Sir Stirling Moss and this Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Remain Unbeaten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Liked it a lot but scant mention was made of the part Denis Jenkinson played. There was a brief mention of the famous "toilet roll" but little else. To put this into some sort of modern day context its best to think of Denis Jenkinson as a modern day rallye NAVIGATOR reading from PACE NOTES [ the toilet roll] At that time this was UNIQUE no other competing team had used this technique before and gave them an immense competitive advantage. It allowed Moss to drive the car to its limits and combined with car's performance made them unbeatable. So while it suits the piece to laud the engineering of Mercedes Benz and the bravery of Stirling Moss we should not forget the bearded "geek " who sat beside him.
051-55-5-1-MM-Rudy-Jenks-SM-win.jpg

Denis Jenkinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had three days spectating on the Mille Miglia in 2006 (when it was no longer a race, but a rally) and wrote an article for the Gazette about it on my return. Unquestionably, one of the most memorable events of my entire life and highly recommended to anyone who loves watching beautiful cars actually being driven. Grober is correct in his salutation to Jenks, whose massive contribution is always acknowledged by Stirling Moss.

To achieve an average speed of almost 100 mph for 1000 miles (including stops for fuel and tyres), on those roads, which wind and twist through small ancient towns with unbelievably narrow streets - in 1955 (!) - was a mind-blowing achievement for driver, navigator and the entire Mercedes team.

Small wonder that Mercedes places such a high marketing value on the heritage of their brand - they've earned it.

The noise, makes Italians seem tame somehow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom