SKYPE Newbie - Where do I start?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
I have tried reading the threads on here about Internet phones, but quickly get lost as folks talk about VOIP and DECT and other foreign words... :confused:

I look at my monthly phone bill and see that my wife has called her mother and sister twice a day every day (and I called for a Pizza delivery once - wife was out, visiting sister :D ).

I see on ebay that I can buy a box to plug into the PC and my current cordless phone (used to have a phoneless cord - much cheaper).

Can I just buy a box, plug in, download SKYPE software and hey presto, free calls?

I am happy to buy boxes for mother in law (hmmmmm, mother in law in a box...:devil: ) and sister in law if it makes all of their inter-calls free too.

Is this the way to go?
Can anyone post a link to a decent box to do this?
Do I get a new phone number?
Can I make calls on the regular line whilst the SKYPE phone is in use?

Please, no complicated words like "dongle" or "widget" without explanation.

TYVM

I am a ludite, I know.

:rolleyes:

Buy a cheap headset with microphone, plug into PC speakers and mic socket. Download Skype software and follow the onscreen instructions! Bobs your aunties uncle!!:bannana:

Once you have done it, tell your mother in law what to do as well and free calls for everybody!!

I have found it is very relient on connection speed, broadband is best. If you are on broadband your ordinary phone will work as well while you are using Skype.

HTH:D

OK - what you need - as a simple wife friendly solutiopn is the little box you have seen on ebay.

Plug in the phone, and the pooter with skype on it.

ditto the other end (the mother in law / sister)

Pick up phone, press #, press 4.... this then rings at the mother in laws... free.

You can make cheap(er) international calls with this system as well - but you have to buy credit with skype - read their website. Basically the call goes into the internet, and pops out near the other end - be it bromsgrove or billabong... it makes little to no difference.

You dont need a magic box - you could just use the speakers / mic on a laptop to chat both ends (or a headset plugged into the pooter) - you can use the skpe program to 'dial' the mother in law. The pooter rings, not the phone itself in this case. as benzcomander says... :rolleyes:

VOIP = voice over IP (internet)
DECT = digital wireless phone - clearer wireless home phone. nothing to do with skype etc.

no new number. you have a skype 'ID'

can use regular phone at the same time

yes - its a great system
hth

Last edited:
BenzComander said:
Buy a cheap headset with microphone, plug into PC speakers and mic socket. Download Skype software and follow the onscreen instructions! Bobs your aunties uncle!!:bannana:

Once you have done it, tell your mother in law what to do as well and free calls for everybody!!

I have found it is very relient on connection speed, broadband is best. If you are on broadband your ordinary phone will work as well while you are using Skype.

HTH:D

I kinda started with this but moved on....

I have a mic and speakers, but (dont want my wife sat in the room with me all the time talking to her mother) - errrr, want the freedom to roam around the house. :crazy:

Cheers

Most appreciated.

Assuming both Mother & Sister are in the UK, then why not just get an ordinary phone package that allows unlimited free calls. Even BT do one, it's about £20 month (inc line rental). There are plenty of other providers, too.

Rory said:
Assuming both Mother & Sister are in the UK, then why not just get an ordinary phone package that allows unlimited free calls. Even BT do one, it's about £20 month (inc line rental). There are plenty of other providers, too.

I'm with NTL and the package that offers that would cost me more than the itemised calls...

SKYPE likely to work out better as there is only a single one-off cost.

Cheers

Swiss Toni said:
I'm with NTL and the package that offers that would cost me more than the itemised calls...
Really? You're current bill can't be all that big then?

I'm just dubious that you could a typical wife/sister/mother to use VOIP unless you buy dedicated equipment. Anything PC linked and they just won't bother.

You could use Netgear Skype phone http://www.netgear.co.uk/skype_wifi_phone.php but it's about £150 and you'd need 3 (plus wireless routers). Or something like BT's Fusion package (maybe there's an NTL, or non-service provider tied similar package).

Edited to add - if they are going to use PC's, then you could use a USB connected wireless phone (it'll make sense if you look at the link) such as this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/586882?microsite_id=Linksys_Store

Last edited:
SEM said:
Does messenger offer the same service now?
voice chat im-client to im-client. (Instant Messaging) Not to landlines yet unless I'm mistaken

Hello. I spend a lot of my time away from home, so have just about exhausted this whole technology in every way known to mankind.

Where are your calling destinations, and where will people be calling you from?

scotth_uk said:
Hello. I spend a lot of my time away from home, so have just about exhausted this whole technology in every way known to mankind.

Where are your calling destinations, and where will people be calling you from?

All within the UK, but none are local calls.

Actually, a fair few are calls to mobile numbers (again, within the UK).

:rolleyes:

Grrr. I just typed for 15 minutes and accidentally hit 'back'.

Most important question - does everyone have broadband, and are you happy for the pcs to be left on all the time?

scotth_uk said:
Grrr. I just typed for 15 minutes and accidentally hit 'back'.

Most important question - does everyone have broadband, and are you happy for the pcs to be left on all the time?

Everyone has Broadband and they'll leave it on if I tell em to ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom