Sir David Beckham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1945wickedred

Car
Mercedes SL350
Did I really see this headline on the front page of a major newspaper the other evening on Sky news preview.Surely this is a monumental mistake for what has this guy done to deserve such an honour,he has been rewarded handsomely for kicking a football around over the years and has accumulated a fortune for advertising anything and everything so a knighthood,please do me a favour unless his good friend DC has him lined up for this in the new year.I for one am sick of seeing him and his sad excuse for a wife in the news and on TV where,Royal Weddings,royal box Wimbledon,etc etc, will it be Strickly Come Dancing next.Knighthoods are special given to someone for exceptional achievements like Sir Steve Redgrave 5 times Olympic champion at rowing,Sir Bradley Wiggins,winner of the Tour de France and Olympic gold,so Beckham what has he done ,I rest my case.:wallbash:

so Beckham what has he done ,I rest my case.:wallbash:

I'm not a great fan of DB but I am certainly very impressed with his achievements; he was far from the best footballer in the world but he is an example that if you put your mind to something and try your best, you will do well in life. He's also made a vast fortune fortune off his own back, no-one else's, so he should also be applauded for that.

Beckham, Redgrave, Wiggins = all outstanding sportsmen.

No differentiation in my book

It basically shows that any idiot can be knighted.
What makes him (I'm assuming you mean David Beckham) an idiot?

What makes him (I'm assuming you mean David Beckham) an idiot?

You've clearly never heard him speak... :wallbash:

Or your a football fan... :fail

And you possibly think Joey Essex is the best thing since sliced bread.

Or your a football fan.

Glass houses... :rolleyes:

I didn't think academic prowess was a prerequisite of knighthood.

The man is a very effective ambassador for the UK, well-known and (generally) well-liked, has managed to keep his nose clean (the odd tabloid suggestion notwithstanding) and is a good example of a family man.

Last edited:
I've got no problems with Beckham as he's a decent role model and has done a lot for charity and his country however I'd be plenty peeved at having to call that scowling talentless bitch her Ladyship

I'm not a great fan of DB but I am certainly very impressed with his achievements; he was far from the best footballer in the world but he is an example that if you put your mind to something and try your best, you will do well in life. He's also made a vast fortune fortune off his own back, no-one else's, so he should also be applauded for that.
Agree with all of that...and I doubt he'll be like some of the chumps who were knighted and have since brought shame upon the institution.

You've clearly never heard him speak... :wallbash:

Or your a football fan... :fail

It's you're, not your.

If you are going to try and act clever, try a little bit harder next time.

And judging someone because of how they speak is plain daft.

I think it hugely deserved, and him a model for working class young men around the country. He has come from very humble beginnings to being seen as a national treasure worthy if lighting the Olympic flame. He puts in countless hours of charity work I would say on a daily basis and seems almost as morally balanced as most in out society.

In a world where peerages are given to the elite, sold for cash or favours (I note you don't pull seb Coe up on his gift from Hague) and never a young, slightly mad man that conquered his own Everest I for one am glad I see him considered.

Now hopefully he won't go down the route of pinching little boys bums and get it stripped like certain other peers.

I find you caustic post on this matter laughable really.....

Does that mean she'll be called Lady...?

Ok good comments about D B but should we really be knighting sportsmen and women when they clearly love what they do and get rewarded very well surely that is enough,we should reserve this honour for purely special people doing special things.I do not think we should give knighthoods to pop singers either,totally mad.Sir Mick,Sir Cliff,Sir Tom ,who is next Sir one Direction,I rest my case and thank you for listening.

The whole honours system in my opinion is a joke, to be honest 'they' can give whatever gong they want to whoever they want. The vast majority of recipients are merely time servers anyway, the gong goes with the grade.

Do we have to call his wife Lady Beckham? No we don't. We don't have to call anyone by their title.

Knighting decent sportsmen makes them aspirational role models to young people.

In these times of asbo's/violence and not much for youngsters to aim for, I don't have a problem with that/him.

A bit of feelgood can go a long way in shaping some people.

Knighting decent sportsmen makes them aspirational role models to young people.

In these times of asbo's/violence and not much for youngsters to aim for, I don't have a problem with that/him.

A bit of feelgood can go a long way in shaping some people.

Fair enough.

I personally don't think that Beckham has done enough. Wiggins did something exceptional. So has Andy Murray. Beckham? If he'd been in a successful world cup team then yes. But his behaviour was key to England's demise in 1998. And I think that Beckham 'the brand' was a hindrance in the 2002 and 2006 campaigns. And after Real Madrid I think he sacrificed his remaning career to 'the brand' with a rather well managed return to Europe for a final season to engineer some final career stats.

If it's down non-football activities then I'd say wait another 5 or 10 years to judge.

I can't help feeling that the current 'Sir' fuss is part of yet another branding campaign.

Beckham was an important part in winning the London 2012 Olympic bid which generated £m's for the UK economy, travelling all over the World when he could have said no.

Sir Ian Botham , a legend in his sport raised £m's for Leukemia, bring the cure rate to a threshold many thought not possible.

Sir Bobby Robson raising £m's, even after his death, for a world class cancer treatment unit in Newcastle.

Just three of the many many sportsman who devote their time, effort and name to raising funds for good causes. So if anyone wants a pop at honours' recipients try and give the Sportsmen/women a bit of a break and have a go at our Politicians who scream when they have to pay back their dodgy expenses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom