• A Sunday in April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Saturday in May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Sunday in May

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you said , I can't help wonder if a typo has slipped in there ?

I would NEVER use cadence braking on any ABS equipped car , not even an older ABS equipped car . Of my personal fleet , only my two newest ones have ABS : these are a 1986 W126 and a 1987 W201 , but I would imagine you would classify these as older ABS equipped cars ; the rest of my cars are somewhat older and in some cases don't even have dual circuit brakes or all round discs , never mind ABS . As well as my own cars , ranging from around 20 years old to over 50 years old , I regularly drive new ones , including current model S Class , E Class and C Class models - I can't say that I would put any less reliance on the ABS on my older cars that that on the new ones , so I don't see why anyone would use cadence braking when ABS is available ? I know that some newer cars have brake-by-wire , brake assist etc and that braking performance will have improved , but why would anyone wish to use cadence braking on an early ABS car - even a W116 , the first model to introduce the feature , as it will always stop best with maximum effort sustained on the pedal ?

There are still a great many non-ABS vehicles in use , so cadence braking is still a valuable technique to learn . A lot of people either choose to drive older vehicles because they like them , or do so simply because they cannot afford newer ones . Even for drivers of newer vehicles it can be handy to know , just in case the unlikely scenario of your ABS system failing at a critical moment should ever arise .

Totally agree with you on all of the above, cadence braking is a great technique for non abs cars particularly race cars. My comments were really based on the early Ford ABS systems which were particularly appalling and as pointed out by xpc316e one of the Hendon instructors crashed one as the system was so bad, In the performance sierra days even with abs there was a benefit from cadence braking in terms of better stopping distance and manouevreability, I guess ABS was in its infancy at this stage on "family" cars and no doubt some of the German systems were far better and more efficient making cadence braking redundant.

I note you are from Ayrshire and I spent a lovely day there yesterday in Ayr , Craigie and Kilmarnock, and do quite regular, nice part of the world you are from. :)

Last edited:
Getting the thread back on topic :p

Do we have dates decided yet?

M.

A Saturday in March is the favourite but only 6 of us have voted, guess we need to decide how long to let the poll run before we arrange it last list was

1. Bolide
2. Flanaia1
3. Smiddyboy1
4. Spinal (with maybe 1 more)
5. c240sport97
6. Carrotchomper (On the tentative proviso that the anti-hijack stuff goes ahead, I've done skid pans on my response driving course!)

12. J. (tentative)[/quote]

So thats 8 of us listed but only 6 votes.

Anymore for anymore this will be a great day out :bannana:

I'd like to do this. It will depend on the day because I have holidays arranged around that time.

Thanks for trying to get this off the ground.

Philip

I'd like to do this. It will depend on the day because I have holidays arranged around that time.

Thanks for trying to get this off the ground.

Philip

Will try and come back with a selection of dates to try and accomodate everyone but please vote in the poll so we have an idea of what month we are aiming for be good if you could make it

regards
Ian

Will try and come back with a selection of dates to try and accomodate everyone but please vote in the poll so we have an idea of what month we are aiming for be good if you could make it

regards
Ian

Any date's fine for me. Or alternatively "As bad as any of them" since work is somewhat demanding. With enough notice I should be able to book whatever date it is off.

Any date's fine for me. Or alternatively "As bad as any of them" since work is somewhat demanding. With enough notice I should be able to book whatever date it is off.

^^^^^ What he said! , Also any date for me, and I'm a definite :bannana:

I'm pretty free so can fit in with most dates....:rock:

I haven't voted as I'm pretty open on dates

Last edited:
My 2 "guests" don't get a vote :p

So I'm really voting for 2 or 3, and I don't care which date it is (as long as it's a weekend)

M.

regards
Ian

Any date is good for me....

I don't mind which date

If anyone's travelling up the day before I can recommend a visit to the RAF museum at Hendon. Compared with Duxford it's a small museum but it's extremely evocative and some of the displays are very moving. If you've not been I can recommend it 100%

I took a friend's 13 year old son up there. When he saw the photos of Upper Street in Islington after it had been bombed it all clicked into place for him. He knew the road and the buildings and to see it ruined & littered with debris made the war very real for him

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Don't know why this is not in Events section.

Moved.;)

In regards to lifts - if anyone needs a lift from Heathrow/Uxbridge (or anywhere not too far from me) I can probably give you a lift (as long as you don't mind riding in a really messy car :p)

M.

In regards to lifts - if anyone needs a lift from Heathrow/Uxbridge (or anywhere not too far from me) I can probably give you a lift (as long as you don't mind riding in a really messy car :p)

M.

You have a few months to clean it...:D

OK it looks as though a Saturday in March is the favourite but still only 8 of us multiples of 3 are best so if we could get another one? Also could those below confirm they are still on for it and I'll talk to Hendon on Monday and come back with a provisional course programme and cost.

1. Bolide
2. Flanaia1
3. Smiddyboy1
4. Spinal (with maybe 1 more)
5. c240sport97
6. Carrotchomper (On the tentative proviso that the anti-hijack stuff goes ahead, I've done skid pans on my response driving course!)

12. J. (tentative)[/quote]

Look forward to hearing from you all :)

I'd be quite interested... if you guys can pinpoint an exact date i can actually say if i'll go or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom