Sky HD box playing up... failed recordings etc

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by A210AMG, Sep 5, 2011.

1. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

Hello

Since we changed to sky HD around 2 years ago we have had a few issues. So far we are on our 3rd box !!

The last one was replaced in November and this one is now giving 'failed recording' message when we record anything.

I rang sky thinking an engineer would come out and look / swap the box. Anyway it turns out they only have a 90 day warranty when the box is replaced so we are out of warranty??

1) Is that correct 90 days or is it sales of goods act and all that...

2) I've googled the problem and it could be the H/D or the PSU as the clock as got out of sync with the timer?

I can change the h/d for a new 1tb or 1.5tb one and see? or will look into the psu swap.

Should I get this fixed by sky though? as they went on to offer their warranty at a cost per month.

Seems cheeky to leave me paying a monthly subscription to yet not providing equipment to do the job.

Thanks in advance

2. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Phone up SKY customer services and explain that you are extremely dissapointed in their treatment of you (their customer). Explain that you have wasted time and effort on previous visits and unless they can reslove this to your satisfaction without charge, you wish to cancel their service.

This usually gets their juices going (and it should) nearly all of the boxes that they replace are reworked units most of which have come back into the loop as No Fault Found. So you inherit the last persons fault that SKY's repair vendor could not find.

3. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I don't even bother with Customer Services, I go straight through to cancel my Sky subscription.

They then ask why I want to cancel and I tell them that my box is out of warranty and I'm not paying for another one so I'd rather cancel.

An engineer is usually despatched within a day or two.....

4. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    Just buy a second hand one from your friendly local ariel guy, I paid £40 for mine when the original went wrong....

5. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ thanks for the above

I have looked at 2nd hand ones and they are cheap enough.

If I keep mine I would rather add a larger drive if this solves it.

I have a reset to try and hope that this doesn't delete what is on the H/D this #may# work... but some of the forums suggest its a long shot.

6. AMGeed

AMGeed Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 E63 Biturbo
    Sky did a re-set on our Sky+ box and it wiped everything pre-recorded on the HD.

7. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ the sky method does I'm sure I only googled it and the forum the other method suggests says it keeps the info....

I'm expecting to lose it but worth a try

8. markmifsud

markmifsud MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
    theres a way to mount the skyhd drive in your PC, and copy off all of the data "copy+" then copy it all back to your new HD. I did this when I changed to a 1tb hd.

9. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ I've been told this and working in IT we have access to docks etc that make it easier :)

Thanks

10. crockers

crockers MB Enthusiast

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    I'm with Sweetpea on this. If you're paying close on £750 a year for their service the least you should expect is a working box. When my ordinary non HD played up out of warranty I emailed Murdoch direct requesting they cancel due to poor customer relations. I got a call next day with an engineer with me 24 hours later and a new box plus bits to the dish. All comPlimentary.

2 people like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ Can you pass on the e-mail

:)

please

12. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

13. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

OK so after I found the e-mail addresses above I sent an e-mail

Nothing too bad just a paragragh explaining my problem.

1) Within 1 hr I had a call back from a lady in the escalations team
    2) She explained its not good enough, the box's I have had in the past are as new even though second user.
    3) She is organising a date for a NEW not second user box to be fited.
    4) I will now have a 12 month warranty with the new box.
    5) She said to keep her contact details and deal with her in the future if ANY problems.

All in all what they should have done in the first place, however creidt to her for the call and being so polite etc.

Assuming I have the new box fitted (and I already have e-mail confirmation of this) then all is well :)

Great

2 people like this.
  14. crockers

crockers MB Enthusiast

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Sad one has to do this but I'm glad it worked for you too. Just read the post so saves me trawling through emails on my old laptop to find it. Phew
    :thumb:

1 person likes this.