Skew Bridge in Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Right, let's put the collective might of MBClubUK to work.

A few weeks ago I drove from Edinburgh to the M74 and passed under a particularly impressive skew bridge. I've retraced what I assume was my route on Google Earth (probably the A702, but it was Digital Doris who called the shots) but have failed to find it.

Does anyone know of a skew bridge (rail over road, probably on a disused line) in the Borders region, somewhere between Edinburgh and Gretna?

I wait to be amazed.

IIRC there is that type of bridge if you cut the corner to the M74 on the road to Abingdon, it's sort of to the right of Lanark if you look at a map of GB with Scotland at the top. Will look a bit further when I get home this weekend if no ones solved it but it seems to be in the right area you are speaking about :dk:

Which end of the journey - Edinburgh end or M74? Any towns/villages you passed through? And was the bridge in open country or in a built-up area?

I know a few roads on that area, including the A70 and A702, but I can't think of one where there are bridges over the road. Plenty where the road goes over other things!

Which end of the journey - Edinburgh end or M74? Any towns/villages you passed through? And was the bridge in open country or in a built-up area?

I know a few roads on that area, including the A70 and A702, but I can't think of one where there are bridges over the road. Plenty where the road goes over other things!

That's what puzzles me. The journey was from Morningside to the M74. I can't be certain of the exact route as Digital Doris was barking out the pace notes, but I'm fairly sure the bridge was nearer the M74 end of the trip. It was before the Clyde starts to run alongside the road. I'm also fairly sure it's not a railway in current use. Maybe a disused railway or a canal?

Sadly, I can't remember any of the places I passed through. I let DD do the navigation and I just drank in the stunning scenery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom