Single speeding FPN adds HOW MUCH to insurance renewal?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Came to renew Mrs BTB's insurance on the C Class today. Renewal quote was £275, but she'd picked up a speeding fixed penalty last November (first one ever), so I phoned to declare that first. No other changes ... advised that the renewal would now be a little over £400 :eek: The best they would do after some haggling was £360.

Luckily I'd done my homework and already had a quote of £282 from LV (with the FPN declared of course), so went with that instead. I'm sure I remember an insurance 'guideline' that a single 3-point speeding conviction would be recorded for information only, with no effect on the premium? Times have obviously changed!

Not criticising the op but can anyone clarify whether spending fpn's need to be declared straight away to insurance companies?

Might it have been cheaper if you had advised them at the time of the offence, which most policies require under the "notifying any changes" clause

Not criticising the op but can anyone clarify whether spending fpn's need to be declared straight away to insurance companies?

Might it have been cheaper if you had advised them at the time of the offence, which most policies require under the "notifying any changes" clause

It depends of course on the specific T&Cs of your policy, but most companies only require disclosure on initial application or renewal. Many have FAQs nowadays to cover common questions like this e.g.

Things you need to tell your insurer at renewal
Some things can wait until it's time to renew your policy.

1. Penalty points

If you or any named drivers receive a fixed penalty, motoring conviction or are disqualified during your policy term you must tell your insurer at renewal, using the DVLA conviction code. You must also declare attending any driver awareness courses. You don't need to mention parking fines.

Came to renew Mrs BTB's insurance on the C Class today. Renewal quote was £275, but she'd picked up a speeding fixed penalty last November (first one ever), so I phoned to declare that first. No other changes ... advised that the renewal would now be a little over £400 :eek: The best they would do after some haggling was £360.

Luckily I'd done my homework and already had a quote of £282 from LV (with the FPN declared of course), so went with that instead. I'm sure I remember an insurance 'guideline' that a single 3-point speeding conviction would be recorded for information only, with no effect on the premium? Times have obviously changed!
£282 with LV sounds good. I've just renewed our C-class with them at £324 after it was £283 last year. I suppose the difference could be that it's a C350 and Mrs KE did have to make a claim in 2018. (So much for protected NCB!)

If you or any named drivers receive a fixed penalty, motoring conviction or are disqualified during your policy term you must tell your insurer at renewal
Surely if you're the policy holder and get disqualified the policy terminates automatically?

Reactions: LXA
(So much for protected NCB!)

With protected NCD you retain the same discount percentage, but the policy itself (before discount) will have gone up as the result of the claim so you may well end up paying more. You need to look quite hard at whether PNCD is worthwhile for you as it depends on your current discount and how many claims you are likely to make in a year. Typical figures:

Capture.JPG

So if you are on 9 years NCD you are getting 80% discount. A single claim would drop you to 4 years NCD, which is 72%. So you are paying extra to protect just 8% of NCD. Even if you make 2 claims in a year you will only lose 15% of NCD (from 80% to 65%). YMMV :)

Surely if you're the policy holder and get disqualified the policy terminates automatically?

Why should it? If you can no longer drive the car that's an advantage for the insurer (less risk). And the chance of it being stolen etc. isn't affected by you being banned.

It depends of course on the specific T&Cs of your policy, but most companies only require disclosure on initial application or renewal. Many have FAQs nowadays to cover common questions like this e.g.

Things you need to tell your insurer at renewal
Some things can wait until it's time to renew your policy.

1. Penalty points

If you or any named drivers receive a fixed penalty, motoring conviction or are disqualified during your policy term you must tell your insurer at renewal, using the DVLA conviction code. You must also declare attending any driver awareness courses. You don't need to mention parking fines.

You do not have to tell them about driver awareness courses by law.
It's another insurance scam to catch you out so you pay more.
You take the course to make you a better and safer driver, in theory your premium should go down, but it wont as they class it as a speeding offence.
The insurance databases have no way of finding out if you've been on a course, that's why they ask you to admit it.
I've been on several courses over a few years, and had accidents when they would have shown up on the licence, there was never any issue.

You do not have to tell them about driver awareness courses by law.
It's another insurance scam to catch you out so you pay more.
You take the course to make you a better and safer driver, in theory your premium should go down, but it wont as they class it as a speeding offence.
The insurance databases have no way of finding out if you've been on a course, that's why they ask you to admit it.
I've been on several courses over a few years, and had accidents when they would have shown up on the licence, there was never any issue.

It rather depends on whether they ask you or not.

They aren't allowed to ask you.
They used to ask you, now they dont as they know they can't.

Insurance companies can kiss my @$$, im 49 with 30 years no claims and my E350 is £535 fully comp with NO windscreen cover, not so long ago i was insuring a 400bhp skyline for £260 fully comp, i hate insurance companies, their prices are just ridiculous

Are you sure about that? The Admiral text I posted is only a few months old. AFAIK some companies do ask about speed awareness courses, and others (LV, for example) don't. I'd have thought they could ask about anything they consider to be a risk factor. You're not obliged to answer - you're free to use whatever insurance company you like. Checking the two biggest market comparison sites:

GoCompare:

If your insurer asks whether you've attended a course, you have to tell them - but not many ask

Comparethemarket:

Will a speed awareness course impact my car insurance?
A speed awareness course is not classed as a driving conviction, and as you will avoid penalty points, your licence will remain clean.

However, some car insurance providers may raise your premium as they consider the fact that you were speeding a risk.

On the other hand, some insurance providers may take a positive approach to the additional education and driving skills you’ve obtained, so it’s always advisable to tell them if you’ve attended a speed awareness course.

Apparently, overall car insurance has increased an average 6% in the last year, but your price is way beyond that;
it's a mistake in my opinion, not to get alternative quotes to counter them with starting a few weeks/days before renewal, as simply accepting their first offer, is very, very rarely in your best interest.

Did you mean my price Oldbarrack??

In your opinion(s) should a dash cam reduce your premium?

Are you sure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom