Sky TV walk away deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

Just a quick FYI.

I upgraded my SKY package Friday night. The proposed cost went from £45.50 to £65.50 which I ummed and ahhed about. Then they said that I'd need to pay another £6 if I wanted the upgrade in HD (Prem League). All of this with a new 18 months contract.

So I said thanks but no thanks - not as a negotiating ploy, just wasn't prepared to pay another £26 a month on top of what we were already paying. We already have Prime, Apple TV and Netflix.

Quick as a flash and before I could hang up, the guy on the other end said something along the lines of, hang on, there's some new deals coming up...

:rolleyes:

The new offer was an extra £10 a month with no contract, although it would only run for a maximum of six months. My SKY contract ends in Jan anyway.

That's £16 a month less than originally proposed and no min contract. This offer is not available online. I wonder how many pay full price via that route?

SKY reported gross profit of around £1.5bn in 2017.

Just a quick FYI.

I upgraded my SKY package Friday night. The proposed cost went from £45.50 to £65.50 which I ummed and ahhed about. Then they said that I'd need to pay another £6 if I wanted the upgrade in HD (Prem League). All of this with a new 18 months contract.

So I said thanks but no thanks - not as a negotiating ploy, just wasn't prepared to pay another £26 a month on top of what we were already paying. We already have Prime, Apple TV and Netflix.

Quick as a flash and before I could hang up, the guy on the other end said something along the lines of, hang on, there's some new deals coming up...

:rolleyes:

The new offer was an extra £10 a month with no contract, although it would only run for a maximum of six months. My SKY contract ends in Jan anyway.

That's £16 a month less than originally proposed and no min contract. This offer is not available online. I wonder how many pay full price via that route?

SKY reported gross profit of around £1.5bn in 2017.

I find calling the Cancellation section of a company rather than the Sales line can bring good results if you want to negotiate, also, some websites will suddenly offer you a discount if you try to leave without a purchase :)

It’s quite common with sky, my wife does this every 6 months when her special deal is due to end. Usually slices our bill in half of what it should be.
Can’t fault her ways, I am a little lazier and would likely just put up with the inflated cost.

When I rang up to cancel they offered me nothing, just something along the lines of "sorry you're leaving, your service has now been cancelled." - Admittedly when we moved last time and I said I was going to cancel, they gave me half-price service for six months.

Never paid full price for Sky. Generally get 50-60% off. Current deal is 60% off for 18 months with no contract so I can cancel at any time.

Friend of mine is on a smaller basic package and has 75% off, paying £8 pm for the then £32 package

I’m paying £30 for that £65.50 package. They always do a deal if you say it’s too expensive. Worth 5mins on the phone. I just say I’m not really watching it and find Netflix has a better selection!

Cancelled my Sky subscription two tears ago. My 8 year old Sky+ box kept locking up. Asked for a new one and they refused. Pointed out new customers were given a free 32"TV and a free Sky+ box but they would not budge. Wanted £250 to replace the box. Rang them up and cancelled my Sky contract. During this process the kept reducing the cost of my package from £45 right down to a final offer of £15 per month for six months then £29 after.
Told them all I wanted was a new Sky+ plus box that didn't keep locking up so I could watch the product I was paying for. They point blank refused and lost a customer so I ended up buying a freesat box and saving £45 per month. Definitely don't miss the adverts. Showbox and TerrariumTV fill in the gap nicely.

^^ You could have just bought one from eBay for around £20 and rang them up to pair your card to it

^^ You could have just bought one from eBay for around £20 and rang them up to pair your card to it

Yeah, before the days of Sky Q. We had a multiroom setup, the box they included FOC was ****, no recording etc. Sky wanted I think £200 for the + box. So I simply bought a SKY+HD box for £15 online, and then rang up sky to pair it to the multiroom card. No issues.

I recently cancelled my sky subscription after 8 happy years with them, it went downhill pretty quickly.

As you Chris, I have Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV, etc and use Youtube a lot too, so we've just found ourselves using sky less and less.

So I called to cancel, they did all the usual retention ploys, but I made it clear I wouldn't keep the service if it was £5/month, as I just don't use it and want the STB and dish gone. They cancelled, and we parted company happy.

Then, I started getting plagued by calls from an 0800 number which when I answered, nobody was there. I googled it and every "who called me" site said with pretty much 100% consensus that it was Sky's retention dept, with lots saying "scam", blah blah.

I ended up wasting about 4 hours of my life going round in circles on the phone several times to Sky to get them to stop contacting me. Eventually I had to "exercise my right to erasure", which wasn't straight forward either, and the guy on the phone even changed my details to fake ones so it'd be impossible to contact me even via a software glitch.

On one of the calls, I needed to get through to the cancellation department again (a few days later) and the initial Indian call centre you're put through to was pretty rude... "Can I speak to the cancellation team please?". "Why do you want to cancel?", "I've already cancelled", so he put me through to the team to start me up again assuming I'd had a change of heart. :wallbash: So around we go again. "Why do you want to cancel", "I"ve already cancelled, there's an issue with the cancellation though, so I need to speak to that team can you just put me through please?" "How can you cancel an account that's already been cancelled?" :mad: Rage face at this point...

What a way to spoil a good relationship with last ditch attempts to grab some money.

I've a 2TB Sky+HD box for sale shortly if anyone is interested.
If they sell for silly money now though, I'll just take the drive out of it as my NAS is telling me that one of the 4 drives is on it's way out... :)

I've a 2TB Sky+HD box for sale shortly if anyone is interested.
If they sell for silly money now though, I'll just take the drive out of it as my NAS is telling me that one of the 4 drives is on it's way out... :)

Looking at eBay sold listings around £30-£40

Freeview and Amazon Prime along with catch up on the tablet fulfills all of our needs, neither of us will never voluntarily watch football or most other sports.

It took a lot of time to convince the EE Salesman a few months ago that I wanted to keep my old mobile 'phone and pay less each month (for far more data.............!!!) because he kept telling me I would not be able to use the BT Sport app. He could not compute my total indifference.............:D

because he kept telling me I would not be able to use the BT Sport app. He could not compute my total indifference.............:D

I had a similar chat with Sky.
I explained I only ever watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4 OD and Channel 5.
He started, "Don't you watch Sky Atlantic?", nope. Sky Living?" nope, "Sky Sports?" nope... and on it went. It was as if he was expecting to say something like "Sky Arts?" and I'd say "OHH yes! Ok, I'll keep it then..." :rolleyes:

"So, why do people pay for SKY?" He asks, while watching Tiger claw his way into contention for the PGA on www.Pga.com....

tiger-woods-pga-championship.jpg

Last edited:
We’ve got Sky Sports and Movies package and I do this every year and always end up paying, at the most, 50% of their advertised charges.

Also got full BT Sport package but that’s on a deal through our internet provider PlusNet but like some others, this year I’m seriously thinking of cancelling the big Sky packages and just keeping the minimum that includes Sky Atlantic and then getting Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom