Sky Q - Experiences of users - Good or bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
As per the title.........

I am thinking of going for Sky Q but on reading the forums, all the postings seem to be negative which to some extent is to be expected as people rarely post when things are going as they should be.

Bearing that in mind, has anyone any positive experiences to post up, or is it really as bad as is being suggested on the Sky forum?

I've had Q for a month. A Silver box and a mini box in a bedroom upstairs.

Good :- Mini box means no more trailing coax all over the house, this makes it worthwhile by itself.
Wifi extension with the boxes.
Record 4 channels and watch a 5th.
Smaller sexier box with larger HD.

Bad:- Some handy features from Sky+ missing.
Remote smaller and has smooth round back making it hard to operate. Touch pad a bit too sensitive and you can pause/rewind etc by accident when picking it up.
Doesn't recover automatically when loss of signal happens caused by bad weather.
Can't change channel from the Sky Q app.
Channel flicking is slower.

It's probably been rolled out a little early and there's still some development to do. I'm not upset as I've been slowly getting used to it and some of the new features are becoming 2nd nature. There will be software updates coming, hopefully with some of the handy features back.

Thanks Peter. I think you final paragraph sums up the general feeling on the Sky Forum - with many echoing the comment about being released before complete or stable.

It is interesting that despite constant promotion of the Q system on Sky existing channels, the take up so far seems very low, and with many people returning the system after a few weeks as a result of connectivity failures. I would imagine there will be more than a few worried heads at Sky HQ until such time as they get the system to be more stable and at least the equivalent of the existing HD system.

Having said all that, overall I'm happy to have upgraded. If you can get the £99 off install then I recommend going for it.

The fact I don't have to sort out recording clashes anymore, plus the coax-less multiroom, makes it worthwhile for me.

It's standard pain for the early adaptors, of which I am usually.

Thanks for the above guys.

Have to say I was and still am skeptical about Sky's ability to reliably stream AV around the average home.

I use a combination of wired ethernet and Wifi (downstairs) and Powerline and WiFi extenders upstairs and still I get drop out. Radio's ok - but iPlayer can be a pain.

So tempted as I am to rip out Sky's hard wired boxes in different parts of the house, they stay for now. Although more than happy to make the switch when the consensus reports that Sky's managed to achieve reliable plug and play. Although, not sure they are going to solve it with new drivers alone - speaking as somebody who spent a few years writing 8250 and 16250 UART drivers and they enjoyed hardwired connections...

Chris

Peter DLM said:
No issues with the mini box in the bedroom yet.

Whilst I have said on another thread that I don't like swearing, I do like seaside humour, and all I can say in response to this post is: tee he he!

Sky have tried getting me on to this Sky Q thing and it would actually save me money in the long term so this thread is of definite interest.

Update:

I've had Sky Q fitted in the new gaff (bigger memory box with three multi rooms) and it's a revelation, it takes a lot to impress me but it has done. Using the "old" system at the in-laws the other made theirs feel really clunky.

A few neat touches with the multi rooms is you can transfer your music to play through it and they also work as a wifi booster signal so if you're house is quite big then you won't struggle for signal.

Update:

I've had Sky Q fitted in the new gaff (bigger memory box with three multi rooms) and it's a revelation, it takes a lot to impress me but it has done. Using the "old" system at the in-laws the other made theirs feel really clunky.

A few neat touches with the multi rooms is you can transfer your music to play through it and they also work as a wifi booster signal so if you're house is quite big then you won't struggle for signal.

Cheers for that. Phoning them today!!

Did you get sky broadband as well??

Cheers for that. Phoning them today!!

Did you get sky broadband as well??

Yes.

Another feature I like is you can be watching a film/programme on one box, pause it then go and watch it on another box in the house.

All very seamless.

Yes.

Another feature I like is you can be watching a film/programme on one box, pause it then go and watch it on another box in the house.

All very seamless.

Does Sky broadband throttle or block any Kodi related stuff do you know?

Hi

I have had Sky Q for about a month now with no issues - although I only have 1 TV I find it much better for my purpose - being able to record without the worry of clashing programmes. Got a good deal with Sky - only £35 install and £2 extra a month.

Also like the idea I can watch a different programme on my iPAD.

I would recommend it.

Last time i had sky (few years ago), it was fine all good, then they fitted a new updated smaller sky dish (FOC), after this when we got freezing winter temps below 0 the tv picture would freeze, and i mean all night...contacted sky, they told me that was a normal issue, ice on the dish, nothing they could do weather related...got rid, been with BT since, i wondered if the dishes still had this problem in the winter icy months?:confused:

They seem to be offering the world at moment to attract new customers...kodi must be making an impact:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Folks, don't forget that if Sky offer you a "free" upgrade to your box it may come with a 24 month contract in the small print.

Folks, don't forget that if Sky offer you a "free" upgrade to your box it may come with a 24 month contract in the small print.

Yeah that's right buy since I've been with them for 14 years without a realistic competitor on the horizon I fear it will continue.

What is Sky Q, how much does it cost and how can I get it? - Pocket-lint
In terms of WiFi connectivity all I would say is " Harmonics" there is so much wireless stuff out there now that your wireless signal may be degraded by noise from other wireless devices, routers etc. And remember these may not be your own but a neighbours crappy old modem/router that's seen better days - particularly applicable in a multi occupancy property such as a block of flats. Meaning---- a new piece of kit may work perfectly in one location but may be a bit "buggy" in another. Just sayin. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom