SL 320 (129) Suspension too hard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

langlais

Car
SL 320 V6
Hello everyone,

( sorry if you already saw this post on the "engine" forum - I clicked the wrong box !)
Anyway, the ride on my 1999 SL 320 V6 with pneumatic adjustbale ride height is MUCH too hard, and certainly much harder than the 129 500 SL I owned previously.
Detail - the spheres were changed last year by previous owner.
Does anyone know if an error by the people who changed the spheres could cause excessive ride hardness, or if there is any way of changing the hardness ????
Thanks for all your help !

Try this for starters:

ADS Problems solved...but boy is this thing complicated - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

and look for other posts by the same "chriswufgator", who has had plenty of experience.

There's an expert on this forum too, so search for posts here by Richard Moakes.

Also, have a look at this:

V12 Uber Alles, Diagnosing the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) in a Mercedes Benz S600

but note that it relates to the W140 and not the R129. The principles are the same, but the configuration is different.

Is the fluid level correct?

Last edited:
The rate of spring is a function of the gas in the spheres. Either the new spheres are flat or they are the wrong ones with either too little gas or too small damper orifaces, or both.
Other reasons include physical damage or seizure of the struts or suspension joints, or the suspension ride height is at it's maximum setting so removing travel due to being against the bump stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom