Sky HD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
I have just installed a Sky HD box and had it paired with my existing Sky+ viewing card.

I am watching a HD channel and quite frankly I can't really see a difference.
The TV is a 42inch plasma which is definately HD ready and the HDMI control seems to be functioning.

Should the difference be really obvious, should I look at a HD broadcast and go WOW or is it just fractionally better or have I forgotton something? :confused:

TIA

Not all channels are HD... Just the HD ones...

The BBC HD Preview should be 4times the quality of Sky1

Not all channels are HD... Just the HD ones...

The BBC HD Preview should be 4times the quality of Sky1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried a few HD channels (including BBC HD) and it just looks the same.
If I try Sky 1 and compare it to Sky 1 HD it looks the same; sometimes I think perhaps it is a little sharper but not significantly.

Should it be glaring obvious is the question?

Cheers

Okay go and stand about 1 foot away from the TV.

Put it on something like Hallmark or Channel 5.

Look at peoples hair and look at the artefacts (digital inperfections) around their faces.

Then do the same on an HD channel.

If you can't see the difference either its you or its the box.

:D

I have just installed a Sky HD box and had it paired with my existing Sky+ viewing card.

I am watching a HD channel and quite frankly I can't really see a difference.
The TV is a 42inch plasma which is definately HD ready and the HDMI control seems to be functioning.

Should the difference be really obvious, should I look at a HD broadcast and go WOW or is it just fractionally better or have I forgotton something? :confused:

TIA

If you cant see the difference, then there is something wrong. HD is far far superior to SD.

You need to make sure that your HD box is set to output at the best HD resolution that your Tv supports. Mine is set to 1080 and it looks awesome.

Not all the HD channels broadcast in HD, sometimes they just mirror the sister channel. You can tell by pushing "i" and seeing if it has an HD in the text at top right.
Then you will a massive improvement in things such as football and rugby, expecially if you set your telly to either 720p or 1080p and not 720i or 1080i. Other programs are better in the reverse.

check your eyes.
the quality difference is as clear as crystal.
better still walk into any comet shop.
al their Tv shows are now on HD

Hello,

You should notice a difference, I walked into my dads house after he had install a home cinema room and wow !! he had some HD animal program and it was very clear.

As others have said make sure everything is sending the signals out in HD and the TV is set correctly, also daft as it seems make sure the HD leads are all fully connected and pushed in.

Not sure if its worth the extra £10 a month yet? from what my dad says there is little he watches in HD

Hope you get it sorted

User error as normal. I was not viewing it through the TV's AV input so it was not HD at all.
Sorted now and can see the defference but still not convinced it is worth the extra £10 as so few channels are broadcast in HD.
Will try it for a couple of days and then decide.

Thanks for all of the help and advice.

User error as normal. I was not viewing it through the TV's AV input so it was not HD at all.
Sorted now and can see the defference but still not convinced it is worth the extra £10 as so few channels are broadcast in HD.
Will try it for a couple of days and then decide.

Thanks for all of the help and advice.
I totally agree with you, Nibbo.

Like other colleagues on here, I've seen HD broadcasts in shops, and must say that every time I go to Selfridges in Birmingham I make a pilgrimage up to the electrical section to gaze at the HD demos up there.

However, it seems that most wildlife programmes look stunning in HD. I have to say though I saw Sky Sports in HD over the summer and wasn't blown away by it (and it was set up correctly) - it just lacked the wow factor.

At the moment the lack of HD choice, coupled with the DVD format confusion means I'm gonna sit on the fence a little longer.

Think my dads in the same boat,

Initially it looks great and the wildlife programs do look great BUT there is very little he watches in HD and very little actually broadcasted in HD,

Think he will be reviewing it...

I have HD as Ima gadget junkie, and Guess what.... yes I totally agree with you, in fact the only thing I watch is the football, and even then only when its my team playing.

Might watch the rugby on Saturday though, its getting very exciting and as good old Mr J wilkinson plays for my local team its even better.

sky is waste of money

Perhaps for you. For others, its great.

I resisted giving Mr Murdoch any money for years and years and years as I personally do not like him one little bit. However, what sky offer as a service is very good. The picture quality is excellent and the choice varied. I probably only watch about 1% (if that) of whats available. But I watch the normal four channels just for the clarity of the picture and the HD for its clarity too. The Sky + feature is great too.

Have to say since we have had Sky and ots only been 3 months or so its great.

Prior to sky I had freeview and no recording device.

Now we have a recorder, is does series link and like the other day our little one decided to have a moan just as top gear started I hit the pause button.

Great bit of kit and for £26 with phone and Broadband its only £6 more than I was paying for broadband alone.

Well worth £6 a month in my book.

In what respect is it a waste of money? most things we buy could be classed as a waste of money? do we need them? there are cheaper alternatives of almost anything thats why its nice to have a choice.

:)

Have to say since we have had Sky and ots only been 3 months or so its great.

Prior to sky I had freeview and no recording device.

Now we have a recorder, is does series link and like the other day our little one decided to have a moan just as top gear started I hit the pause button.

Great bit of kit and for £26 with phone and Broadband its only £6 more than I was paying for broadband alone.

Well worth £6 a month in my book.

In what respect is it a waste of money? most things we buy could be classed as a waste of money? do we need them? there are cheaper alternatives of almost anything thats why its nice to have a choice.

:)
A colleague has Sky (I think HD, + and 2 room?) and is paying *£65* :eek: per month.

I must admit that the broadband and phone offer looks amazing value, but I've heard horror stories about their broadband service and I rely on it for work. I did use Sky as a lever to get my BT package reduced though!

Ditto.

Told BT that sky had offered me a good deal and they gave me the 8Mb Home hub and all the package free for 6 months and then £17 for the next 6..

I have just upgraded to a second Sky HD box to go with the new big LCD TV I bought with the money I got from selling my prevoius CLS wheels! (How's that for a tenuous link!)
I love the quality of picture and would always put quality over quantity.
Which brings us to the downside. There is nowhere near enough HD content to justify having HD really. However some people smoke! How do you justify that!:crazy:

check your eyes.
the quality difference is as clear as crystal.
better still walk into any comet shop.
al their Tv shows are now on HD
Yes, but going into Comet? Must we really?

[TV/Audio Snob]

There doesn't seem to be that much shown on HD at the moment but that will get better. A lot of American shows are HD now.

When I ordered mine we were watching Lost, 24, Husstle all on HD but at the moment the only good thing seems to be Heros and I've already seen that on Scifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom