sized caliper piston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

i went to replace brake pads on all 4 corners of the new saloon (W124 1995) today.

All went fine with 3 corners.

Apart from passenger front - the piston doesnt seem to be able to be pushed back in far enough to allow the new pad to fit - i think its siezed.

Any ideas on trying to free it/repair it? or is it just eaiser to get a new caliper or a 2nd hand working one?

cheers

derek

There are special tools for winding back pistons.. Draper 33606 is one. Place the thinest pad that you have (old) and try and push the brake pedal, (engine runing) and see if it will come out.

If not replace it

thanks but problem is that those are over the price of a 2nd hand caliper....

i may pop down to my local hardware store to see if i can get a more heavy-duty clamp to see if that helps. the one i have been used is pretty cheapo but it did the job for the other side ok....

cheers

thanks but problem is that those are over the price of a 2nd hand caliper....

i may pop down to my local hardware store to see if i can get a more heavy-duty clamp to see if that helps. the one i have been used is pretty cheapo but it did the job for the other side ok....

cheers

I use a lever (iron bar), if it will not go back with that then the calliper is not really useable on the car.

I am not sure of the lasting effect of a siezed piston if its freed off

good news - i bought a new clamp - iron thing - much more robust than the cheapo one (although new one was only £5) - worked a treat - piston now in and brake pads in!

sounds like the old clamps were just not upto the job!

I have used a large G clamp+1 old pad quite successfully in the past on the single piston floating caliper type once you have removed the bottom locking screw and rotated the caliper to get access

There are special tools for winding back pistons.. Draper 33606 is one. Place the thinest pad that you have (old) and try and push the brake pedal, (engine runing) and see if it will come out.

If not replace it
the kit you quoted the part number of ris for a single piston caliper with park brake built in to i, mercedes do not use this design as they have a seperate drum insdie the rear disc for the park brake

check the dust sheild on the caliper as this can tear causing dirt to enter seizing the piston which may be ok now but will cause problems in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom