Sky TV walk away deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've also got a giant old Samsung 1080p which I bought in 08. Can't bring myself to replace that given it still has a great picture and it's only 18 months or so since I sent 2 motorised B&O widescreen CRTs to the tip :confused:. No secondary market for them alas.

I've got the same issue that's kept me from upgrading for so long. My big old LG 1080P 47" is about 10 years old and still going strong. Just can't bring myself to replace it, but eventually had to given how far technology has come and how far it was lagging behind. No market to sell it, and can't really pass it down the chain of other rooms in the house, as it's too big and bulky.

Might have to just put it in the loft in storage as it's basically valueless but I'd rather keep it than take a perfectly working 47" LCD to the tip.

I've got the same issue that's kept me from upgrading for so long. My big old LG 1080P 47" is about 10 years old and still going strong. Just can't bring myself to replace it, but eventually had to given how far technology has come and how far it was lagging behind. No market to sell it, and can't really pass it down the chain of other rooms in the house, as it's too big and bulky.

Might have to just put it in the loft in storage as it's basically valueless but I'd rather keep it than take a perfectly working 47" LCD to the tip.
Charity shop maybe?

Or, at our tip they have a shed for working stuff which is re-distributed to the needy (or tip workmen maybe).

I considered that but given it's always been wall mounted, I don't have the base for it anymore.
Can't really give a TV that won't stand up on it's own to a charity shop I don't feel. :confused:

In our experience 'Charity' shops around here are very picky. Disney DVDs are hot props, but TVs, in fact anything that is hard to move, or takes up a lot of space, they don't want to know. There was one doing an enterprising scheme whereby they asked you to post an ad on Craigs or similar, with a view to giving them the proceeds. But other than that...

John Lewis are also good, we got our new Sony OLED (KD65AF8) from them! Very impressed with both the TV and John Lewis. :)

Also been impressed with SKQ Q, the interface is very nice. Not ‘THAT’ big an upgrade compared to the SKY+HD though. Although at least you can watch some UHD content which is good :)

Yes looking forward to 4k - although mostly for football. Re JL, not sure how old you are, but 20 years ago JL offered superb customer service. There was a no questions asked next day replacement policy if something went wrong. But over the past few years we've seen that change, especially since they started outsourcing warranty claims. I've noticed their online review rating has dropped down to 1-2 stars too and recently saw they'd been accused of removing bad reviews on their website. Something they've done to me in the past.

Have you ever been to their High Wycombe store on the M40? It used to be dedicated to homeware - so kitchens, furniture and electrical. The range was incredible. For example, a whole wall section, probably 50 feet long, dedicated to kitchen knives. But now they've turned about a third of it over to women's clothes, much of it permanently on sale. No surprises that they are struggling. Although perhaps thats bricks and mortar retail in general.

Regarding old tele’s. We’ve picked up a clearance bargin Smart TV from Richer Sounds for our Bedroom. (Mainly for YouTube music) there’s nothing wrong with the 40” Samsung we took off the wall. Unlike @MancMike :D we popped the glass base/stand in the loft when we bought the tele. So when I have time I’m going to list it on EBay, collection only with 100% of the wining bid going to charity. Even if it raises a tenner it’s better than taking it to the tip. :)

Regarding old tele’s. We’ve picked up a clearance bargin Smart TV from Richer Sounds for our Bedroom. (Mainly for YouTube music) there’s nothing wrong with the 40” Samsung we took off the wall. Unlike @MancMike :D we popped the glass base/stand in the loft when we bought the tele. So when I have time I’m going to list it on EBay, collection only with 100% of the wining bid going to charity. Even if it raises a tenner it’s better than taking it to the tip. :)
But what about the satisfying crash when you throw it up and over the side of the skip onto the top of all the other tellies?

I love the sound of breaking glass.

But what about the satisfying crash when you throw it up and over the side of the skip onto the top of all the other tellies?

I love the sound of breaking glass.

Breaking big glass is nothing new when you come from Manchester. :D

(And if I’m being picky modern day teles ain’t got glass screens. :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom