 vito 110 cdi and have had the flywheel diagnosed as on the way out (clattering noise and slight tremble on clutch pedal).
Can anyone advise me please as to cost of parts and labour in converting to a single mass flywheel/clutch assembly,
Many thanks....Mike

I thought I read somewhere doing this would lead to horrendous vibration?

I thought I read somewhere doing this would lead to horrendous vibration?

And damage to cranks and bell housing I was led to believe, unless the harmonic balancer was retuned?

Regarding costs I can't be very helpful with figures, but I know with Transits the single mass was usually £100+ more than the dual mass, plus another few hours labour to get it all set up correctly and damped.

^ totally agree a lot of BS talked on this subject one of the major motor factors do a conversion kit can't remember if it's ECP or GSF?

Valeo, for one, make a kit. There's lots of info on this on the Superturbodiesel forum.

You sure? I've been trying to get one for my vito.

Valeo, for one, make a kit. There's lots of info on this on the Superturbodiesel forum.

The valeo kit is very good, it's also the only one I have found for the merc cdi engines that has provision for the spigot bearing.

Thanks for your comments.
After trawling the internet, and reading horror stories about cheap (inexpensive units), i have decided to go with the "valeo solid mass conversion kit".
To the best of my knowledge at the moment this will cost approx £350.and possibly more if it needs a new slave cylinder.
Will speak to the mechanic later today to get labour costs, and update this post for anyone thinking of going down this route.

Word of warning...I converted a Ford Galaxy to solid flywheel and it was terrible. At low speeds ie shifting from 1st into 2nd the vibration/general lack of refinement was bad, ie exactly when a dual mass flywheel is working at its hardest absorbing vibration. Used a good quality LUK clutch conversion.

Wish I had never done it and with the price of dual mass flywheels now much lower, I would never consider it again. Just my opinion.

Just got the vito back now.....new single mass flywheel , clutch etc from valeo.
Total cost including labour £610.
All seems well. and no undue noises or vibrations.

Next on the list now which i was going to attempt myself is the offside electric window which is still working from the switch but needs to be physically assisted to rise by a push upwards from my hand or it stops mid cycle.
Found an excellent youtube video but unfortunately it is for the 639 and mine is a 638 and the mechanism is different. so struggling for visual help.(anyone help) please.

found the answer to offside front window not working.
On my vito2003 110 cdi model the door has a single central vertical stationary bar which in turn has a horizontal bar which has the window glass attached and which moves up and down .
Long story short the two nylon brackets which attach to the glass were broken and were duly ordered and picked up next day from mb chester, for less than extortionate price of £3-80.
Did not come with plastic pins which attach them to glass so i purchased two thin plastic number plate nuts and bolts and used these instead cost £1.
Final purchase was a packet of 1 inch x 1/4 inch metal bolts to fix nylon brackets to horizontal arm,needed 2 but bought full packet of 10.....£2-49 at b&q.
who said mercedes were expensive to repair!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom