SL 320 Roof Lifting Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John042

Car
320 SL, TVR Chimaera
Hi I believe there were some past treads reference availability of hardtop roof lifting frames? I've managed to install a pulley system in my garage and am now looking to find/purchase the lifting frame for a1998 320 SL Panoramic roof. Can anyone point me to a UK supplier please.Thankyou for any replies. John C

They're often known as 'shuttles' a few on here will have them, but not all that want to... they're like hens teeth.
I found this image - not sure who's it is
shuttle2.jpg

I think the only advice I've seen acquiring one is to monitor ebay both here and in Germany.

Good luck!

Thanks for the swift replies. I to found the diagram of that hoist kingdave:thumb: I've managed the pulley and cable system so that it doesn't take up to much height, it's the lifting frame I want. I did miss one on e*** some time ago but guess my option is Germany. Thanks. John C.

Thanks for the swift replies. I to found the diagram of that hoist kingdave:thumb: I've managed the pulley and cable system so that it doesn't take up to much height, it's the lifting frame I want. I did miss one on e*** some time ago but guess my option is Germany. Thanks. John C.

Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick, I thought you were after the other type of lift. To get just the harness should be much easier. My r107 came with one but I've not been able to mount a pulley, so I'm the opposite to you.

Did the easyhoists link from Doodle show you anything useful?

Hi kingdave, yes easyhoist do market one at about £500+!! I have considered making a webbing cradle but am a bit reluctant give the cost of a panoramic roof and the weight, about 45 kgs. Might be lucky and find one secondhand. Cheers John C.

I would make a simple frame from timber with some padded webbing.

Can't cost much to do.

On this subject, what's the best way to sore the hardtop? Mines lent against the garage wall rear screen at the bottom:confused:

On this subject, what's the best way to sore the hardtop? Mines lent against the garage wall rear screen at the bottom:confused:

A proper storage trolley is probably the best option. You can also get padded bags which can be hung on the garage wall (with the hardtop inside).

I have mine in a padded bag, on a storage trolley :D

A proper storage trolley is probably the best option. You can also get padded bags which can be hung on the garage wall (with the hardtop inside).

I have mine in a padded bag, on a storage trolley :D

Okay no trolley or padded bag. :( Should I lean it against the wall or just lie it flat or are both these options a no no that will result in untold damage and mayhem.

Hi kingdave, yes easyhoist do market one at about £500+!! I have considered making a webbing cradle but am a bit reluctant give the cost of a panoramic roof and the weight, about 45 kgs. Might be lucky and find one secondhand. Cheers John C.

Hi, I have made a webbing cradle for my panoramic roof, I used
50mm webbing ratchet straps, I have a electric hoist to lift the
roof off, the straps need a bit of adjusting but the weight isn't
a problem. make's the garage roof creak a bit though, but
perfectly safe.

Looking at that easyhoists illustration you could easily make up a frame using (if you have no access to welding equipment) gas pipe, the cast iron type with screw fittings and a few polishing pads at strategic points where the frame contacts the roof.
There are various 90 degree and tee connectors available.......you could make a very strong frame up with a little thought.

Okay no trolley or padded bag. :( Should I lean it against the wall or just lie it flat or are both these options a no no that will result in untold damage and mayhem.

I would lean it against the wall, screen at the bottom (as you have done). Search on eBay for a trolley.

I have a bag I bought and never used.

Thanks for the suggestions. My preference is to use webbing straps, possibly two loops across the roof front and rear? Cheers J C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom