Sky Q vs Sky+ HD: What's the difference and should you upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not if you use Kodi, with a decent addon, rather than going to a website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPX said:

Nothing Ablock (on chrome) couldn't block and if it couldn't, having Mbam and especially Rkill (if you encounter Malware that recognises anti-malware file names! :eek: ) pre-installed on the machine would soon get rid of the culprit fast

Also keeping these two programs on a USB stick with the file-names renamed is a massive help, as they've got me out of the mud on a few occasions

Last edited:
My wife and I haven't watched live TV broadcast since Autumn 2013 ... Between a few hundred Blu-Rays and DVDs; over 40 TV shows (some 5-6 series) and 50 movies on iTunes; TV; BBC iPlayer; Demand5, etc, etc; not to mention some US channels (I have US iTunes account too) there is simply not enough time to watch even a fraction of what's available.

What's on tonight? Whatever we decide to watch! And no TV licence ... :thumb:

I was under the impression that you must have a TV licence to (legally) watch ANY TV in the UK. Applies to watching any live TV on a computer as well I believe. And I think applies to watching catch-up channels as well.
Dont know if you can watch recordings without a licence. :confused::confused:

I was under the impression that you must have a TV licence to (legally) watch ANY TV in the UK. Applies to watching any live TV on a computer as well I believe. And I think applies to watching catch-up channels as well.

Indeed, from the website..

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

Whereas ..

"If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV."

Official TV Licensing website - Check

Does not apply to catch-up, and I haven't recorded a TV program in about 30 years. Never watch any TV on my computer either - that's what the 3D monster of a screen in the living room is for.

The key here is not the medium, but LIVE TV BROADCAST.
Which we do not watch.

"If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV."

Precisely! And that's why I do not need a TV Licence :thumb:

@GLK
Do you have the TV connected to an aerial, does it have a functioning tuner i.e. is it capable of receiving live broadcasts?

I was advised if one has a TV capable of receiving live broadcasts one had to have a licence.

whitenemesis said:
@GLK Do you have the TV connected to an aerial, does it have a functioning tuner i.e. is it capable of receiving live broadcasts? I was advised if one has a TV capable of receiving live broadcasts one had to have a licence.

I think they have to actually go to near the premises and check don't they? Or is that a myth?

Unless he's using it via broadband connection I don't think there's anything they could do to prove he doesn't use live broadcasting

@GLK
Do you have the TV connected to an aerial, does it have a functioning tuner i.e. is it capable of receiving live broadcasts?

I was advised if one has a TV capable of receiving live broadcasts one had to have a licence.

True, but I had a nice lady from TV Licensing Office over, and she confirmed - no need for the licence. That was back in November 2014.

There's no [functioning] wiring for Sky or Freeview or any other aerial coming into the flat.

The whole thing started in 2013, when Sky signal went down for us and the penthouse next door, and Sky couldn't get ours back on for over three weeks (cable damaged inside the walls or something like that), after which time we realised we don't actually miss it. So we told them to forget it, cancelled subscription, informed the TV Licensing Office and never looked back to be honest. All that flickering through hundreds of mostly useless channels with remote control is in the past! :thumb:

I think they have to actually go to near the premises and check don't they? Or is that a myth?

It's a myth!
I think it is simply the case that, the non-licenced addresses are highlighted in their database, that's all.

Unless he's using it via broadband connection I don't think there's anything they could do to prove he doesn't use live broadcasting

See above post - no aerial signal, so no live TV :thumb:

It used to be they used detector vans that could detect the timebase frequency of an operating set (old crt tech) but now its simply assumed every address has a tv..

Recently finished a new house. When I bought the site it had an official address. Neighbour had been taking post in & handed me the post which contained threatening letters from TV licencing.
Initially I ignored them. Part way through construction the letters got more threatening stating they had started an investigation, then they would file a court case. I gave in and phoned them, took ages to get through, explained that this was a building site and I would let them know when the house was complete & occupied. The letters stopped for a couple of months then started again. I ignored them. When they started to get seriously threatening again I had a visit from a G4S security man on behalf of tv licencing. As he had eyes he could tell that it was an incomplete house and didn't need a TV Licence. He said he would update their records and the letters should stop.
1 month later the letters started again. I ignored them all. About 4 months later the house was complete & occupied. I assume the buyer has a TV Licence.

So.............
Aside from the cost what are the big differences between
Smart Android TV Box
and
Smart Media TV box
I would be looking for simple to operate and recording capability - presumably USB stick or USB hard disc? We also have an underused NAS drive if that could be used?
By simple to use I mean simple to locate the programs she usually watches!

So.............
Aside from the cost what are the big differences between
Smart Android TV Box
and
Smart Media TV box
I would be looking for simple to operate and recording capability - presumably USB stick or USB hard disc? We also have an underused NAS drive if that could be used?
By simple to use I mean simple to locate the programs she usually watches!
Bump

The box in my link earlier will do those things. To give you an idea of what its capable of have a look at just 5 add ons out of the thousands you can choose to make your viewing very varied.

[YOUTUBE]/watch?v=y28H9kYe1bQ[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom