Sky multi-room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
In the hypothetical world....

If my father in law has Sky multiroom, and I have a sky box, disk, etc....but no subscription, would it work ?

Nice idea - Don't know whether it would work but I do know that the T&C state that both boxes must be connected to the same telephone line - permanently. I wonder if it phones home periodically; thus if no phone home from correct number, you get charged for two boxes.

Nice idea - Don't know whether it would work but I do know that the T&C state that both boxes must be connected to the same telephone line - permanently. I wonder if it phones home periodically; thus if no phone home from correct number, you get charged for two boxes.

Correct. If both boxes don't phone back from the same line CLI then you get charged for an additional subscription.

The reason why you have the phone connected is so that when your box rings SKY they can see if you have watched any Pay stuff and they can then charge you for it

The reason why you have the phone connected is so that when your box rings SKY they can see if you have watched any Pay stuff and they can then charge you for it

Yes that is correct. (actually, the satellite sends a signal to your box and tells it to dial into SKY to report what you have watched and when. This is normally in the middle of the night, in the hope that you wont be using the phone line at that time. Depending on your credit rating you might get up to £50 worth of films/extras before it HAS to dial in to report). (when you order something all the box generally does is ensure that there is voltage on the line - so it knows (or thinks..) that it will be able to dial out later. That way it will still let you order something if your wife is on the phone while you are trying to get that box office movie on)

and

With Multi-room both boxes must be connected to the same line and the line number is checked periodically by SKY to ensure that it is the same on both boxes. I install telecommunication systems for a living and when installing a system in a particularly wealthy owners house we had to ensure that all boxes (all 5) reported back the same CLI. This was discovered when the owner received a bill and a letter from SKY explaining that they needed the CLI to match in order to ensure that the boxes were at the same location.

I think I just answered the question again but in more detail this time ;)

Whilst it would be possible to spoof the CLI it would cost more than the saving, so this is a perfect security measure for SKY.

Last edited:
Yes that is correct. (actually, the satellite sends a signal to your box and tells it to dial into SKY to report what you have watched and when. Depending on your credit rating you might get up to £50 worth of films/extras before it HAS to dial in to report)

I always loved the story of where the box rang SKY and froze. When the guy came home he had a bill for £2,300.

I always loved the story of where the box rang SKY and froze. When the guy came home he had a bill for £2,300.

I've never put a digi-grabber on the box (or checked a bill) to see what number it dials, but you would think they would have set up an 0800 number for the boxes to call !!

(that said, money grabbing sky could have set it up on a premium number !!)

We had a similar situation where the skybox kept on dialling out so whenever anyone called the house it was permanently "engaged."

In the end we just disconnected the phone line and told sky that we had.

They couldn't actually solve the problem so it has stayed disconnected til today.

KJ

I am confused :confused: (again!).

I disconnected my sky box from the phone line because it was 'crackling' and interfering with my broadband.
I have watched a box office movie and have been charged for it by sky so how does that work without a telephone connection?

it doesn't! And it is a freephone number...you are not charged!

I disconnected my sky box from the phone line because it was 'crackling' and interfering with my broadband.

You need to use an ADSL filter on your sky phone socket as well as all the other sockets which you are plugging phones/devices into.

Satalite transmission is only one way, so there is no way it could bill you unless it was plugged into the line sometime after you ordered the movie/ppv.

I had an issue with my HD box modem. It was connected to a phone line extension that worked just fine when you plugged a phone in, but the HD box couldn't recognise that it was connected. After a while I got a stroppy letter from Sky reminding me of my contractual obligations. I contacted them and pointed out that I was obliged to keep the equipment connected to a working telephone line - which I was doing, 24/7. If their kit couldn't dial then that was their problem not mine. Never heard any more about it (and tbh if I did I would revert to V+ now they are getting some HD channels online - I already have the cable connected for b-band). No problem on the other box on multiroom. Oddly, no problem booking (and paying for) ppv events either - so the modem must work at least sporadically.

Whilst it would be possible to spoof the CLI it would cost more than the saving, so this is a perfect security measure for SKY.

It's possible to do it on the cheap using a VoIP provider as you can assign the same given (local) number to 5 IP devices anywhere in the world.

I've done it while keeping 2 boxes in the same house as I didn't have a telephone connection, just a cable modem. So technically it is possible as long as both houses have broadband but's it's probably againt $kys T&C

Last edited:
It's possible to do it on the cheap using a VoIP provider as you can assign the same given (local) number to 5 IP devices anywhere in the world.

I've done it while keeping 2 boxes in the same house as I didn't have a telephone connection, just a cable modem. So technically it is possible as long as both houses have broadband but's it's probably againt $kys T&C

Good idea that one, I'll have to remember it !

On Sky boxes where the modem goes down, thats good for me as I sell the owner a new one and sell the faulty one to a freeview customer, I like these deals:):)

You need to use an ADSL filter on your sky phone socket as well as all the other sockets which you are plugging phones/devices into.

Satalite transmission is only one way, so there is no way it could bill you unless it was plugged into the line sometime after you ordered the movie/ppv.

All phone connections did have ADSL filters but with the sky box connected the broadband simply would not work so I disconnected it and all is fine.

I will try to watch another box office movie and see what happens but I am sure I have watched one since disconnecting.

All phone connections did have ADSL filters but with the sky box connected the broadband simply would not work so I disconnected it and all is fine.

I will try to watch another box office movie and see what happens but I am sure I have watched one since disconnecting.

Yes you can do this, but as soon as you connect it will charge you in arrears.
You can watch upto about £50 worth of movies before this will stop working, however as soon as you connect again you will be charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom