SL 350 and not a SL 55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelSB

Car
SL 350 R230
Well having intended to buy a SL 55 I have ended up with a SL 350, I realised during my search for a SL 55 that I have had all the performance cars over the years that I ever wanted and a SL 55 while a fabulous car would to me have been a step in the wrong direction, having sold off all of my small collection of cars last year.
All I really wanted was an easy to run and maintain weekend car so the cost of maintaining a SL 55 seemed pointless as performance wasn’t what I was looking for, yes I will miss out on the fantastic exhaust note of the SL 55 but that’s about it.
so hopefully I will enjoy my SL 350 and tinkering with it and at a fraction of the cost of a SL 55. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻😀

Weekend cars are generally cheaper to run, and if any work needs doing, you can wait until funds allow.

That said, good luck with your 350 👍
Oddly it isn’t about funds it was at 68 I sold my performance weekend car collection as driving fast is no longer what it was with cameras and slower reflexes at my age so I just asked myself, what do I really want from a weekend car and performance wasn’t it, but I do want to tinker and a SL 350 is just within my skill set, I am fortunate to have a 4 post ramp in my workshop for tinkering and a heated garage for the car.

Oddly it isn’t about funds it was at 68 I sold my performance weekend car collection as driving fast is no longer what it was with cameras and slower reflexes at my age so I just asked myself, what do I really want from a weekend car and performance wasn’t it, but I do want to tinker and a SL 350 is just within my skill set, I am fortunate to have a 4 post ramp in my workshop for tinkering and a heated garage for the car.
The SL 350 is a very nice car.

You can’t keep dropping “weekend performance car collection” into conversation with spilling the beans!

Fair enough 👍 and I’m very jealous about your garage and lift 😎

Ps and I know what you mean. I have the 55 and find myself pottering about in it, I rarely use the paddle shifts.
It was difficult to make the choice I did because the SL 55 as you well know is far more than the exhaust note but I had to consider what did I really need.

If you want it to sound better either replace the exhaust or just do a back box delete
I know what you mean about age/performance, I only potter about in the SL63 now, but it does sound good hehe :)
kc

It was difficult to make the choice I did because the SL 55 as you well know is far more than the exhaust note but I had to consider what did I really need.
Yep, I just wanted a v8. The 55 was not my first choice, originally I wanted an AM Vantage. Then I saw the prices of the SL55 and the deed was done. So far (after three years) I’m not regretting it.

Congrats on the SL350.

I sold my SL55 a few weeks ago, and bought a 2016 SL63 instead. I only had one enquiry for the SL55, but got the price I wanted (circa £20k). SL55s are certainly going up in value, I never thought they would after 10 years of ownership, prices seemed stuck for many years, but they are now steadily increasing. I Think if you did not buy one a couple of years ago you may have missed the boat, whether they will continue increasing I do not know. I think low mileage ones certainly command a premium. Mine had done 80,000 miles, which is mid-range. You can still pick up a high miler for reasonable money.

I know what you mean about buying the car based on what you need from it. I looked at the SL55 when I was looking for a weekend car over 5 years ago but decided that at the time my SL500 did 80% of what an SL55 could do but for 50% of the price.

The SL55 has the rarity value, and everyone seems to want one. There is not much running cost difference between an R230 SL500 and the SL55., especially if you run it as a weekend car, as many now are. The purchase price gap is widening, and that will put some people off. The SL55 does seem like a good investment at the moment if prices continue to rise as they have been. Personally I am glad with my decision to buy the '55 - over 10 years of ownership I did not lose much in depreciation.

To misquote Jerry Maguire, you had me at " have a 4 post ramp in my workshop for tinkering ....."

Just press the pedal to the metal when you need to go fast. The 350 will do all you need it to. The rest is just rich people waving at the door.

I use the 350 daily and can vouch that it’s an affordable car for your tasks and the v6 is a surprise in its own right. You look after it and it will reward you with miles and excitement. Well done on your purchase.

I was open mouthed at the 4 post car lift, but more at the 'heated' workshop ...... Most Jealous.

My car of choice, and the one i was hunting for was the SL55 AMG, but after a LOT of looking and researching i decided that i really do not need 500BHP of rear wheel trouble, so opted for the SL500 - I have never regretted that choice. If was going to have a mad moment and decide that my license is far to clean i would have opted for the SL600 .... but that is 12 x the trouble

I did almost buy the SL350, but i couldn't find one in the colour i was after AND in the condition i was after.... it is only a smidge less pokey than the 500 after all.... But the lure of the Big '8' got me in the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom