Sky Losing Discovery and Eurosport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another opportunity for Amazon or Netflix or BT perhaps.

Or perhaps a sign of something more fundamental.

In our household we reached a tipping point after the middle of last year where the amount of broadcast TV watched dropped to the point where I'm thinking the TV licence could be dispensed with.

Talking with friends and neighbours I get the impression that broadcast TV is going to be in crisis withion the next few years.

The only area where I see customers being sticky to the likes of Sky in the future is live sport.

Don't mind paying a little extra for the programmes i love, we don't have movies or sport so what's the point if Discoverys 12 channels go??

I've already instigated switching from Sky to BT TV as a result, as almost all the channels we watch are on BT TV, and as a BT broadband (infinity 2) customer I will save £28 per month by switching! Why should I pay Sky £32pm and BT £6pm for BT Sport when I can get all I want from BT TV for £10pm - OK, there's a £10 delivery, £20 for the wireless adapters I'll need as I can't ethernet cable the box to the router, and another £30 to make the box work with my magic eye system to the remote TV's, but I'm still going to save over £300pa!!

The last few nights Discovery channels have had a ticker running for a few minutes stating Sky customers will lose their channels.

Sky getting a taste of their own medicine, remember when Virgin Media lost Sky channels over money.

There will come a point in the near future when many subscribers are going to look at Sky and Virgin and say, stuff this, its too expensive. Everyone has a price that they think is too much.

I've already instigated switching from Sky to BT TV as a result, as almost all the channels we watch are on BT TV, and as a BT broadband (infinity 2) customer I will save £28 per month by switching! Why should I pay Sky £32pm and BT £6pm for BT Sport when I can get all I want from BT TV for £10pm - OK, there's a £10 delivery, £20 for the wireless adapters I'll need as I can't ethernet cable the box to the router, and another £30 to make the box work with my magic eye system to the remote TV's, but I'm still going to save over £300pa!!

BT are going start charging their customers for the BT Sports channel.

We were considering a while ago to move to NOW tv as it has Discovery for less than a full sky sub, but obviously as that is part of sky, Discovery will be gone from there too. We've just started a new broadband contract with EE so can't get the channels via internet for a while yet :wallbash::wallbash:

Why not just add £1 onto the discovery package? Oh wait, they seem to have a price hike every year or so anyway.

Plenty of other avenues to get these channels, Sky will lose out if their customers are willing to put a bit of effort into moving.

Now that Liberty Media own F1 and Virgin Media I wonder how long Sky will keep that channel too.

you can currently subscribe to eurosport player for a discounted price of £20 per year.

Sky channels being removed due to contract disputes with Discovery | Daily Star

If they go then so do I, over 60% of my tv is on a Discovery Channel. Sky will over pay for football (which i despise) at the expense of everything else.:wallbash::wallbash:

I remember the bidding war for the right to show premier league games, which was being covered and analysed on BBC Radio 4.
The analysts worked out that each game that Sky showed, regardless of which two teams were playing, would cost them around £11.5 million.

The analysts worked out that each game that Sky showed, regardless of which two teams were playing, would cost Sky subscribers around £11.5 million.

Fixed that for you Paul;)

Sky have got multimillions pouring in. Have you seen their profits?
Only £524m for a 6 month period!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35436405

Last edited:
There will come a point in the near future when many subscribers are going to look at Sky and Virgin and say, stuff this, its too expensive. Everyone has a price that they think is too much.

I think the shift to on-demand changes the way people consume TV and it will force them to change their subscription models.

Phew, the eldest lad watches pretty much most of what Discovery offers and the only channel the wife really watches is Investigation Discovery so we'd have been knackered!

Even though I can, I'm not changing my mind as BT's package is not only £28pm cheaper for me, it gives me HD on channels we frequently watch but only currently have in SD. OK, it involves some up front cost and inconvenience (powerline-type adapters and second hand Youview+ or Youview UHD boxes from ebay), but within 6 months I'll be money ahead, plus having the advantage of wife and I being able to watch different channels in different rooms. I'm also going to try linking our 2 PC's to the router via the mini connectors (BT's Powerline jobbies) rather than dual band wireless dongles, hoping it will be quicker and more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom