SL 1999 xenon headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevin OB

Car
CL 500, SL 500, SL 280, Audi A4 Avant
My SL 500 1999 fitted with xenon headlights ,it has failed the MOT as one of the wipers do not work checked the MOT testing manual it reads

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers. SECTION 4 1.6

am I reading this wrong in saying it is not applicable to a 1999 vehicle .

AFAIK working headlamp washers have always been mandatory with xenon lights. I suspect the bit you mention means that on vehicles registered after 1/9/09 the wash/wipe must work if fitted (regardless of headlight type)?

Yes vehicle after 2009 , So regardless of age of vehicle, if it has Xenon light the wipers must work for it to pass MOT.

I'm not sure that that's correct anymore; the following is an extract from the 2012 mot tester's manual
"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

However, I can't find anything similar in the current manual on gov uk, only what you've already found. There was certainly a view that 'if fitted, must work' but the wording in the current manual, ie for rear fog lights states that must inspect on vehicles first used after xxx etc, or words to that effect, which implies that if first used prior to relevant date, tester needn't check.

It might be worth asking tester to show you the relevant section, as the way I read it, and in the absence of anything to the contrary, I agree with you.

I'm not sure that that's correct anymore; the following is an extract from the 2012 mot tester's manual
"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

However, I can't find anything similar in the current manual on gov uk, only what you've already found. There was certainly a view that 'if fitted, must work' but the wording in the current manual, ie for rear fog lights states that must inspect on vehicles first used after xxx etc, or words to that effect, which implies that if first used prior to relevant date, tester needn't check.

It might be worth asking tester to show you the relevant section, as the way I read it, and in the absence of anything to the contrary, I agree with you.
Thanks for you response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom