Skinny wheel tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zenman63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 L450 Range Rover 4.4 AB, 2015 GTs 2017 Range rover evoque
Just going all over my new ML and want to refurbish the skinny wheel, its a nice black amg alloy but like all the wheels on this ML there curb up! how you do that is beyond me.
So before I take it to my local refurbish guy how do you get the folding tyre off the rim?

What is a folding tyre? Your having a laugh, skinny wheel :confused:you mean space saver :dk:

No its a tyre that folds up so it fits the space.
Yes is a space saver, skinny wheel.

Sorry never heard of a folding tyre before, if it's anything like removing a normal tyre then you are going to have a struggle on your hands, might be bast take it local tyre fitters and ask them to remove, you don't want to go damaging the rim with leavers and the likes
Cheers Ben:thumb:

Oh i am not doing it my self, its going to my local wheel refinishers , just asking if anyone had any experience on getting the folding tyre off as I cannot see how you can do it.
Folding tyres are used across Mercedes cars that have big brakes and need a big rim but have a small space to fit it in like the 171 slk, and the ML63 AMG.

Ureaka moment, that must be what my car must be missing, my cars fitted with run flats and I have nothing in the spare wheel compartment, my cars fitted with 18" wheels and the diameter of the compartment must only be 15"
Do you think that's what is missing from mine?

Does this 'folding tyre' need inflating before you use it please, and then deflating to fit the space? And do you need to carry a pump as part of the kit?

geraldrobins said:
Does this 'folding tyre' need inflating before you use it please, and then deflating to fit the space? And do you need to carry a pump as part of the kit?

I'd never heard of or seen this before, just type folding tyre Mercedes Benz in to YouTube and watch.

It does need inflating before use, a pretty clever invention I'd say.

Thats the one, very cleaver idea and have used on on my sons SLK.
Question is how do you get the tyre off the rim!

I'd never heard of or seen this before, just type folding tyre Mercedes Benz in to YouTube and watch.

It does need inflating before use, a pretty clever invention I'd say.

Porsche have been using them for years. My mates 87 carrera had one.

Very ingenious
They're less ingenious if you ever actually need to use one. Never get a puncture when it's a nice sunny day it's always dark, wet and when you have a boot full of stuff and a car full of people. Where are you supposed to put the full sized (wet and dirty) wheel that doesn't have a collapsible tyre...
Obviously not an issue if it's flat but don't do what this unfortunate lady did in the case of a damaged tyre without deflating it first BBC News - Woman dies after tyre explosion

While my old s124 has a full size spare the space for it was designed around the standard 195/65r15. Mines got the sport chassis and 205/60r15s are a tight squeeze so zero chance with the 225/45r17 that are on the car. As a result there's know a can of tyre goo in with the origional spare wheel because i'm never gonna get a puncture when the boot is empty. Obviously law of sod say that if ever needed the tyre will be too damaged for goo to stand a chance of working

I drove 90 miles on one and apart from 50mph you could not tell it was on the rear of an slk 350.

Audi Allroads use the same "shrinking" spare system because the air suspension compressor takes up space in the wheel well and a standard sized tyre won't fit there...

A 12V tyre pump is supplied to bring it back to thje right diameter when you need it..

As expected, in 30000 miles, I never needed it and it was still unused when I sold the car at 138000 miles...

In my first car (Mini), I blew-up 3 engines during my ownership (too much lead foot!), but never had a flat tyre. It would have been more logical to carry a spare engine!

After phoning everyone about getting the tyre of including the tyre manufactures who said people just buy a new wheel and tyre from the dealers!

I have done it with the tyre on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom